Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2016, 05:42 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I had great desire to try a Hershey bar of chocolate. When I first went to America in 1988, I came across some in a shop. I eagerly bought a few bars.

Gawd........ it was awful. It had a waxy taste, and reminded me of an awful cheap chocolate bar when I was a kid called Caramac.
Caramac was sickening, I remember them well and you can also buy them on that site I posted, but who would want to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2016, 02:46 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,058,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Caramac was sickening, I remember them well and you can also buy them on that site I posted, but who would want to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I had great desire to try a Hershey bar of chocolate. When I first went to America in 1988, I came across some in a shop. I eagerly bought a few bars.

Gawd........ it was awful. It had a waxy taste, and reminded me of an awful cheap chocolate bar when I was a kid called Caramac.
I don't mind Caramac! I'm sure they are still available to buy in some shops. The bars are very sweet though - so it's probably an acquired taste.

When I had my student job in the US (I go on about this all of the time, on here, even though it was only for three months out of my entire life ), I had free food with the job. Of course, I gravitated towards the chocolate stand, at my place of work. I thought I was in heaven, surrounded by all of that free chocolate... until I found out I was actually in hell!

There were loads of Hershey's chocolate there, and as Dave has said, I was eager to try some initially, too. I thought it would be like the American equivalent of a bar of Dairy Milk or Galaxy. What a disappointment! It was bloody awful! Yuck! Possibly the worst chocolate I have ever tasted. Maybe us Brits have been spoilt by the creaminess of the Dairy Milk, or something, but it didn't have any of that... well... creaminess.

The only thing I liked of Hershey's were those Reese's peanut butter chocolates - now they are nice! I think the peanut butter in them makes up for the lack of nice chocolate. My favourites are those Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

Old 11-21-2016, 03:08 PM

2,891 posts, read 2,137,886 times
i was in the UK (US resident) earlier this year and bought one or two dairy milk bars. OMG, i couldn't believe the difference, amazing stuff. ok, maybe i bought more than one or two

Old 11-22-2016, 05:37 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
i was in the UK (US resident) earlier this year and bought one or two dairy milk bars. OMG, i couldn't believe the difference, amazing stuff. ok, maybe i bought more than one or two
Funny thing is that the shape of the choclate to me tastes a bit different, has anyone noticed, Buttons taste different from a bar, and a Wispa tastes different from a Milk Flake but Im not complaining hahaha I finish them all. cant wait for a Cadburys selection box at Xmas.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:52 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Funny thing is that the shape of the choclate to me tastes a bit different, has anyone noticed, Buttons taste different from a bar, and a Wispa tastes different from a Milk Flake but Im not complaining hahaha I finish them all. cant wait for a Cadburys selection box at Xmas.
LOL! I could have written this I am convinced shape affects flavor. In the US I'm noticing they are shrinking goodies too. It irks me. I'd rather pay more for the size and quality I'm used to. How come the mfg co's don't get this?

To the posters who like Reese's cup, I think they might like because the chocolate IMHO is more like English milk chocolate.

The other day a had a couple of Lindt Lindor truffles, yuck! They used to melt in your hand and mouth Not these, they were a bit crunchy outside and didn't have the full creamy choc flavor. I hope I had some from a bad batch...shame if they've messed them up to!

Old 12-10-2016, 01:26 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,978,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
Hershey's Symphony is a bit like our chocolate.

Old 12-10-2016, 06:47 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
Hershey's Symphony is a bit like our chocolate.
I've never had a Hershey's chocolate which we get here but a butterfinger is the one I want but not seen it here

Old 12-11-2016, 07:41 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,978,035 times
I only favour Reese's chocolate which is widely available here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom