Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2017, 01:56 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,994,681 times

Advertisements

This issue came up on thread-will you speak the local language fluently enough to have local friends?

Or will you always be an outsider?

Old 02-27-2017, 02:03 PM

3,565 posts, read 2,116,169 times
Even a basic understanding of a indigenous language would show some effort to not so-much integrate with the locals, but to at least appreciate that one is spending x number of weeks or months in their "back yard"

Old 02-27-2017, 02:18 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zola View Post
Even a basic understanding of a indigenous language would show some effort to not so-much integrate with the locals, but to at least appreciate that one is spending x number of weeks or months in their "back yard"
The difficulty with integration was not so much language as about showing up in a new city/country with no friends and no family while all the locals already had their friends and family around them. I faced the same challenges in both Geneva and New York despite New York being English speaking. That tends to push you towards groups of people who are in the same position as you are and they are often other expats.

The other issue with integration is that, as a foreigner and non-citizen, there are parts of civil life that you simply cannot participate in. You don't get to vote and it is very hard for a foreigner to be politically active. You don't get to do jury duty (not a bad thing), you don't get to do military service (Switzerland, also not a bad thing).

And your accent always gives you away as being 'not from there'. Even though I am now a US citizen, my accent is still British and the assumption is made that I am foreign. Even being fluent in French, I could never shake my accent (fluent is not the same as mother tongue).

So, although you can be accepted and you can have friends, integration is never really 100%.

It is really your kids, if they stay in the country and make their lives there, who will truly integrate.

Old 02-27-2017, 02:34 PM

True enough!

I still have a slight South African accent despite living here in the UK for about 16 years; and friends and colleagues do sometimes query my "peculiar dialect". So yes, I will always be a foreigner despite having dual nationality. But I can't say I have ever felt unwelcome here, and would like to think I have integrated into British culture quite easily.

And my times spent abroad for x number of months, I cannot recall any hostility toward me being British.

Old 03-02-2017, 09:09 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
Not just us fed up of the EU...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkvpj3fkMYM

Old 03-02-2017, 11:04 AM

1,529 posts, read 916,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Not just us fed up of the EU...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fkvpj3fkMYM
Really? A Panzer or two should restore normal relations with France.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post
Count to 10, Dave!! Don't bite!!

lol

Old 03-02-2017, 11:37 AM

1,529 posts, read 916,287 times
Quote:

lol
He can count?

Old 03-02-2017, 11:49 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
Quote:
Quote:

lol
Quote:
He can count?
Heh heh........ Boy, Mrs Merkel's face was a picture during the dressing down from Le Pen. I don't say it often but 'Vive la France.' Made my day, it really did.........

Course I can count red......... and I don't need a calculator like most of the educated idiots today.......

Your Panzer days are over red. The only tanks in Germany are American and British ones. Haaaaaaaaaaa. Now stop making me laugh, I nearly swallowed my Cadbury's fruit and nut before fully chewed.

Old 03-02-2017, 12:00 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Heh heh........ Boy, Mrs Merkel's face was a picture during the dressing down from Le Pen. I don't say it often but 'Vive la France.' Made my day, it really did.........

Course I can count red......... and I don't need a calculator like most of the educated idiots today.......

Your Panzer days are over red. The only tanks in Germany are American and British ones. Haaaaaaaaaaa. Now stop making me laugh, I nearly swallowed my Cadbury's fruit and nut before fully chewed.
Gross, can't you get better chocolate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom