Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 03:40 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,284,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
The injustices as they saw them. To compare the challenges of the Republicans in Northern Ireland to those of the native blacks in apartheid South Africa is a controversial comparison to say the least.
so you believe the grievances were imagined ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 04:03 PM

6,112 posts, read 3,920,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
so you believe the grievances were imagined ?
No, I accept that Republicans have legitimate grievances, but in terms of magnitude I certainly wouldn't compare them to what native South Africans such as Mandela faced.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:10 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,841,928 times
Quote:
No, I accept that Republicans have legitimate grievances, but in terms of magnitude I certainly wouldn't compare them to what native South Africans such as Mandela faced.
True but they are levels to oppression but on the ground, you feel the oppression all the same.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
True but they are levels to oppression but on the ground, you feel the oppression all the same.
I don't see the logic behind that. You could say we're all oppressed to a certain extent.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
you dont have to have an exact equal situation in order to draw parallels , parallels are useful in order to illustrate a circumstance , i didnt bring up mandella

the uk is in europe yet allowed a situation in one of its regions to get completely out of hand , had they ensured equality of opportunity and proper representation regardless of religon , its likely the IRA would never have gained traction , there will always be a handful of fanatics but the broader popolous wont support them if things are normal on the ground , hence why disident republicans now have almost zero support , most people are not idealogues and just want jobs , a vote and regular stuff

irish people are fairly moderate in reality

Old 03-21-2017, 04:39 PM

7,956 posts, read 11,841,928 times
Quote:
You could say we're all oppressed to a certain extent.
Of course I'd concur. But like I say levels.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
you dont have to have an exact equal situation in order to draw parallels , parallels are useful in order to illustrate a circumstance , i didnt bring up mandella

the uk is in europe yet allowed a situation in one of its regions to get completely out of hand , had they ensured equality of opportunity and proper representation regardless of religon , its likely the IRA would never have gained traction , there will always be a handful of fanatics but the broader popolous wont support them if things are normal on the ground , hence why disident republicans now have almost zero support , most people are not idealogues and just want jobs , a vote and regular stuff

irish people are fairly moderate in reality
Let's not pretend that this is all on the UK government. I've seen through this thread that people are rightly acknowledged that there's evil on both sides here. It's a self-perpetuating cycle. One that's unfortunately fueled by the twin cancers of nationalism and religion.

Old 03-21-2017, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Let's not pretend that this is all on the UK government. I've seen through this thread that people are rightly acknowledged that there's evil on both sides here. It's a self-perpetuating cycle. One that's unfortunately fueled by the twin cancers of nationalism and religion.
few across the water appear to think there was any fault on the part of the london goverment

that england voted for brexit shows just how little understanding there is and was about northern ireland , the peace process alone was enough reason to vote YES to remaining in europe , should northern ireland fail again , the brexit vote will be remembered

Old 03-21-2017, 05:28 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,977,838 times
Have to agree. The English won't take any blame for their destruction that they have caused around the world. The Northern Ireland problem, to put it bluntly, was at the end of the day contributed to by the British Government.

The British Government could've put a stop to the Troubles and atrocities by acting fairly and stopping the likes of Gerrymandering.

Ignoring Northern Ireland and pretending that it is an offshoot colony 5,000 miles isn't helping. The reality is that NI is part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and will continue to do so, and so it should be managed as such.

Of course, we have made some headway with Tony Blair and our now fabulous Primeminister, Theresa May. But I think we still have a way to go in terms of recognition that we are a United Kingdom and not a group of colonies.

Last edited by GymFanatic; 03-21-2017 at 05:47 PM..

Old 03-21-2017, 05:40 PM

3,147 posts, read 1,977,838 times
Also about Brexit. English people say "UK", they mean England and see the UK as England. They don't think about the other regions of the UK and don't care about the other regions either. That's why in England people use the nationality "British" to refer to the English.

People harp on about NI being forced out, I think they would pull down the whole UK if they had the chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom