Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 05:11 AM

14,831 posts, read 11,953,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
Indeed, east home. Perhaps the UK will manage to greatly diversify its trade. Which would suit the UK's past as a maritime trading country.

As for North America, the UK already exports to North America to a considerable degree. Greatly increasing these exports will make the UK a major trade partner.
Our American cousins are always prepared to give British produce a go, unlike our Euro friends who simply look down their noses at anything British:-

https://www.cornishpastyco.com/locations/

This guy has opened these restaurants in the US thousands of miles away from the UK, what do you think his chances would have been opening a restaurant a few miles away across the channel in France?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2017, 08:33 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,986,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
our Euro friends who simply look down their noses at anything British:-
[/url]
I have to wonder-other than the size of the market, what if anything (worthwhile) do the Brits get out if the EU? So much hassle....

east home, you can find polls online in which citizens of one country rate different countries. For example, U.S. citizens in general (unlike certain politicians) rate the UK very highly.

A hint that British exports will be welcome in the world's largest consumer market.

(BTW, I hope that Dean Thomas will open a restaurant in Seattle.)

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 12-27-2017 at 09:11 AM..

Old 12-27-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
I have to wonder-other than the size of the market, what if anything (worthwhile) do the Brits get out if the EU? So much hassle....

east home, you can find polls online in which citizens of one country rate different countries. For example, U.S. citizens in general (unlike certain politicians) rate the UK very highly.

A hint that British exports will be welcome in the world's largest consumer market.

(BTW, I hope that Dean Thomas will open a restaurant in Seattle.)
I do generally believe that British 'goods and services' would sell better throughout the 'Anglo' world (and perhaps beyond) than within the EU, there is too much EU prejudices towards the UK.

Old 12-27-2017, 04:03 PM

I don't understand this prejudice.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 12-27-2017 at 04:19 PM..

Old 12-31-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
I don't understand this prejudice.
I think its something to do with history, world stereotypation (sorry if I made that word up!!) and the fact that there is a kind of cultural 'Anglo' world.

Old 03-08-2018, 01:23 PM

I've notice recent articles regarding a Commonwealth country-Guyana. Regarding large off shore deposits of oil and natural gas.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:43 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,475,850 times
Today, the new Trans Pacific Partnership agreement was signed in Chile by 11 nations: Australia, Brunei, Canada, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore and Vietnam

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/08/w...pp-signed.html

Quote:
Now, signatories are opening the door for China to join. Heraldo Muñoz, Chile’s foreign minister, told reporters on Thursday afternoon that Chinese officials had been weighing the possibility of signing on.

This will be open to anyone who accepts its components,” Mr. Muñoz said. “It’s not an agreement against anyone. It’s in favor of open trade.”
It looks like the U.K. has the opportunity to join.

Old 03-08-2018, 10:02 PM

7,644 posts, read 6,444,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Our American cousins are always prepared to give British produce a go, unlike our Euro friends who simply look down their noses at anything British:-

https://www.cornishpastyco.com/locations/

This guy has opened these restaurants in the US thousands of miles away from the UK, what do you think his chances would have been opening a restaurant a few miles away across the channel in France?
I think for once the french are right about pasties. Those things back me up.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
I think for once the french are right about pasties. Those things back me up.

Well luckily enough your assertions don't really matter.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:07 AM

I was looking at the Express web site. Consider this article-"EU FURY: Brussels threatens to SUE Britain if Fox secures exemptions from US steel Tariffs".

The article talks about Liam Fox working to get Britain exempted from Trump's steel tariff.

I doubt that British officials can dissuade Trump from waging a trade war, but perhaps Liam Fox can sweet talk Trump into allowing exemptions for British industry.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 03-16-2018 at 11:30 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom