Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 03:28 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Clearly suggesting that they respect the EU is a global force, and have little time for individual nations, aside from Germany.

Maybe the British should have taken the hint from Obama that the USA doesn't favor the UK as a stand alone nation, as it brings NO benefits to them.
I understand that this the attitude of the Chinese-that they were interested in Britain only as a means to access the large EU market. With Brexit Britain becomes irrelevant to them.

BTW, I believe that it is the U.S. foreign policy elite that wants Britain in the EU. The average American probably knows little about the EU and cares even less.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2016, 07:33 PM

861 posts, read 852,442 times
As an average Joe six pack American, no you shouldn't.

If you are a company owner with a European HQ in London then Brexit when it finally happens maybe of interest.

If the British fail to retain access to the European single market, then the problem of "passporting", access to workers (which is already impacting me as continental Europeans are markedly less interested in London based roles even compared to six months ago) and customs tariffs will be a big problem.

Perhaps the UK will form a sort of symbiotic relationship to the US, like Australia has with New Zealand.. But for now it seems unlikely..

Old 09-11-2016, 02:34 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,026,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nam2015 View Post
it might increase the amount of British tourists in Florida or NY, once the Eu applies visas to the UK.
If I were in the eu's shoes, I would milk the captive market, add a few hundred quid to their visa application (which will have to include private medical insurance, no penal record and good financial standing), just enough to still make it cheaper than Florida or Dubai though. Where are they going to go for sun, sex and alcohol? North Africa, Turkey? lol

However they better behave better than in Southern Europe, laws are quite strict in the US, less tolerant of the mischiveous tourists

British travellers 'may need visas to travel throughout Europe'
Personally I've spent my last 3 holidays in Turkey anyway, its a fabulous place, the people are so friendly, I advise anyone to head that way if they've never been before.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:39 AM

Quote:
What does the UK have that the USA wants? Germany exports far more to the USA than does the UK. that might imply that the UK just lacks the means to export more, as clearly one cannot argue that Americans have a greater bias to Germany.

I just get the sense that too many English people just fail to understand that the UK is now a third rate power, just a few steps ahead of India and Brazil. It is NOT the global power that it once was. The only European country that might make that claim is Germany.
Erm a population of people ready to spend their pounds on US imports perhaps????? I think you will find this is the VERY reason why EVERY nation is going to be dead keen to do business with the UK, if you think that anybody anywhere on the planet is not going to want to make money with and off of the British population then you are a fool. Its simple economics, perhaps you should go away and think about it for a while. There has been a reason why the British tend to buy German cars and not American ones you know, now perhaps they will be free to buy other cars from other nations? If our American cousins decide not to sell their cars to the UK then I am sure the Japanese will!!

Old 09-11-2016, 02:41 AM

Quote:
What does the UK have that the USA wants? Germany exports far more to the USA than does the UK. that might imply that the UK just lacks the means to export more, as clearly one cannot argue that Americans have a greater bias to Germany.

I just get the sense that too many English people just fail to understand that the UK is now a third rate power, just a few steps ahead of India and Brazil. It is NOT the global power that it once was. The only European country that might make that claim is Germany.
We could still nuke the f*ck out of you or ze Germans if we wanted to, so I would be a little bit careful about what you say if I were you! ;-)

Old 09-11-2016, 06:06 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,187,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
We could still nuke the f*ck out of you
Using American-made missiles that you lease from us...

Old 09-11-2016, 06:52 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
Using American-made missiles that you lease from us...
Just for clarification, only the launcher is leased, the warheads are all owned and made in Great Britain.

However just to end this sidetrack this is not on topic and further discussion on this specific subject will be deleted as per ToS.

Old 09-11-2016, 06:57 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nograviti View Post
As an average Joe six pack American, no you shouldn't.

If you are a company owner with a European HQ in London then Brexit when it finally happens maybe of interest.

If the British fail to retain access to the European single market, then the problem of "passporting", access to workers (which is already impacting me as continental Europeans are markedly less interested in London based roles even compared to six months ago) and customs tariffs will be a big problem.
In terms of passporting rights in relation to the Financial Markets, last month, the EU’s regulator recommended that passporting rights be extended to firms regulated in Australia, Canada, the Cayman Islands, Guernsey, Hong Kong, Japan, Jersey, Switzerland and the United States.

So the UK would obtain financial passporting rights, whilst Euros like Dollars are a Global Reserve Currency and can be cleared anywhere, meaning that the Financial Sector will not only be free to trade but also free from many EU restrictions, although the majority of UK Financial Transactions are with the US and Far East anyway.

If the EU were to try and stop interanational trade it would very quickly find the world devided in to two markets the EU Financial Market and the Rest of the World, with the Euro no longer being a Global Reserve Currency and the US and other financial sectors hitting back with trade restrictions on EU financial services. Finance is a global market place, the EU does not call the shots.

Daniel Hannan: Repeat after me. Single market membership and single market access are not the same thing. | Conservative Home

ESMA advises on extension of funds passport to 12 non-EU countries

Hollande's Empty Threat To Strip London Of Euro Trading And Clearing Post Brexit - Forbes

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT

To demand that only euro-denominated swaps can be cleared in the eurozone is fine, however such a standard would have to apply to everyone around the world.

That would not only create an anomaly, it would also indicate that Europe may be bringing in a measure of protectionism — which could well prompt a retreat from investors.

Crucially, the euro is a global reserve currency and so can be traded and cleared anywhere, just as the dollar is. A demand to have euro-denominated swaps only cleared in the eurozone would represent a step back from that.

It may also spur tension within Europe. The ECB clearing house policy of four years ago — that London successfully countered — was largely pushed by France, and many German representatives were privately at best lukewarm in their support.

One unknown is whether that raises issues about competition. One could not also rule out American banks and exchanges (especially the CME Group) setting out a legal challenge to a policy that tilts the playing field towards particular European corporations. The CME has been cited in antitrust investigations before — notably into the CDS market.

EU Trade only 6% of UK Companies Trade with the EU and most EU countries have significant trade surpluses with the UK, whilst in terms of Trade Agreements in many cases they are not even necessary, for instance the US and EU have no trade agreement in place, the EU and China have no Trade Agreement indeed you don't need a Trade Agreement to Trade.

The Canadians are going to sign a Free Trade Agreement with the EU, which covers most things with the exception of some Agricultural produce but Trade Agreements are not explicitly necessary in order to continue trading. Although I am sure the UK will now be keen to increase Trade with countries outside of the EU, who already account for the majority of trade.

The only thing that will be acheived by the EU trying to play games with the UK will be less EU surpluses with Britain, less German Cars and goods sold in the UK (we account for one in five of every German Car sold in the world) and less chance of the UK ever coming back to the European fold or cooperating with Europe.

We are quite happy to try and forge a workable EU Trading Deal as the Canadians are doing, and it is in the EU's own interest that we do establish a workable deal.

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-11-2016 at 07:34 AM..

Old 09-11-2016, 07:04 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Furthermore if the EU decides to impose Visa Restrictions on those outside the Schengen Agreement then there may well be a tit for tat situation. Britain is France's second-biggest supplier of visitors with 12m Britons crossed the channel to visit their Gallic cousins, so any visa charges and other red tape could have a devastating effect on French tourism.

Could red tape for British visitors to Europe soon get more tangled? | The Independent

Paris is not always a good idea: Britain adds to France's Woes - The Economist

Thankfully the majority of the ideas put foward by the EU are not realistic and never come in to fruition.

Old 09-11-2016, 09:04 AM

48 posts, read 50,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Personally I'm very hopeful it only strengthens ties between both the UK and the US

For both you and us
Why do some British have such a servile attitude towards America? Britain sometimes looks desperately clingy when it comes to America, ironically enough America barely takes notice of Britain and focuses on China, Russia, the middle east, the EU.

America actually wanted the Uk to stay in the UE as it was a key allie for America and its influence in the European union. With Britain out of the EU, Britain becomes virtually useless in America's European interests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom