Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 05:35 AM

27,031 posts, read 13,278,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
See, this particular kind of corruption did not start with Putin - corruption started with Yeltsin and first "new Russians" arriving with their looted money to European shores ( London comes to mind,) BEFORE Putin came to power. Think Berezovsky, think Khodorkovsky, Abramovich Usmanov, Potanin,
just to name a few - these are well-known figures, but I'm sure there are many more less visible figures owning property in London; all these people gained their money BEFORE Putin became head of the state.
So corruption ( and lavish investments of looted money abroad) started not with Putin, but with Yeltsin. However Yeltsin is touted as the "biggest democrat ever" by the West, where Putin ( who didn't start it all, but rather left the pattern established earlier in place) is a "corrupt politician," and so is the country ruled by him.
So why the corruption was overlooked ( and actually encouraged) at the first place, where it's condemned in the latter case, inquiring minds want to know)))
I agree, however if anything the corruption has only become worse under Putin and he certainly hasn't done anything to stop. Indeed Putin has lined his own pockets with the Russian peoples money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 03:35 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,696,673 times
Absolutely correct. I remember when Putin became Russian president Roman Abramovich gave him a $35 million yacht as a gift. The yacht can carry 10 guests and a crew of 16 and it's maintained of course by the Russian state. Wouldn't want Vlad to put his hand in his pocket when it's easier to put your hand in someone else's

I think a good example of corruption in Russia would be the state sponsored doping of their athletes, especially when you consider that the FSB was involved as well.

As I said in a previous post, corruption is everywhere in Russia, and the Russian people have just sat back and let it happen. So when erasure says that the UK should do more to stop corruption in Russia, I say that we are at least trying to do the right thing, isn't it about time the Russian people got off their collective backsides and tried to do something about it as well.

Old 10-31-2016, 05:54 PM

26,730 posts, read 22,387,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I agree, however if anything the corruption has only become worse under Putin and he certainly hasn't done anything to stop. Indeed Putin has lined his own pockets with the Russian peoples money.
I know he did; in fact he was under the investigation for fleecing the city of St. Petersburg out of hundreds thousands dollars, but as soon as Yeltsin appointed him as a president, the investigation has been immediately closed, and woman who was in charge of investigation had to move out of town; she was fearing for her life till the day she died. And that's something that's known for sure; we don't know how else he exactly made his money or where he keeps them. The fact however remains, that as history has it, it was no one other but mentioned earlier Berezovsky, that introduced Putin to Yeltsin as a potential candidate for Yeltsin's replacement, someone who could guarantee the safety of looted money and safety of people who were involved in looting, Yeltsin's family including.
And that's the reason I assume that he didn't change the oligarchic system established by Yeltsin. When asked about possible reversal of the results of whole "privatization" schemes, he made it clear, that there will be no reversal.
At that, it would be incorrect to say that with Putin corruption "got worse."
The worst indeed took place under Yeltsin, with the full backing of Clinton's administration. Putin put a stop to a chaos and desperation that general population has been plunged in those days, took somewhat different approach to the whole situation, while still keeping his word and keeping oligarchy ( and results of "privatization") in place.
So Russians credit him for this restaured order, with many overlooking persistent corruption in the name of security on international scene.

Old 10-31-2016, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Absolutely correct. I remember when Putin became Russian president Roman Abramovich gave him a $35 million yacht as a gift. The yacht can carry 10 guests and a crew of 16 and it's maintained of course by the Russian state. Wouldn't want Vlad to put his hand in his pocket when it's easier to put your hand in someone else's

I think a good example of corruption in Russia would be the state sponsored doping of their athletes, especially when you consider that the FSB was involved as well.

As I said in a previous post, corruption is everywhere in Russia, and the Russian people have just sat back and let it happen. So when erasure says that the UK should do more to stop corruption in Russia, I say that we are at least trying to do the right thing, isn't it about time the Russian people got off their collective backsides and tried to do something about it as well.
There was nothing Russian people could already do. They didn't have functional political system put in place BEFORE they were deprived of their assets and money, no democratic institutions, no nothing. Their parliament has been bombed and destroyed by "democratic president" with the full backing ( yet again) by Clinton's administration.
The Russian people did initially what they considered the best to their knowledge - i.e. overwhelmingly voted for the president that promised to take them out of a stalemate of Soviet system to a better future. They didn't want their country to be a scarecrow any longer, they wanted close relations with Europe, and particularly close relations with America.
What they didn't expect, were the deals made behind their backs between the president they trusted and Americans who claimed now to be their "friends."
They didn't expect the transfer of their national treasures into few hands, loyal to American big business and banking system, they didn't expect money leaving the country in droves with the help of those, who happened to be close to "American and European friends," ending up on private accounts in foreign banks and invested in those lavish London mansions. At that, general Russian population has been left with nothing, zilch. During Soviet times they were at least getting their salaries paid; with "new democratic government" supported by Clinton's administration they were working for nothing; their salaries were not paid, and often - because their new "democratic employers" were disappearing abroad with all the loot, without caring to pay the workers. Never in the Soviet times were Russians forced to place their children in the orphanages, since they couldn't afford to feed them; but the "new democratic system" brought them this *novelty.*
Russians remember it all very well until now, and that's why as I've already explained earlier, there are reasons that they prefer to keep Putin who is hostile to the West, rather than any of their former leaders, friendly to the West.
So when I pointed to those lavish mansions in London, purchased by Russian oligarchs BEFORE or during Putin's times, I just wanted to remind that it takes two to tango. It takes two to create and support corruption and it takes two to create the kind of crisis, the confrontation we are heading to.

Old 01-27-2017, 09:45 PM

Default Horror, Horror, Pure Horror I'm telling you!!!!!...

... the group of miscreants, the anarchists, occupied the mansion in London rightfully owned by Russian Oligarch AND ( listen to that) this named above group is attempting to convert mentioned above $18+ mil. mansion in Belgravia into homeless shelter, while ( listen to that) waiting for extradition to... ( no, not Zimbabwe,) to the US out of all places.
The black flag with 'Antifaschistische Aktion' written in German is present there too, for not understood by me reasons, while our honorable Russian Oligarch is trying to reinstate his rightful ownership and some kind of sense and order, while fighting miscreants through realtors ( which is understandable, since they were the only ones that saw him in person ever, many years ago, and know for sure that he exists.)
Not only he exists, but according to the Daily Mail, he ( our ordinary, down to earth Russian billionaire ) "had hoped to build a mega-basement complete with swimming pool, sauna, steam room, gym, jacuzzi and massage room."
Is it too much to ask, I'm asking you? No, of course not, but the Anarchist Libertarians and their criminal actions interfered with the dreams of this simple and dignified man, so I need to bring these disturbing news to the attention of a broader audience on this forum.

Read more: 'Anti-fascist' squatters take over £15m London mansion | Daily Mail Online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom