Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2016, 07:27 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,282,562 times

Advertisements

Stop using the term "Spot on!" And it's a deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 08:21 AM

1,448 posts, read 1,187,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
Will one of our British friends here on CD call the Queen Mum
She's been dead for more than a decade.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:26 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpyDerp View Post
Yes, but the Queen is still unveiling statues of her mother. This one just the other day. It's like she never left us...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOeQTuJPONg

Old 10-29-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Yes, but the Queen is still unveiling statues of her mother. This one just the other day. It's like she never left us.
I made my first visit to the UK a few days after she passed away. Lots of mourners, as I recall.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:21 AM

2,920 posts, read 1,985,284 times
Quote:
I stand corrected, yes she was the current queen's mother and she died in 2002.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
I made my first visit to the UK a few days after she passed away. Lots of mourners, as I recall.
Yes, the public were fond of the old girl. She gained her great popularity during the Second World War. The Government wanted to get the Royal Family out of the country to the safety of Canada. Buckingham Palace was a target for German bombing. But, they stayed and faced the bombs with the rest of the British public.

I know many foreigners, especially Americans make fun of the Royal Family, but in certain situations, the public look to them as figureheads of stability. Let's face it....... they've been there forever........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4yF0eifsIA

She always turned out, whatever the weather, for war remembrance ceremonies.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGsvBHhhhqM

Lets face it, they're more interesting than Brad and Angelina aren't they?

Old 10-29-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I know many foreigners, especially Americans make fun of the Royal Family
Charles is a knob, but the rest of them seem ok to me. Prince Harry seems like he'd be fun to have a few pints with down at the pub.

Old 10-29-2016, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Charles is a knob, but the rest of them seem ok to me. Prince Harry seems like he'd be fun to have a few pints with down at the pub.
The Royals have done a good job with Charles. When Diana died he was very unpopular. Especially knowing he was back with Camilla, who many blamed for Diana's unhappiness.

But, with time, they turned it around. Nobody pays him much attention these days, with the younger ones like William and Harry getting most of the attention. This may change when the Queen dies, and Charles becomes King. Elderly new Kings are never popular..............

The Royals are very good at reinventing themselves, and surviving as relevant personalities. I admire them in some ways, especially the Queen. One of the richest women in the world, and most days she is off officially opening some building, or unveiling a statue. Got to be dedicated to be doing that when you're 90 years old.

I'm sure she'd rather have her feet up watching the telly, with a gin and tonic to hand............ Ah, they're harmless enough. If we didn't have them, we'd have some President as a figurehead, like the French do. At least they entertain us sometimes.......

Old 10-30-2016, 06:32 AM

Once America comes back into the fold, there will need to be many changes. An important part of English life is the village idiot. Do you think idiots can be found in America to fill this important role in the community?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF-CkMpQtlY

Old 10-30-2016, 11:09 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
While the two current candidates are surely an embarrassing mess out of proportion to previous elections, the outsized, over the top, hysterical reactions (I'm moving to Canada!) are the same old reactionary, puerile, weak-willed drivel we hear every four years.

We will have an election, the best worst candidate will win, the Earth will turn, we will all be dead before the end of the century. The End.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom