Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2017, 10:54 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Someone else says supper? I was embarrassed to admit it but where I live it's supper. Dinner is Sunday or something fancy in a restaurant or fancy dinner at someone's home. But I live in New England and we seem to be different.

I think the use of "tea" to mean supper is a northern thing. Just the same as, "The clock were slow." (which I just heard.)
When I was a kid here in northern England, it was breakfast, dinner, tea. Supper was something you may have late on while watching the telly........a snack. Nowadays folks tend to say lunch instead of dinner. Tea is still the evening meal though.

Using 'were' instead of 'was' is also a northern English thing. For instance, "when did you last see your lost watch?" Answer, "it were in the kitchen."............

Enjoy your trip to England!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2017, 11:28 PM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
When I was a kid here in northern England, it was breakfast, dinner, tea. Supper was something you may have late on while watching the telly........a snack. Nowadays folks tend to say lunch instead of dinner. Tea is still the evening meal though.

Using 'were' instead of 'was' is also a northern English thing. For instance, "when did you last see your lost watch?" Answer, "it were in the kitchen."............

Enjoy your trip to England!!
Thank you, English Dave. It'd better be bloody good weather!

Old 03-01-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Thank you, English Dave. It'd better be bloody good weather!
March in England? Bring your raincoat!!.......It were raining a few minutes ago!!.........

Old 03-01-2017, 11:40 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,112,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
I was once asked to leave a bar at a US air base for saying "Bloody Hell" quietly to my then boyfriend but was overheard by someone who told the bartender, who then sent for the Manager, i got a surprise when he tapped me on the shoulder and asked me to leave for using bad language. When i look back i realise now that i didn't think at that time that it was actually BAD language as everyone seemed to use it. It sounds so innocent now as the F word has taken over. I must aslo add that many Gay men of that era used to say it with a flourish it sounded great to me.
Seriously?!! Haha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Brit in Australia here. Yes, I use it sometimes. "Bloody Hell, it's hot today!", or "Bloody heck, those kids are noisy!"

Sometimes use 'bloody' on its own - "Where did I put the bloody keys?", "That bloody dripping tap is driving me bloody mad!"

I use 'bloody' as a crankier version of saying 'damn'.
lol
It's pretty common in Australia. I wouldn't even notice if someone said it. lol

Old 03-01-2017, 11:51 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,793 times
I grew up in south-east England. We had breakfast, lunch and dinner. Tea was something we had at 4pm ish - a cup of tea, a Golf biscuit, and maybe a slice of Swiss roll.

However, we did have supper on Sunday evening, not dinner. This was because the main meal on Sundays was the traditional roast at lunch time (lamb or beef usually; pork for a special occasion). So the Sunday evening meal wasn't as substantial as it was through the week - baked beans on toast, toasted sandwich - something like that. Hence it was called supper.

Yup, "bloody" isn't considered bad language in Australia and wasn't in England when I grew up there (though I wouldn't have said it in front of my parents or grannies until I was adult).

Artemis: Remember the "Bugger!" ads?! Toyota Hi-Lux? Some ute or other.

Old 03-02-2017, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
I grew up in south-east England. We had breakfast, lunch and dinner. Tea was something we had at 4pm ish - a cup of tea, a Golf biscuit, and maybe a slice of Swiss roll.
Hi Kobber, nice to see you posting! Yeah, my first wife came from Kent. It was breakfast, lunch, and dinner in her house. I used to think, "why do they call tea, dinner?"................

Her dad used to make me laugh. He asked me, "do the old women still wear shawls over their heads up there Diave?"I found being called Diave, instead of Dave very off putting....... anyway...... I said, "no they don't." This was in 1973, and he was talking about 30 years previously, when he spent some time in the north of England during the war.

To me, at that time, 30 years previously was ancient history. Now, 1987 seems like yesterday.

Old 03-02-2017, 08:53 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,115,790 times
Probably because of this thread, but when I checked my utility bill this morning from Npower, one of the first things I uttered was "Bloody Hell!"

However, then I noticed the bit about "we're increasing our prices by an average of 15%", and that's when I went back to my usual ....errr.... some quite severe Anglo Saxon adjectives!

Old 03-02-2017, 09:03 AM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
March in England? Bring your raincoat!!.......It were raining a few minutes ago!!.........
Over here it's -5 with high winds. Rain will be coming. Dog were just out--wanted to come back in 't 'ouse.

(I'm practicing!) Bloody Hell!

Old 03-02-2017, 09:41 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,115,790 times
Quote:
Over here it's -5 with high winds. Rain will be coming. Dog were just out--wanted to come back in 't 'ouse.

(I'm practicing!) Bloody Hell!
I look forward to your trip here to England in a few days!

You'll be saying "bloody hell" quite a lot when you notice:-

train delays or cancellations
taxi fares
hotel prices
the mad traffic jams
the weather of course
mad cyclists
mad lorry drivers
mad bus drivers
mad taxi drivers
mad car drivers
mad pedestrians
mad rollerskaters
mad mad mad mad everything else!

lol

Old 03-02-2017, 11:01 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,258,832 times
I'd really like to be able to use the term "bloody rotter", but it would sound thoroughly ridiculous coming out in my Baltimore accent.

A British friend informs me that it would be unusual to hear it in a British accent from anyone less than 75 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom