Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2016, 12:07 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,426,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post

I have a pretty extensive closet back home with quite a few heavy winter coats. I'm not sure I agree with you on that.

We do (in my part of British Isles) get a fair amount of snow and ice in the winter months.
^^This
Never underestimate the need for warm clothing in the UK, the cold may not be -20 cold but being a maritime nation the cold is damp and will chill you through to the bones.

I've been to Cornwall when it was hotter than the south of France and I've lived in Scotland where it literally rained for weeks on end (July 2012 in Alaska was the same 30+ days of never-ending rain).
I was born in Oxford which is situated in a bowl of hills so when the weather comes in boy does it come in and it gets bone chilling cold, growing up our winter coats were all puffy anoraks and we lived in warm boots all winter.
Now living in N. Michigan we have warm (OK hot) summers and usually very cold winters so my wardrobe here is much more extensive than it was even in Alaska. Everything from shorts for the summer to lots of layering clothes and uber warm hats and coats for our winters.

Old 12-04-2016, 12:19 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,977,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
Check out the differences between average high and low for London and Wash DC, or Fairfax.

London: Average January low 36F Average July high 74F. Spread 38F.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London

Washington: Average January low 28F. Average July high 88F. Spread 60F. DC has a much more extreme climate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington,_D.C.
Your point? It's still cold and icy in the UK in winter.

Old 12-04-2016, 01:05 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,651,909 times
Quote:
Your point? It's still cold and icy in the UK in winter.
Greater need for separate winter/summer wardrobes in DC than in London. That was the point my friends who were mocking my larger wardrobe didn't understand. Maybe you don't either.

Old 12-04-2016, 01:50 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,650,295 times
The state does have extreme temperatures from time to time with 90 °F (32.2 °C) in the summer and temperatures below 0 °F (-17.8 °C) in the winter not being unusual.[2]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Massachusetts

(I thought I'd try putting it in celsius. )

In summer it's in the high 80s/low 90s (32.2 C) and MUGGY most of the time. We say, "It's not the heat so much as the humidity." In winter it's below freezing most of the time. Another difference is that it REALLY gets cold here at night in winter. It also stays oppressively HOT and muggy at night in summer.

We don't spend too much money on summer clothing. It's mainly sandals, shorts, tank tops or sun dresses for women. Men wear shorts and sandals. Lightweight trousers and short sleeved shirts when they go to work. The money goes to the electric bill for air conditioning.

Winter is when the cost of clothing sucks the life out of you. The boots and parkas, thick gloves, scarves, hats, woolen sweaters.

My husband from England was approved to immigrate in JANUARY eight years ago. Well, I braved a blizzard to pick him up at the airport and HE turned up in a medium weight jacket and shivered all the way home. Thank goodness it was time for the January clearance sales. We headed to the sales outlets and got him a proper winter jacket. Then a wool hat and waterproof down filled gloves. Boots too.

Yes, he does speak about your damp cold that goes right through you. But you can still wear your usual clothes and add a layer or two--I think. I haven't had a chance to be there in winter but I've enjoyed your gorgeous summers--and rainy springs just like our rainy springs. I love your autumn too.

Two years ago we had 100" inches of snow! That's 2.794 m. Now that was a record but most winters are fairly horrible. When you get that much snow it remains for months--frozen snow. You cannot dress in regular clothing and just put a wool jacket over it. You go outside wrapped up like a polar bear.

Old 12-04-2016, 03:35 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,813,291 times
I don't own a big winter coat. It's not that cold that you need much of a winter wardrobe in the UK. Usually, just adding layers is more than enough, plus maybe gloves and scarf.
Clearly in parts of the US, the large differences in seasons will require a much more expansive clothing range. I can wear the exact same clothes in winter as in summer here. Jeans, t shirt and hoodie in winter and summer isn't unusual. I doubt that would be the case in Chicago for instance.

Old 12-05-2016, 02:17 PM

102,182 posts, read 107,774,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
I don't own a big winter coat. It's not that cold that you need much of a winter wardrobe in the UK. Usually, just adding layers is more than enough, plus maybe gloves and scarf.
Clearly in parts of the US, the large differences in seasons will require a much more expansive clothing range. I can wear the exact same clothes in winter as in summer here. Jeans, t shirt and hoodie in winter and summer isn't unusual. I doubt that would be the case in Chicago for instance.
I hadn't realized that Britain's weather was so mild. You make it sound like California. Even northern California's winters used to require more than just a hoodie. That penetrating fog in the San Francisco Bay Area certainly requires a heavy wool jacket. And winter temps used to get down to around 45 degrees F during the day. Some winters saw a cold snap with temps hovering around freezing.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I hadn't realized that Britain's weather was so mild. You make it sound like California. Even northern California's winters used to require more than just a hoodie. That penetrating fog in the San Francisco Bay Area certainly requires a heavy wool jacket. And winter temps used to get down to around 45 degrees F during the day. Some winters saw a cold snap with temps hovering around freezing.
Southern England is very mild. It rarely snows here, it is icy on occasion but that's about all when it comes to wintry weather.

Old 12-05-2016, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PagePlant View Post
English women wear 20 times more make up and skirts that barely cover anything, even when its 0 ° celcius..

American women alaways use jerseys and go out with sandals, they dont care about fashion at all.
That has been my experience in England aswell. But the English members seem to disagree.

(Even tonight coming back from a lecture when it was -1c/foggy there were plenty of women wearing short, skimpy skirts. )

Last edited by GymFanatic; 12-05-2016 at 03:37 PM..

Old 12-05-2016, 04:18 PM

102,182 posts, read 107,774,599 times
hmm...short skirts that barely cover anything? That must be where Russia got that fad for young women, that's been going strong since Gorby crashed and burned. Maybe it came in as he was on the way out, IDK, but before him, the dress code was conservative. That clothing style comes across unfavorably to American men, or to some of them. Though they may admire the view, they ask why so many Russian women dress like they're selling themselves. I'd always been at a loss to explain it. I guess it's true what people say about the US being more conservative than The Continent in some regards.

Old 12-05-2016, 08:42 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,651,909 times
Quote:
Southern England is very mild. It rarely snows here, it is icy on occasion but that's about all when it comes to wintry weather.
Think you might need to get your story straight. First you say at # 22 above, that winters in the UK are cold and icy.....

What are the differences in the ways British women dress as opposed to American women?

Talk about trying to have it both ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.