Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2016, 03:55 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasolin View Post

That is what matters in the discussion with the UK basically.
What matters in discussions with the EU, is that the ordinary people of this country are fed up. Fed up of a lack of housing, fed up of being taken for suckers. Fed up of being called racists because we don't like our country being invaded. Fed up of fighting to get even a minimum wage job. Fed up of the highest rents in Europe because of demand.

There are politicians here in Britain that still don't get it. They should look across the pond and see where ignoring ordinary people gets you. The elite are reeling, and fighting to keep their gravy train on track.

We are starting to lose patience with certain people not understanding the seriousness of the situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2016, 09:13 AM

1,529 posts, read 916,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
What matters in discussions with the EU, is that the ordinary people of this country are fed up. Fed up of a lack of housing, fed up of being taken for suckers. Fed up of being called racists because we don't like our country being invaded. Fed up of fighting to get even a minimum wage job. Fed up of the highest rents in Europe because of demand.

There are politicians here in Britain that still don't get it. They should look across the pond and see where ignoring ordinary people gets you. The elite are reeling, and fighting to keep their gravy train on track.

We are starting to lose patience with certain people not understanding the seriousness of the situation.
Hello Dave,

Here I am, back to discussing BREXIT and EU membership. So you and ordinary people are losing patience and are fed up with a number of issues. I wonder if the same applies to citizens of other EU countries or whether this is unique to the british.

Trying to put it all into perspective I am going to restate some referendum numbers:

UK Population......................65.0 million
Registered Voters.................46.5 "
Leave EU............................17.4 "
Remain..............................16.1 "
Not Voting..........................13.0 "

Also, since the vote there has been some buyers remorse. Now the numbers between leave and remain are about equal. So about 48 million UK citizens are expected to agree and go along with 17 million who are impatient and fed up?

What exactly is so special about the UK? There are other countries in the EU who carry the same burden and have similar problem as you. I just don't get it. So far the BREXIT vote has caused negative results for the UK, and going forward it is not going to get any better. It is your cocktail party, you want to get out, get out but stop dithering.

No hard feelings Dave, have a nice day.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:38 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
The result is what it is. If you are not registered when you are entitled to vote or if you chose not to vote then you can have no complaint. It was a democratic referendum with a very simple choice of questions. The majority chose to leave the EU. It is up to the government to put into practice the democratic choice.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:44 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post
Hello Dave,

Here I am, back to discussing BREXIT and EU membership. So you and ordinary people are losing patience and are fed up with a number of issues. I wonder if the same applies to citizens of other EU countries or whether this is unique to the british.

Trying to put it all into perspective I am going to restate some referendum numbers:

UK Population......................65.0 million
Registered Voters.................46.5 "
Leave EU............................17.4 "
Remain..............................16.1 "
Not Voting..........................13.0 "

Also, since the vote there has been some buyers remorse. Now the numbers between leave and remain are about equal. So about 48 million UK citizens are expected to agree and go along with 17 million who are impatient and fed up?

What exactly is so special about the UK? There are other countries in the EU who carry the same burden and have similar problem as you. I just don't get it. So far the BREXIT vote has caused negative results for the UK, and going forward it is not going to get any better. It is your cocktail party, you want to get out, get out but stop dithering.

No hard feelings Dave, have a nice day.
Hi red....... The ones who don't bother voting, don't count. The Scottish who voted to remain don't count. They want out of the UK, get on with it, and stop being time wasters. Don't give votes to ex-pats, Irish citizens, and other foreigners who should never have got a vote at all.

That brings the total down nicely doesn't it? No buyers remorse, we want to get on with it. Just walk is my advice. Shut the border, and walk. Foreigners are still flooding into my country. They know a good thing when they see it huh?

Other countries in the EU carry the same burden huh? How many immigrants are Poland and Bulgaria dealing with? We are overcrowded, and struggling to cope. I am not interested in foreigners looking for an easy ride, and our jails are overflowing with them.

I agree, time to stop the dithering, and walk out of that stinking inbred EU club. Sadly, we have forces within my country trying to thwart the will of the people.

Old 11-19-2016, 11:02 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,653,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
They still have free trade with the EU.

Such protective legislation is EU Legislation, the corrupt Common Agricultural Policy and the protectionism of German Services and manby other such protectionist measures are written in to EU Law. As for the EU Courts, there are two, the European Courts of Justice which deal with EU matters and the seperate European Court of Human Rights, which is a seperate organisation to the EU.

It's not at all clear to me what you're trying to say here. Not sure why you see a need to draw a distinction between ECJ, and ECHR. Anyone with a claim against any EU country can file their claim with the appropriate court, and it will be judged on the merits. Everyone knows, (or should know), that these courts have different areas of responsibility. What point are you trying make?

You've just repeated here the general allegations you made up thread without providing any specifics, and then implied that failure by others to adhere to the rules constitutes discrimination against the UK. That doesn't follow at all, precisely because court remedies are available to provide redress if appropriate.

If your contention were true, then other countries would have even greater claims against the UK because it currently adheres to fewer EU rules than any other country.

So if it's OK for you to repeat yourself, I'll take that liberty too, and repeat my original questions in response to your claim that other countries are not observing the four freedoms.

Which countries?

Which Freedoms?

PS: That Economist piece you cited up thread only makes the perfect the enemy of the good. It complains about the difficulty in the trading of services, in the EU, as if there was some other ideal situation already in existence. There isn't.

In the US for instance, regardless of where you live or got your law degree, you have to pass the bar exam for each state in which you wish to practice.

Similar rules exist for plumbers, electricians, realtors, beauticians etc. To say nothing of banking and insurance.

That's not to say there's no room for relaxation of some EU rules.......

Old 11-19-2016, 11:10 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,653,194 times
So it seems the Scots and Welsh will have a say.........

Scots and Welsh can have say in Brexit court case - BBC News

Nicola Sturgeon could halt Brexit through ruling in European court, claims barrister behind High Court case

Maybe the start of a climbdown by T.May.......

British PM's changing vocabulary signals shift from 'hard Brexit' | Reuters

Old 11-19-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Hi red....... The ones who don't bother voting, don't count. The Scottish who voted to remain don't count. They want out of the UK, get on with it, and stop being time wasters. Don't give votes to ex-pats, Irish citizens, and other foreigners who should never have got a vote at all.

That brings the total down nicely doesn't it? No buyers remorse, we want to get on with it. Just walk is my advice. Shut the border, and walk. Foreigners are still flooding into my country. They know a good thing when they see it huh?

Other countries in the EU carry the same burden huh? How many immigrants are Poland and Bulgaria dealing with? We are overcrowded, and struggling to cope. I am not interested in foreigners looking for an easy ride, and our jails are overflowing with them.

I agree, time to stop the dithering, and walk out of that stinking inbred EU club. Sadly, we have forces within my country trying to thwart the will of the people.
Dave, why pick on Poland and Bulgaria. How about Austria, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Sweden, Norway etc. etc. etc. Don't hear non-stop complaining. Just go and don't bother to come back to the stinking EU. I wish you well.

Old 11-19-2016, 01:09 PM

Theresa is starting to realize which side the british bread is buttered on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom