Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 10:27 PM

2,926 posts, read 8,555,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsl View Post
It is very impractical to drive an SUV in the UK as the back would fill with water every time it rained.

Also, only plumbers drive pickup trucks over here.

BTW, is there such a thing as a Toyota Hilux in the USA? It is the most indestructible pickup ever (Top Gear tried to destroy it and failed)
No, that truck doesn't exist here. Toyota trucks are not popular in the states. It's either Ford, Dodge or Chevy trucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 11:57 PM

2,421 posts, read 6,948,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
No, that truck doesn't exist here. Toyota trucks are not popular in the states. It's either Ford, Dodge or Chevy trucks.
Toyota Tacoma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-09-2008, 08:36 PM

29 posts, read 131,938 times
there was a "tailgate" party outside my house today... ( canada )

Old 08-10-2008, 12:10 AM

339 posts, read 1,261,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
Oh Sorry, I thought you really didn't know?

Top Gear is an excellent show and I remember the Hilux Episode well, The wreck, Ended up being part of the shows set for a while, Mounted up the back.
It's still there!

Old 08-10-2008, 04:25 PM

681 posts, read 2,908,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLondon View Post
Well, maybe in Kentucky, but in the rest of the US Toyota pickups have been outselling Dodge for years and their sale numbers are currently beating on the door of the other two. But that's not important.

"Hilux" was a name used in the US by Toyota for their pickups between 1970 and 1976, and they were pretty junky. That's one reason they dropped the use of that name here, I suppose. Interesting to see the name was continued world-wide.

The two reason pickups haven't been too popular in the UK is the rain, imo, and because the state of Texas needed so many they created an artificial shortage.

Btw, US/Canadian makes are imported with wrong-side drive [RHD] for those who can't adapt to the normal, standard, world-wide traffic pattern. </smugness> Actually the Metropolitan Police in London have a few Ford F-250's with special use bodies I've seen. Probably acquired through our Canadian cousins, I would suppose.

Really appreciated that "White van man" link. Explained a lot of what I saw during holidays in London.

Cheers

Old 08-10-2008, 06:36 PM

238 posts, read 623,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
Well, maybe in Kentucky, but in the rest of the US Toyota pickups have been outselling Dodge for years and their sale numbers are currently beating on the door of the other two.

Yeah, I'm quite sure there are plenty of Tacomas in Kentucky, as I bought mine from my brother in Kentucky, when he bought a new one. He works for Toyota, and is based at their largest North American plant in Kentucky. I think I'm pretty safe in saying, he isn't the only one in Kentucky with a Tacoma.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:24 PM

1 posts, read 2,809 times
theres alot of pick ups in Ireland but then again most of Ireland consists of Country side and rural areas

Old 06-18-2009, 08:12 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,218,049 times
Some how, this Eagles tune....

Well, i'm standing on a corner at the Marble Arch Station
And, such a fine sight to see
It's a girl my lord
In a flat bed Ford
Slowin' down to take a look at me.

....doesn't seem to work so well.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:35 AM

16,621 posts, read 17,378,565 times
Oh- my favourite lines from a song- meaning in the original version!

How about 24 hours from Tulse Hill?

I did drive a F150 in Texas, but they are as much a fashion statement as anything else in the city.

Pretty pointless most of the time. It was easier to load very big items such as our BBQ into our 'mini' van with sliding side doors than it was to lug anything heavy up onto the bed of the truck.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:14 AM

681 posts, read 2,908,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theirishmaniac View Post
theres alot of pick ups in Ireland but then again most of Ireland consists of Country side and rural areas
They are also popular in rural Canada. See this one whose driver unwittingly took out a traffic signal and then unconcernedly

parked it outside a country pub in British Columbia. Talk about a "happy hour".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom