Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 04:43 PM

6,517 posts, read 5,815,362 times

Advertisements

Sainsburys is our favourite. I'd say it's the best all rounder in terms of quality and price. I'd also say that Waitrose is better than M&S. M&S is well overated and overpriced imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 02:50 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,652,974 times
To put Aldi and Lidl in context for the Brits. They moved into Ireland about three years after the UK. Today each has almost double the market share they have in the UK, and it still leaves them in 5th place.

Aldi has been in the US since the 70's, Lidl is in the process of opening in the US, and selected an Irish management team to lead. Aldi and Lidl are now the #1 and 2 retail store advertisers on Irish TV, and the ads have more sophistication and are less about pricing. Videos of Pat the farmer driving his new Merc extolling the virtues of whoever bought his entire production, and how proud he is to be their supplier.

Old 02-16-2017, 03:05 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,115,518 times
Which? survey names favourite UK supermarkets - BBC News

Seems Waitrose and Iceland, are the current favourites with UK shoppers!

Old 03-06-2017, 08:24 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,573,399 times
WAITROSE!

But it also depends on the neighborhood. I've been in crappy Sainsburys and good ones, for example.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:12 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,037 times
Aldi and Tesco. Depending on cash flow!

Old 03-07-2017, 07:41 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,115,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zola View Post
Which? survey names favourite UK supermarkets - BBC News

Seems Waitrose and Iceland, are the current favourites with UK shoppers!
Given that Iceland came top in a recent shopping poll with UK shoppers, I thought I'd give their online home-delivery service a try.

Okay, so the site isn't as comprehensive and/or wide ranging compared to the some of the Big Boys, but if you're not overly fussy it is certainly a place to pick up quite a lot of bargains! And with free delivery for orders over £35 certainly helped.

I placed a smallish order last night at 8pm, and easily managed to book a slot for today between 10-12noon, at no extra cost (Had I used say Asda or Sainsbury's I would have probably been charged £5 or £6 unless I spent over £100 with them!)

And sure enough at 10:15 the truck arrived, the driver delivered two crates of goodies, and there were no substitutions. The driver even helped me handing over the shopping bags, and called me "ma'am"

So very satisfied with Iceland. All very cheap, cheerful and convenient. Probably wouldn't go with them every time, but for a good bargain, they're hard to beat!

Old 03-07-2017, 10:35 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,845,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Zola View Post
Given that Iceland came top in a recent shopping poll with UK shoppers, I thought I'd give their online home-delivery service a try.

Okay, so the site isn't as comprehensive and/or wide ranging compared to the some of the Big Boys, but if you're not overly fussy it is certainly a place to pick up quite a lot of bargains! And with free delivery for orders over £35 certainly helped.

I placed a smallish order last night at 8pm, and easily managed to book a slot for today between 10-12noon, at no extra cost (Had I used say Asda or Sainsbury's I would have probably been charged £5 or £6 unless I spent over £100 with them!)

And sure enough at 10:15 the truck arrived, the driver delivered two crates of goodies, and there were no substitutions. The driver even helped me handing over the shopping bags, and called me "ma'am"

So very satisfied with Iceland. All very cheap, cheerful and convenient. Probably wouldn't go with them every time, but for a good bargain, they're hard to beat!
Honestly some of Icelands currys are out of this world. Was surprised.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:39 PM

431 posts, read 929,266 times
We tend to be very loyal to Tesco. Can't beat the clubcard. Waitrose comes in a far second.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:51 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Waitrose, M&S Food and Sainsbury's are all good.

In terms of the cheaper retailers, Aldi and Lidl are decent enough.

Old 03-14-2017, 05:54 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,427,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Waitrose, M&S Food and Sainsbury's are all good.

In terms of the cheaper retailers, Aldi and Lidl are decent enough.
Aldi coleslaw is half the price of ASDA.......... Lots of good quality food in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom