Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2017, 06:57 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 21 hours ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post
Their lease on the current location expires and they wii have to move to new quarters. Nothing special or earth shaking about that. Grasping for straws, are you?

US Bank Wells Fargo also announced new offices.

Apple are opening a giant US HQ at Battersea, Google are doubling their workforce at Kings Cross and investing billions, and Facebook will hire extra UK workers for new central London HQ.

The London building boom also continues, the latest skyscraper being 1 Leadenhall, whilst the largest Medical Research Facility in Europe 'The Francis Crick Institute' recently opened in London.

So it's all doom and gloom.

It's also highly likely some kind of deal will be done, as the EU's own recent report states that loss of access to the City of London would be severly damaging to the EU.

EU will lose out from bad Brexit deal on City, says leaked report - Guardian

EU negotiator wants 'special' deal over access to City post-Brexit - Guardian

Europe blinks over Brexit talks? Chief Brussels negotiator says - Telegraph

EU's Brexit chief wants 'special' deal to allow access to the City | The Independent

The EU's chief Brexit negotiator said he wants a special relationship with the City of London | City A.M.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:10 AM

1,529 posts, read 916,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
I just knew it! Give it another couple of years and the French will want us to come and 'save them' again! Telling me that our European 'friends' aren't going to miss us is a bit like telling me the earth spins on its axis, we already know! Our Euro 'friends' have been making it quite clear for many years now what they think of us, the thing is we really don't care. What I suggest now is that you make French the 'Euro' language and go make a French 'City Data' somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
We have always been the outsiders in the EU. Goes back decades. We just have a different mentality. The French despise us, and have always done so. The Germans want us in to help carry the load, but we have just had enough of it, and want out.

It was ok when just a small group of major countries, but some one had the bright idea of letting in the riff-raff. I don't include Poland in that group, We are friends and allies going back many years. But some of the other Eastern European countries just have their hands held out. We have received some of their good citizens, and also many bad. We don't need gypsies for sure. They are a blight on the landscape of their own countries, and they must love getting rid of them onto us. We're just tired of it.
Basically I agree with both of you. My wife calls me a cantankerous and irritable old man. She may be right. I will try and be less argumentative going forward. Have a nice day.

Old 02-13-2017, 07:51 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,115,518 times
Tough days, months and years ahead!

May and her cohorts won't be around forever; they won't have to face the consequences when there is a belated realisation that the UK really can't "go it alone"

Just like any Prime Minister, or Minister - they really don't care about the consequences because they'll have moved on to more lucrative areas in the private sector (Blair, Cameron, Major et al.)

Instead, it will be the British people to pick up the pieces (and the bill!), as it's always been (the Northern Rock banking fiasco in 2008 being one clear example)

And how long in terms of years, can one judge if Brexit has truly achieved its aims? 5 years, 10, 20? What if it never actually materialises and those who voted out, don't feel the benefits after all? Will the NHS still be struggling in 10 years time? Will we finally pay off our £1.5tn debt to the world? Will we be able to re-nationalise the utility & train companies? Will we be able to resolve our housing crisis so as to make it affordable for all?

The list goes on and on.... and I rather think most items on this "bucket list" will never see the light of day! More so if Labour ever managed to return to power and wanted the UK to rejoin the EU via another Referendum - a properly thought-out referendum at that!

Old 02-13-2017, 08:30 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,427,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zola View Post
Tough days, months and years ahead!

May and her cohorts won't be around forever; they won't have to face the consequences when there is a belated realisation that the UK really can't "go it alone"

Just like any Prime Minister, or Minister - they really don't care about the consequences because they'll have moved on to more lucrative areas in the private sector (Blair, Cameron, Major et al.)

Instead, it will be the British people to pick up the pieces (and the bill!), as it's always been (the Northern Rock banking fiasco in 2008 being one clear example)

And how long in terms of years, can one judge if Brexit has truly achieved its aims? 5 years, 10, 20? What if it never actually materialises and those who voted out, don't feel the benefits after all? Will the NHS still be struggling in 10 years time? Will we finally pay off our £1.5tn debt to the world? Will we be able to re-nationalise the utility & train companies? Will we be able to resolve our housing crisis so as to make it affordable for all?

The list goes on and on.... and I rather think most items on this "bucket list" will never see the light of day! More so if Labour ever managed to return to power and wanted the UK to rejoin the EU via another Referendum - a properly thought-out referendum at that!
We can't go it alone. Well, we have done in the past, but only in a war situation. We need to trade with the world. But, the EU rules on unfettered immigration to this country means we have to get out. What's the future if we remain living under these rules. 70 million....... 80 million? We just can't carry on in this way forever.

If we go on a house building binge as we need to, who will get the houses? Do you think if we do so, less immigrants will come? Of course not........ we will be swamped. We have to regain control of the levels of immigration to the UK. Yes, I know many come from outside the EU. This has to be tackled also.

What choice do we have if the EU refuse to listen to our legitimate concerns? They just keep parroting the same line. 'Free movement is a pillar of the EU....squawk'.

I have watched the political game for many decades Zola. I don't read about life under Margaret Thatcher, I lived it. I well know of their games, and feather nesting for life after politics. They made a major mistake giving us the EU vote. In their arrogance, they thought they had it in the bag. Just keep dishing out the scare tactics. The losers like George Osborne, are not gone, just away licking their wounds. Some are worse than others. The disgusting Blair has done well for himself after politics.

My dad used to say 'they're all the same.' I used to think he was wrong in my youthful naivety. He was right of course, as I have learned bitterly over many years. But, on this issue, nothing will make me back down. We have to leave the EU, because they gave us no choice. Whatever happens during the process is something we have to deal with. Same with whatever comes after. It has to be faced, and the best made of it.

What you say about trains, utilities and housing is true. Just an appalling mess. You get no argument from me.

Labour would never dare try for a vote on rejoining the EU. Can you imagine the conditions demanded by folks like Jean-Claude Juncker? Nope, once we're out, we're out. It's just the damage done meanwhile we will have to cope with.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:15 PM

[quote=English Dave;47177818]We can't go it alone. Well, we have done in the past, but only in a war situation. We need to trade with the world. But, the EU rules on unfettered immigration to this country means we have to get out. What's the future if we remain living under these rules. 70 million....... 80 million? We just can't carry on in this way forever.

If we go on a house building binge as we need to, who will get the houses? Do you think if we do so, less immigrants will come? Of course not........ we will be swamped. We have to regain control of the levels of immigration to the UK. Yes, I know many come from outside the EU. This has to be tackled also.

Dave, what makes the UK so attractive all immigrants? How about Germany, France, Netherlands etc. Do they not get a large number of immigrants?

Old 02-13-2017, 01:45 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,427,959 times
[quote=red baron;47181462]
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post

Dave, what makes the UK so attractive all immigrants? How about Germany, France, Netherlands etc. Do they not get a large number of immigrants?
I think we got a lot of immigrants from Poland because we opened up our borders quicker than other EU countries. I believe the Labour government of the time, mentioned they expected about 10,000 to come. It ended up heading towards a million. I don't think anyone is really sure how many.

I am quite sure Germany and the Netherlands get their fair sure also. As for France, well, it looks to me even illegal immigrants don't want to stay there..........

I dunno red why we attract so many. I imagine it's also a case of following on from earlier immigrants, who will be settled, and offer a roof over the heads of new immigrants. I don't blame the people for coming, I just know we can't cope with this influx. It is causing tensions in many parts of the country, and the government know it.

I would guess countries like Germany are more willing to throw money at the problem, especially with housing. We have a massive housing shortfall here in the UK. Rents are high, and getting higher. I don't envy the young trying to cope with this modern life. Everybody knows we need to build homes on a massive scale. The government seems reluctant to get involved to any serious degree.

Young people are resentful of the older generation who seem to have it all. Just today it was on the news how the older generation are better off than ever before, while the young languish, struggling to pay their way. It's a poisonous brew waiting to blow.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
US Bank Wells Fargo also announced new offices.

Apple are opening a giant US HQ at Battersea, Google are doubling their workforce at Kings Cross and investing billions, and Facebook will hire extra UK workers for new central London HQ.

The London building boom also continues, the latest skyscraper being 1 Leadenhall, whilst the largest Medical Research Facility in Europe 'The Francis Crick Institute' recently opened in London.

So it's all doom and gloom.

It's also highly likely some kind of deal will be done, as the EU's own recent report states that loss of access to the City of London would be severly damaging to the EU.

EU will lose out from bad Brexit deal on City, says leaked report - Guardian

EU negotiator wants 'special' deal over access to City post-Brexit - Guardian

Europe blinks over Brexit talks? Chief Brussels negotiator says - Telegraph

EU's Brexit chief wants 'special' deal to allow access to the City | The Independent

The EU's chief Brexit negotiator said he wants a special relationship with the City of London | City A.M.
Very interesting?

Old 02-14-2017, 01:04 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,115,518 times
Personally I have no interest in the goings-on in London - financial hub or not (and yes, I recognise its significance on the global scale)

The South East of England lives in its own bubble, whilst the rest of the country comes a very provisional second in the priority stakes - a classic example of "trickle-down" economics!

I would prefer to see major investment in the major cities across the UK and not just focusing on London, otherwise the economic benefits will hardly register for the other 50 odd million people in the UK.

Will Brexit resolve this, or will it just focus on where the money, power and influence resides?

Old 02-14-2017, 06:50 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post

If you look at the 2010 immigration numbers - which takes out the recent 'refugee' influx - Germany, France and the UK, in that order, have the largest immigrant populations. The percentage is around 11% for all three.

In the UK, the perception that there are a great many immigrants is heightened by two factors. The first is the concentration in the London area where 36.7% of the population is foreign born and the second is immigration statistics which suggest that net immigration to the UK is accelerating.

Why is the UK attractive? Because the economy is strong and because most of them already speak some English and don't have to learn another language.

Old 02-14-2017, 09:26 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,993,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I would think it would help the British pound to have Trump announce that trade treaties with the USA are going to happen. Some reassurance that business won't shut down just because there is no place to sell goods. Not that trade with the USA would have stopped, anyway. No one should have ever thought that was going to happen.
If not Trump, then Congress could make such an announcement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom