Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 05:24 PM

177 posts, read 257,604 times

Advertisements

England is a great country but due to crime and immigration,the English are leaving their country in droves everyday.plus English weather,better buy a Brolly :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 03:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New England Yankee View Post
England is a great country but due to crime and immigration,the English are leaving their country in droves everyday.plus English weather,better buy a Brolly :-)
I must be the exception in this case as I've just returned from travelling the world and I can safely say there is no place like home!

Old 03-11-2008, 04:50 PM
p3x

2 posts, read 3,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsage View Post
This is a quote: Eating out does not have to be expensive as we have lots of wonderful pubs that do some cracking grub for really good prices.

In a pub in say Kent or somewhere outside of London, what does a mug of beer cost? Here in Denver, Colorado we have a place callled Streets of London Pub, going inside you find it to be a typical bikers bar with over priced beer ($3.00 a draw) At a sporting events here in Denver, beer can cost $5.00 for domestic beers and $7.50 for a foreign brew.
Can you get what we call a hot dog over here, and if so what would you put on your dog? What would you have with your beer?

a pint of larger would cost about £2.60. we have hot dogs and usually we put mustard, tomato source and onions.

Old 03-11-2008, 05:07 PM
p3x

2 posts, read 3,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
I haven't gone to law school yet. I'd plan on coming the U.K. for some form of schooling (I'm not sure how law schools are set up in the U.K.) and earn a law degree there. About the above answers, when they say 30K, is that in pounds?
if you want to go to university in the UK you need exceptional SAT scores, or if you become a UK citizen you can go to college for free and study for your A Levels. You study 3 A Levels, and to go to some of the best universities in the country you would need to obtain at least grades AAB. you can get a scholarship from any university in the country. And you can get up to £3000 per term in grants for living costs. You would study for your undergraduate degree for 3 years and post graduate for 1 year. and then you would take solicitor or barrister exams. solicitors practive law in the magistrates courts (petty stuff) and barristers practice law in the crown courts (serious stuff), depending on your skill most barristers earn up to and over £1 million. only barristers can become judges. in the uk and they tend to be white males with a few white females. very very few black judges. no asian judges. the legal system in the UK tends to be very white and male dominated. everything depends on your age how old are you? you should try a few university websites i would recommend;

[url=http://www.liv.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/M100.htm]Law: LLB (Hons)[/url]
[url=http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/courses/law.html]Law - University of Oxford[/url]
[url=http://www.lincoln.ac.uk/home/courses/law/undergraduate/law/index.asp]LLB Law[/url]

wikipedia can tell you all about the legal system in the UK. hope this helps.

Old 03-12-2008, 05:16 PM

296 posts, read 802,945 times
The UK is a beautiful and great country. If I didn't have family living in the USA, I wouldn't look back.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:26 AM

161 posts, read 474,344 times
The NHS is not terrible - you are told stories like that by the likes of Dick Cheney, all of whose own Health Care is paid for by you, the US citizen - socialized medicine for him, of course!

I have had 2 babies in NHS hospitals, and both were wonderful experiences. The after care - Dr. visiting 2x a week for a month, then Health Visitor - was so good. Our family doctors' surgery is just around the corner, and we can see them on the same day of asking - on the next hour, if the request concerns a sick child. When my husband had a kidney stone, he was seen within 45 seconds at our local hospital, was made pain free in 8 minutes, and home after tests in 1 hour.

That's just my experience. Oh, and it's free at the point of need, as it ought to be. Does that mran we pay for care we don't need? Sure it does. But a measure of a civilized society, in my view, is how we care for those who cannot affrod to pay. This is where US health care falls down.

Old 03-18-2008, 06:08 AM

342 posts, read 1,793,554 times
Default Then There Is The Other Side Of The NHS

Quote:
Originally Posted by amyalta View Post
The NHS is not terrible - you are told stories like that by the likes of Dick Cheney, all of whose own Health Care is paid for by you, the US citizen - socialized medicine for him, of course!

I have had 2 babies in NHS hospitals, and both were wonderful experiences. The after care - Dr. visiting 2x a week for a month, then Health Visitor - was so good. Our family doctors' surgery is just around the corner, and we can see them on the same day of asking - on the next hour, if the request concerns a sick child. When my husband had a kidney stone, he was seen within 45 seconds at our local hospital, was made pain free in 8 minutes, and home after tests in 1 hour.

That's just my experience. Oh, and it's free at the point of need, as it ought to be. Does that mran we pay for care we don't need? Sure it does. But a measure of a civilized society, in my view, is how we care for those who cannot affrod to pay. This is where US health care falls down.

For example, my dear Mother in Law, who fell at work 18 months ago and dislocated her shoulder. Instead of doing an MRI and surgically mending her torn ligaments, they popped her shoulder back in the socket and sent her packing. Now at 69, the woman can barely do her activities of daily living. When I saw how badly her muscles had atrophied I was horrified. You can sing the praises all you want of the NHS, but I will take a healthcare system where at least they will try and properly fix the problem, rather than take the cheapest way out. She and her husband have paid into the NHS their entire lives and this is the way she is treated. It is criminal in my opinion. And what I have witnessed if you are a "old age pensioner", good luck getting quality care. As far as it being free, I remember a good portion of my wages being deducted every month for NHS fees.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:41 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,234,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hc7612 View Post
For example, my dear Mother in Law, who fell at work 18 months ago and dislocated her shoulder. Instead of doing an MRI and surgically mending her torn ligaments, they popped her shoulder back in the socket and sent her packing. Now at 69, the woman can barely do her activities of daily living. When I saw how badly her muscles had atrophied I was horrified. You can sing the praises all you want of the NHS, but I will take a healthcare system where at least they will try and properly fix the problem, rather than take the cheapest way out. She and her husband have paid into the NHS their entire lives and this is the way she is treated. It is criminal in my opinion. And what I have witnessed if you are a "old age pensioner", good luck getting quality care. As far as it being free, I remember a good portion of my wages being deducted every month for NHS fees.
It's very sad that your Mother in Law had such a bad experience and is suffering as a result, but I think a lot of it is a geographical lottery. If you look at the performance tables for hospitals across the country you can see a huge variation in success rates.

My mum had a great experience last year getting heart surgery.

They didn't immediately force the cheap quick option on her, they gave her the choice between a much longer operation with a longer recovery time but better prospects, or a quick fix with quicker recovery that may not be as reliable. They also said that if she wanted them to decide for her, they would do, and said afterwards that she made the right decision going for the long op.

But she's lucky enough to live near an excellent NHS hospital with a first class track record in that type of treatment.

I think if I could afford it I would go private to be on the safe side, but as it is I'm reasonably happy to take a chance with the NHS.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:03 PM

342 posts, read 1,793,554 times
Default You Could Very Well Be Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
It's very sad that your Mother in Law had such a bad experience and is suffering as a result, but I think a lot of it is a geographical lottery. If you look at the performance tables for hospitals across the country you can see a huge variation in success rates.

My mum had a great experience last year getting heart surgery.

They didn't immediately force the cheap quick option on her, they gave her the choice between a much longer operation with a longer recovery time but better prospects, or a quick fix with quicker recovery that may not be as reliable. They also said that if she wanted them to decide for her, they would do, and said afterwards that she made the right decision going for the long op.

But she's lucky enough to live near an excellent NHS hospital with a first class track record in that type of treatment.

I think if I could afford it I would go private to be on the safe side, but as it is I'm reasonably happy to take a chance with the NHS.
Unfortunately, Doctors in the same area let her walk around with undiagnosed Hypothyroidism for probably a decade. She kept asking me what could be wrong with her? Why she was so dizzy and fatigued? She had told me they did bloodwork and it was fine. I ask her to ask her Doctor if they had checked her Thyroid. They had not. They then drew the thyroid panel after SHE suggested it, and found out that her thyroid hormone was non-existent. I can only speak for how things are done here in the US. When a woman of child bearing age or greater presents with fatigue, a doctor that is worth his or her salt orders a thyroid panel. So you could be correct. It could be her local surgery and nearest hospital. This was the same surgery (but a different doctor), who diagnosed my Father in Law with a Hiatal Hernia and he dropped dead 2 months later of a massive heart attack.

I guess you have to look at the flip side. Our healthcare in the US is more expensive, but Doctors as a whole will test until they find out what the problem is. I know that malpractice lawsuits are rampant and alot of them uncalled for. However, they keep our physicians on their toes and they make sure to try and diagnose correctly.

I am truly glad that your Mum is doing so well. I wish my Mother in Law were. I feel as if I were there, I could have spoken up for her and read them their rights. Unfortunately, I was not, and she does not speak up for herself for fear of being a "nuisance." When I think that the elderly are getting the shaft, it makes me a little testy!

Old 03-19-2008, 08:54 AM

54 posts, read 305,624 times
Default What can I expect?

So, when I move to London, what will be very different from my life in the U.S.?
Do you have cable TV with a digital recorder box (like TIVO)?
Current American television shows?
Can I get my U.S. prescriptions filled?
Are there any larger washing machines?
Can I find Rice Krispies and Wheaties cereal?
Starbucks, McDonalds, Chick-Fil-A, Whataburger, Chilis, etc.?
How much will I be surprised that isn't available?
How happy will I be at how it won't be much different?

THANKS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom