Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 09:08 AM

3 posts, read 15,740 times

Advertisements

I'm American, DH is from Glasgow and we currently live in Maine, which is probably the safest state in the US.

Lately we've been considering moving back to Glasgow because his family is bigger and we feel closer to them than my family here, which would be good for the kids. With the extremely limited vacation time we get in the States (especially now that the kids are in public school) we figure it would be better to base ourselves there, and visit the US, rather than the other way around.

The only thing holding us back is the fact DH has a very low opinion of Glasgow. He is extremely critical of it. He misses his family, but he fears it would be a huge step backwards for us in quality of life.

He hears stories all the time from the area he grew up in of mindless violence and petty crime and it seems to be getting worse. Apparently people now install cameras on their houses due to the high levels of property damage and thievery. It's a low-trust society. In Maine, on the other hand, we can leave our doors unlocked and our garage open indefinitely.

There's still an issue with sectarianism. Kids are still divided Catholic vs Protestant in public schools. (Our kids are being raised neither, and it just seems so pointless to divide them in the first place.)

He also worries our kids will run into far more bad influences there and grow up to be less nice people than they would here. (I can see his point here, because Maine kids are genuinely more polite and well-behaved than I've witnessed anywhere else.)

I lived in Glasgow with him a decade ago, and while I agree it's more urban there, I wonder if his worries are exaggerated after being away so long. I still think the good parts of Glasgow outweigh the bad. Family is very important to me. We would have beautiful countryside a quick drive away.

I tell him we'll just look into a neighborhood/village where crime is low with a good primary school. Apparently houses are relatively affordable there compared to this part of the US. But he seems to believe it doesn't matter how nice the area in Scotland, petty crime still seeps in. And we would be trading in for tighter living quarters, tiny yard and a lot more rain. (I already know this so it wouldn't be a surprise.)

Oh, and he won't consider any part of Scotland other than the Glasgow area if we were going to move back, because the whole point is to live near family.

It's not that he hates Glasgow, in fact he is open to this move. He just worries we'd hate ourselves if we went ahead with this. I can't believe Glasgow is nearly as dangerous, or bad for our kids as he makes out. Do I just have my rose-colored glasses on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2016, 09:57 AM

3,147 posts, read 1,978,035 times
Yeah it's a bit dumpy to be honest; no disrespect to anyone who lives there, I just didn't enjoy it myself. Go to Edinburgh.

Old 12-27-2016, 11:18 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
I'm from Glasgow, grew up there and we only finally severed our connection a year ago when we sold the family home.

Like any city, much depends on where you live. I grew up in the West End (before it was trendy) and never experienced "mindless violence and petty crime". That does not mean there is no crime. You need to take reasonable precautions. As to cameras, I have them on my home here in the USA.

Personally, I think that the sectarianism thing is grossly overstated. I never ran into it in daily life. I grew up a non-religious protestant and married a non-religious catholic. The incidence of 'mixed' marriages is high. I would suggest that public sensitivity over sectarianism has increased as the real problem has decreased. That said, the state schooling system does have parallel non-denominational and catholic streams. I went to a private school so it never really affected me.

Every time I go back to Glasgow, I am struck by how friendly the people are and the humour. And I agree with your husband. Glasgow is the only place in Scotland that I would consider living.

Old 12-27-2016, 12:58 PM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I'm from Glasgow, grew up there and we only finally severed our connection a year ago when we sold the family home.

Like any city, much depends on where you live. I grew up in the West End (before it was trendy) and never experienced "mindless violence and petty crime". That does not mean there is no crime. You need to take reasonable precautions. As to cameras, I have them on my home here in the USA.

Personally, I think that the sectarianism thing is grossly overstated. I never ran into it in daily life. I grew up a non-religious protestant and married a non-religious catholic. The incidence of 'mixed' marriages is high. I would suggest that public sensitivity over sectarianism has increased as the real problem has decreased. That said, the state schooling system does have parallel non-denominational and catholic streams. I went to a private school so it never really affected me.

Every time I go back to Glasgow, I am struck by how friendly the people are and the humour. And I agree with your husband. Glasgow is the only place in Scotland that I would consider living.
and why IM English born but have lived here in Glasgow for nearly seventy years and wont leave unless they throw me out... my hubby too has two mates he meets down the park with their dogs, both English, one from London One from Manchester, who came here to work long ago,, loved it and stayed , one ten years ago and one twelve years ago.. speaks for itself..

Old 12-27-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GymFanatic View Post
Yeah it's a bit dumpy to be honest; no disrespect to anyone who lives there, I just didn't enjoy it myself. Go to Edinburgh.
like most cities Gym I agree,,, but its picked up a lot in recent years as we were way behind some other cities with housing, but its not all bad.. by the way I dont live in one of these haha.. Take a look inside Glasgow's most expensive homes on the market - Property 1 - Daily Record

Old 12-27-2016, 03:18 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
and why IM English born but have lived here in Glasgow for nearly seventy years and wont leave unless they throw me out... my hubby too has two mates he meets down the park with their dogs, both English, one from London One from Manchester, who came here to work long ago,, loved it and stayed , one ten years ago and one twelve years ago.. speaks for itself..
Didnt know you are English born

OP I've only been there on a naughty weekend with the boys ( few london Scaffolder's meeting up with some Glasgow Scaffolder's ) .... IT WAS A BLAST!!!!

Heard a few stories but sounds great up there.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londoncowboy30 View Post
Didnt know you are English born

OP I've only been there on a naughty weekend with the boys ( few london Scaffolder's meeting up with some Glasgow Scaffolder's ) .... IT WAS A BLAST!!!!

Heard a few stories but sounds great up there.
Yes for my shame hahaha....born in Coventry....Glasgow folk are mental, good pattter though and funny..when you ask for directions in a Glasgow st, nine times of ten , you will be directed by walking time...its never half a mile or a mile, or actually taken to your destination... we were approached in the street by an American couple in Glasgow who were lost trying to find the airport so we told them to follow us and we took them straight to the airport...we werent going that way but its nice to be nice...Glasgow people on the whole are generous to a fault... workmen in the house get offered tea and a piece, usually with a square sausage hahaah..as soon as they enter to do a job, and it goes on..... were anything but mean as others see us ... When we go abroad on holiday we always meet English friends who have stayed our pals now for years..we all get on well believe it or not. and I have lovely American pals too who came over here a year and a half ago to visit and we got on great... She s on this forum where we met, so thaks CD for that .. As you notice I say We as myself Scottish and always will..

Old 12-28-2016, 03:37 AM

27,141 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Glasgow has seen a lot of change and inverstment, and is a thriving modern city, whilst crime has plummeted and the city has never been a safer or more pleasant place to visit or to live in. The City is also surrounded by some of the most beautiful countryside to be found anywhere and the city is home an ancient and prestigoud University dating back to 1451 and has many fine educational institutions, whilst the city still produces ships for the Royal Navy and indeed the world and is an innovative centre for manufacturing and indeed science.

Glasgow loses violent crime capital tag (From Evening Times)

Homicide rate in Glasgow halved in ten years (From Evening Times)

How Glasgow is closing the crime gap on Edinburgh (From HeraldScotland)

Last edited by Brave New World; 12-28-2016 at 03:46 AM..

Old 12-28-2016, 05:22 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
My wife's first husband's and his family live in Dumferline near Glasgow, it seems to me an OK place as seen on the pictures (?)

Old 12-28-2016, 12:24 PM

15,675 posts, read 11,518,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Yes for my shame hahaha....born in Coventry....Glasgow folk are mental, good pattter though and funny..when you ask for directions in a Glasgow st, nine times of ten , you will be directed by walking time...its never half a mile or a mile, or actually taken to your destination... we were approached in the street by an American couple in Glasgow who were lost trying to find the airport so we told them to follow us and we took them straight to the airport...we werent going that way but its nice to be nice...Glasgow people on the whole are generous to a fault... workmen in the house get offered tea and a piece, usually with a square sausage hahaah..as soon as they enter to do a job, and it goes on..... were anything but mean as others see us ... When we go abroad on holiday we always meet English friends who have stayed our pals now for years..we all get on well believe it or not. and I have lovely American pals too who came over here a year and a half ago to visit and we got on great... She s on this forum where we met, so thaks CD for that .. As you notice I say We as myself Scottish and always will..
I stayed at the ibis hotel in George square .... centre of attention

You can get whatever you want there, if you're looking to enjoy yourself and friendly the people are ace!!.... if you're a scumbag and looking for trouble then naturally they won't be left disappointed

You reminded me with the direction part lol........ A story I was told about a bloke I worked with years ago anyway he was up there ( Londoner like me ) on a stag weekend and got drunk as you do and come midnight he got separated from his mates.......

So he stopped someone in the streets for directions..... As they were talking he forgot the name of the hotel/street it's on etc and being laggin' he had fun trying to describe it LMAO..... Now the bloke he stopped was going home after a night out and took my mate on a " sight seeing tour " as he called it basically walking around knocking on doors, stopping at every off licence and eventually stayed at his house and left there at midday even more pissed from drinking all night! 😂😂😂😂

I've worked with plenty of Glaswegian Scaffolders and all nutters but 10000% the best bunch of lunatics walking the planet

Plus a group of " wee lassies " grabbed me and my mate because of our accents " ohhhh you sound just like eastenders! "... great weekend mine was
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom