Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2016, 08:30 PM

1,529 posts, read 916,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
No. Its either english or Putin.
Putin is a language?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2016, 08:47 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,476,108 times
putin will bury you

Old 10-20-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
putin will bury you
Do they have shovels in Russia?

Old 10-20-2016, 03:33 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,476,108 times
with all that oil money, i would hope so. they have nuke powered ice breakers

Old 10-20-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
with all that oil money, i would hope so. they have nuke powered ice breakers
Wow, you don't say!

Old 10-21-2016, 01:45 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,427,959 times
Well, Theresa May got the expected ice cold welcome yesterday at her first European Council Meeting as PM. She got her usual threats from the French. She smiled, and tried to be cordial and polite. It's obviously a waste of time. Once the negotiations start next year, I would think it will become obvious the best thing to do is trigger a hard Brexit, and go for WTO rules.

I have no doubt at this moment, migrants from Europe are flooding into my country, making sure they're safely here before Brexit is triggered. We need to get a move on. Two years of waffling is a long time, and I don't think we should even bother. The other members of the EU are angry, and some want to dish out the punishment. OK go ahead........ let's just get out as fast as possible.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:19 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,882 times
I figure that the least bad offer-consistent with British sovereignty-would be a partial reduction of tariffs compared to that paid by nonmembers.

Thats the advantage "associate" members of Mercosur get compared to nonmembers. Nonmembers pay the full tariff, while the tariff is reduced for associate members.

Old 10-21-2016, 05:05 AM

296 posts, read 260,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
I figure that the least bad offer-consistent with British sovereignty-would be a partial reduction of tariffs compared to that paid by nonmembers.

Thats the advantage "associate" members of Mercosur get compared to nonmembers. Nonmembers pay the full tariff, while the tariff is reduced for associate members.
The thing is, no other non EU member has anything like the trade volume that the UK has. Then you have to factor in the "non direct" benefits of trade, such as job creation. An example is lorry drivers, the UK has created huge numbers of jobs in Poland, Romania, Hungary etc. The same cannot be said if you turn it around, the EU has actually cost the UK jobs in the haulage industry.
My concern is, that the UK is being too "weak", at least that's the impression, of course it could be very different behind closed doors... but

Old 10-21-2016, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kas982 View Post
The thing is, no other non EU member has anything like the trade volume that the UK has. Then you have to factor in the "non direct" benefits of trade, such as job creation. An example is lorry drivers, the UK has created huge numbers of jobs in Poland, Romania, Hungary etc. The same cannot be said if you turn it around, the EU has actually cost the UK jobs in the haulage industry.
My concern is, that the UK is being too "weak", at least that's the impression, of course it could be very different behind closed doors... but
Trade with the UK creates many jobs as you say. Yet, because we want to leave, our PM gets the cold shoulder, and sneering insults from some, especially the French. I know some of this is posturing for their home audience, at least I hope so.

We are not going to fight from a position of strength, but we have some important cards to play. Just the jobs which would be lost here, and in the EU needs serious consideration from all parties.

But, we must not let them try and railroad us. If they do, then we should really consider just walking away. Making sure they understand this is what we will do if necessary. But this is not a threat that can be overused. If we say it, we must be prepared to do it.

Old 10-21-2016, 07:03 AM

I have watched Theresa May's speech before going off for lunch with Jean Claude Juncker. It is pretty obvious that some leaders within the EU think Brexit will somehow go away if they shout loud enough, and keep up the threatening pressure. Mrs May once again stated we would be handing in article 50 before the end of March next year. Maybe at last, they will all believe her, and start accepting it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom