Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2016, 10:46 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,985,036 times

Advertisements

Angola has a lot of potential...if you are willing to do business with a nasty regime...put up with extensive corruption.....

The country's largest source of income is oil exports. The second largest source is diamonds.

Came across reference to an LNG plant (Liquified Natural Gas).

Other minerals listed as being of "exploitable quantities": copper, gold, lead, manganese, tin, uranium, wolfram, zinc, phosphates, granite, marble, asphalt, talc, mica, feldspar, fluorite, sulphur, quartz, kaolin.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 11-06-2016 at 11:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2016, 11:30 PM

As I recall, Angola has potential in fisheries, forest products, and hydroelectric power.

The country has a history of tropical and semi-tropical agriculture. A problem for farmers-land mines left over from civil war.

A navigable river, the Kwanza River, connects the farmland to the Atlantic.

You may run into Chinese in this country-they have been building infrastructure.

Old 11-06-2016, 11:40 PM

Default demining

Came across reference to a project to remove land mines in Angola. A Japanese endeavor, with British support.

This project could be deemed a form of public goods. Something that would clearly benefit the local population.

Old 11-07-2016, 12:21 AM

In general, a basic strategy is to make a trade deal which encompasses as large a population as possible (population = customers). Another consideration is aggregate GDP/wealth.

So the European Union has been of particular interest as a trade partner, in terms of both population and wealth. On the other hand, the economic component of the EU is a customs union, which complicates things.

Large populations has been a criteria for Brexit Britain's strategy. Therefore: China, India, USA as top choices for Britain.

Martin Hutchinson's criteria were based on what Britain needs to import: energy, raw materials, food. By these criteria, he thinks that the Pacific Alliance will complement Britain's economy. He didn't mention Angola, but theoretically that individual country would fit his criteria exceptionally well.

Based on Hutchinson's criteria, Ghana (which lined for a trade deal with Brexit Britain) and Cuba (which hosted a British trade mission) could be useful trade partners.

Based on Hutchinson's criteria, the European Union is not a very good match for Britain.

George Friedman commented that the British built an empire so they wouldn't have to depend on Europe.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 11-07-2016 at 12:57 AM..

Old 11-07-2016, 01:26 PM

Regarding exports in term of services.....

I have looked at web sites that have evaluated Britain's options. To summarize, an adequate alternative market must be as large as the U.S. market.

Old 11-17-2016, 02:46 PM

The attributes of what might be called a conventional, or traditional currency:

1. Medium of exchange

2. Unit of account

3. Store of value

I bring this up because of a web site I came across, which indicated some interest in Britain in cryptocurrencies, such as Bitcoin.

As I understand it, Bitcoin's main use is as a medium of exchange across the Internet, for retail. So far, 2 and 3 not really, not yet. Nevertheless, I can imagine international trade-retail-across the Internet, using Bitcoin or something similar.

However, at this point I regard cryptocurrencies as experimental. I would expect governments to maintain their traditional currencies in the meantime. (And I think the British government was wise to decline the Euro).

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 11-17-2016 at 03:02 PM..

Old 11-23-2016, 05:02 PM

Default GOV.UK web site

Dated 26 July 2016.....

UK Government to open new offices in Minneapolis, Raleigh, and San Diego, to promote trade/business/economic and political ties.

Each office to be staffed by one person, recruited locally.

Similar offices exist in other U.S. cities. Last year, the Seattle office resulted in 8 million pounds in investment, and 1,000 jobs in the UK.

Old 12-08-2016, 11:49 PM

2 posts, read 2,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
Dated 26 July 2016.....

UK Government to open new offices in Minneapolis, Raleigh, and San Diego, to promote trade/business/economic and political ties.

Each office to be staffed by one person, recruited locally.

Similar offices exist in other U.S. cities. Last year, the Seattle office resulted in 8 million pounds in investment, and 1,000 jobs in the UK.
Hi Tim,

That is outstanding.

Although, such offices should've been in every U.S. and Canadian city, and every Australia and New Zealand city, long ago.

Still, better late than never.

Cheers, JBS

Old 12-08-2016, 11:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
Two who have written about geopolitics-George Friedman and Peter Zeehan-Have commented on Brexit

Both said that there will be a trade deal between UK and USA within a few years. Friedman thinks that there will be a bilateral trade deal, while Zeihan thinks that the UK will join NAFTA.

Zeehan has predicted that Britain will explore two different alternatives, the Commonwealth and NAFTA.
Hi Tim,

As Britain leaves the EU, it won't do for the country to stand idly by, hoping for massive inflows of investment (although that could happen as the British sterling continues to fall) the English countryside becomes an attractive investment for retired American folks, especially when compared to Ireland where property prices are higher and the countryside just as lovely.

Britain's government can't depend on that however, to boost the economy. Therefore, I think it's appropriate for Britain to join NAFTA (and hopefully, Australia and New Zealand would join at the same time) and over and above joining NAFTA, I hope the British government puts on a full effort to increase trade with all Commonwealth nations. India alone will have 2.2 billion citizens by 2025.

Finally, with the U.S. pivot to Asia, it leaves a smaller American presence in the Atlantic, and again, I think it's appropriate that a historic naval power such as Britain should assume that role.

A Free Trade Zone for the entire Atlantic and the Caribbean led by a post-Brexit Britain, working with the U.S., Canada, Brazil, Argentina, South Africa, and other Atlantic powers as they joined such an alliance, would create billions of pounds sterling of wealth for all participating nations.

Well, those are my main themes on this topic.

Cheers, JBS

Old 12-09-2016, 01:09 AM

Hello, JBS.

A related topic would be visas.

One type of visa that would be desired would be a special work visa.

Another type that would be desired would be a special visa for retired people.

I can imagine reciprocal arrangements being negotiated between governments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom