Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 05:38 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,025,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
The old town in Benidorm is great Star........ real Spanish atmosphere. Two of the hotels I listed are near the old town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdsWglDXTbc
It looks much more civilised than the other part. It's funny how Benidorm looks strangely familiar, even though I have never been there. Probably due to watching Benidorm the comedy, over the years.

The 'other part' of Benidorm, where all the nightlife is, looks like every other touristy/nightlife part of Spain. There's even a Welsh bar there, apparently!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 07:16 PM

26,637 posts, read 28,452,188 times
Quote:
I have been to New York City as well a few times. I now feel I have seen everything to see in America.....

Just the once to Tenerife........ didn't like it. Gawd, it was humid!!

Us northern English don't like humid.........
dh is from Lancs and HE says it depends upon where you go on Tenerife. Puerto de la Cruz. And if you get to a higher elevation, it's cold! He knows everything (I have to say that, lol.)

You have not seen New England in autumn and you have never been to Cape Cod. You have not seen Plymouth, Massachusetts (where the Mayflower left from YOUR Plymouth in 1620 with the Pilgrims) so you've missed a little bit. But if you're not into history, that's understandable--you have more than plenty over there. I don't blame you on the humidity--another reason to not visit the American South except in winter.
(The first reason was...GUNS!)

Old 01-03-2017, 07:47 PM

2,621 posts, read 4,019,023 times
I am in envy of the amount of Holiday time allotted over there. Most people get x vacation time but it's a take it or leave it approach. (People can opt to take the week between Christmas and New Years but it's not simply granted (Christmas day and New Years are the only days granted automatically. Perhaps I would be basking in the Canary Islands or another destination if I had the week off... . Must be nice. (And I will speak Spanish if I did).

I can't complain too much; the last few weeks have been short.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:41 AM

26,273 posts, read 8,382,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
dh is from Lancs and HE says it depends upon where you go on Tenerife. Puerto de la Cruz. And if you get to a higher elevation, it's cold! He knows everything (I have to say that, lol.)

You have not seen New England in autumn and you have never been to Cape Cod. You have not seen Plymouth, Massachusetts (where the Mayflower left from YOUR Plymouth in 1620 with the Pilgrims) so you've missed a little bit. But if you're not into history, that's understandable--you have more than plenty over there. I don't blame you on the humidity--another reason to not visit the American South except in winter.
(The first reason was...GUNS!)
I'm a Lancashire boy maself.......... Your husband and I will have a lot in common. We went to the southern end of Tenerife, to the resort of Playa de las Americas......... not our thing, and the humidity was bad. It was similar to New York City in the summer of 1988. Gawd, I melted. My wife and I kept our visits to NYC in November......... perfect.

I was only kidding about having seen all of America that I need to. I would love to visit New England. It was on my mind ever since I bought a Bette Midler LP 40 years ago, and she sang a song called 'Old Cape Cod.' In fact, I told her it was my favourite song of her's back in 1978 when I met her in London.

We did ride the subway train down to Cony Island, and took a walk round Brighton Beach. Some interesting houses there. Lots of Russians as well..........

Unlike most English people, I'm not frightened of guns. I spent some years in the army back in the 70s. Most people here have never seen a real gun, so they find them a little unnerving I guess. I would do ok in the American south....... my y'all is perfect..........

Old 01-04-2017, 10:26 AM

I know you were only joking when you said you'd seen all of America. I was only joking when I insinuated that you needed to see Massachusetts. Well, Massachusetts IS a nice state and Cape Cod in summer is like a dream come true. Autumn in any of the New England states is gorgeous but that's why the airlines raise their fares in October!

dh loves it here. To him, America was CARS. He used to go to CA (a place he hates), buy a few Mustangs, import them to England, fix them up, and sell for a profit. But he loves it in this part of the country. As long as he can get good fish and chips, a decent curry, and Marmite, he seems to be all set. He likes his beers and ales and he can get most of them around here.

You certainly sound like you'd fit in well in the South with that perfect y'all. Take your handy dandy gun so you can shoot the snakes they have down there! (Can you tell I don't favor the place, lol.)

dh has taken me to the most beautiful place in Lancashire (to me, anyway) when he wanted to take me to Blackpool by way of the Trough of Bowland. Makes Americans jump out of the car with a camera and not want to get back in. Who cares about Blackpool illuminations when there are places with scenery like that! Have you been to that area? It's an area of outstanding natural beauty.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post

dh loves it here. To him, America was CARS. He used to go to CA (a place he hates), buy a few Mustangs, import them to England, fix them up, and sell for a profit. But he loves it in this part of the country. As long as he can get good fish and chips, a decent curry, and Marmite, he seems to be all set. He likes his beers and ales and he can get most of them around here.

You certainly sound like you'd fit in well in the South with that perfect y'all. Take your handy dandy gun so you can shoot the snakes they have down there! (Can you tell I don't favor the place, lol.)

dh has taken me to the most beautiful place in Lancashire (to me, anyway) when he wanted to take me to Blackpool by way of the Trough of Bowland. Makes Americans jump out of the car with a camera and not want to get back in. Who cares about Blackpool illuminations when there are places with scenery like that! Have you been to that area? It's an area of outstanding natural beauty.
He sounds like my kind of guy. Can't beat a good curry, fish and chips, and Marmite.......... Gotta spread Marmite thin though.........

I have never seen the Trough of Bowland........ but I've been to Blackpool countless times. Although, I prefer Lytham St.Annes next door to Blackpool - more gentile.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2bzZnSEe4g

Old 01-04-2017, 02:20 PM

Quote:
He sounds like my kind of guy. Can't beat a good curry, fish and chips, and Marmite.......... Gotta spread Marmite thin though.........

I have never seen the Trough of Bowland........ but I've been to Blackpool countless times. Although, I prefer Lytham St.Annes next door to Blackpool - more gentile.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2bzZnSEe4g
The two of you would probably get along well. He's mentioned Lytham St. Annes, something to do with golf. That video is gorgeous! That's a place that seems to have everything and...palm trees too? You British and your wonderful piers! I've only walked out on one once, in Norfolk but it was a fun adventure.

Now that I've watched that video I need to ask him the name of that wonderful town/city we went shopping in. I said it was must be a great place for retirees. He said, Yes, RICH retirees! ETA: Lord St in Southport.

Old 01-04-2017, 06:00 PM

17,473 posts, read 17,314,892 times
Quote:
I'm a Lancashire boy maself.......... Your husband and I will have a lot in common. We went to the southern end of Tenerife, to the resort of Playa de las Americas......... not our thing, and the humidity was bad. It was similar to New York City in the summer of 1988. Gawd, I melted. My wife and I kept our visits to NYC in November......... perfect.

I was only kidding about having seen all of America that I need to. I would love to visit New England. It was on my mind ever since I bought a Bette Midler LP 40 years ago, and she sang a song called 'Old Cape Cod.' In fact, I told her it was my favourite song of her's back in 1978 when I met her in London.

We did ride the subway train down to Cony Island, and took a walk round Brighton Beach. Some interesting houses there. Lots of Russians as well..........

Unlike most English people, I'm not frightened of guns. I spent some years in the army back in the 70s. Most people here have never seen a real gun, so they find them a little unnerving I guess. I would do ok in the American south....... my y'all is perfect..........
Want humidity? Come visit south Louisiana in the summer. If you wear glasses, they will fog up when you step outside the home. People have the wrong idea about the swamps in Louisiana. There are things of beauty if you look around carefully. One of the reasons people settled in or near the swamp is food. You could hunt and fish in the swamps. A beautiful sight is being out on the water well before sunrise and watch the sun rise over a layer of fog in the swamp. There are beautiful birds and flowers at the right time of the year.

Old 01-04-2017, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Want humidity? Come visit south Louisiana in the summer. If you wear glasses, they will fog up when you step outside the home. People have the wrong idea about the swamps in Louisiana. There are things of beauty if you look around carefully. One of the reasons people settled in or near the swamp is food. You could hunt and fish in the swamps. A beautiful sight is being out on the water well before sunrise and watch the sun rise over a layer of fog in the swamp. There are beautiful birds and flowers at the right time of the year.
I think I saw a movie about life in Louisiana many years ago. It was called 'The Yearling.' I could be wrong, but there were plenty of swamps in it!! I couldn't stand high humidity regularly. As I said earlier, I visited NYC in July 1988......... never experienced anything like it. Within seconds of leaving the hotel, I was soaked in sweat. That same trip, I went out to Ohio......... much better there weather wise.

Now the beautiful sunrise I would like to see for sure.

Old 01-05-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
I think I saw a movie about life in Louisiana many years ago. It was called 'The Yearling.' I could be wrong, but there were plenty of swamps in it!! I couldn't stand high humidity regularly. As I said earlier, I visited NYC in July 1988......... never experienced anything like it. Within seconds of leaving the hotel, I was soaked in sweat. That same trip, I went out to Ohio......... much better there weather wise.

Now the beautiful sunrise I would like to see for sure.
Oh, that reminds me, I was in Louisiana once. It was the tail end of the road trip that included Las Vegas. We ran out of money and all the banks were closed. (This was before ATMs.) They used travelers checks or cash in those days, not credit cards. It was soakingly humid and we had to get a cheap motel that was full of cockroaches. I didn't know what those crawly things were but found that if you turned the lights on, they tended to scatter.

Got outa there next morning and high tailed it eastward to Florida. I'm sure Louisiana is nice at certain times of the year but definitely not in summer--and their summers are long. I was unfortunate enough to be there in late August. Florida was a nightmare too in August. We were stupid enough to visit the Everglades in August!

(And then there were the boys from the UK whom I met on Cape Cod IN DECEMBER a few years ago. They were wondering where the beaches and the girls were! IN DECEMBER!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom