Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2017, 02:15 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,813,291 times

Advertisements

Have you looked at York? Seems to tick most of your boxes. If you can find work, then it's certainly a great city to live in imo. Population around 215,000, low unemployment, very good schools, reasonable cost of living, very good transport links, reasonable weather(by UK standards).

I moved back here in 2014, as I wanted to be in the best place to raise my family. It's a fantastic place for families, and having considered Portsmouth, Brighton, London and Bristol, it was an easy decision in the end. Those cities all have their own qualities, but we felt that York provided the qualities of each city, but with less drawbacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2017, 02:49 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,920,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean York View Post
Have you looked at York? Seems to tick most of your boxes. If you can find work, then it's certainly a great city to live in imo. Population around 215,000, low unemployment, very good schools, reasonable cost of living, very good transport links, reasonable weather(by UK standards).

I moved back here in 2014, as I wanted to be in the best place to raise my family. It's a fantastic place for families, and having considered Portsmouth, Brighton, London and Bristol, it was an easy decision in the end. Those cities all have their own qualities, but we felt that York provided the qualities of each city, but with less drawbacks.
York has been discussed in this thread, and seems to be an option.

Old 01-26-2017, 07:29 PM

13,479 posts, read 9,019,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradpaisley94 View Post
Oh okey, so the salaries follow the cost of living so there is no real gain (economically) in living SE then. Would you say it's easier for a foreigner to find a job in a larger (above 300 000) or smaller (under 300 000) UK city?
Well houses are more expensive in the SE but there are obviously cheaper areas to live, London being the most expensive of course. Other things, such as shopping etc.. will be the same price generally if you use the well known supermarkets, things like drinks in pubs may be a little more in the SE...

The bonus of living in the SE is the warmer summer weather & if you picked a place on the south coast you would have the bonus of more sunshine & milder winters too. The bigger the place you live the greater chance you have of finding a decent job, but of course the UK is small so many towns & cities are easy to cummute to from nearby places. If you lived in Portsmouth for example you could easily commute to Fareham, Southampton, Winchester, Petersfield, Chichester & even slightly further away depending how far you are willing to travel...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom