Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2017, 12:12 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,403,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Corbyn has nothing to lose and everything to gain.

Theresa May could be a good prime minister but she is a terrible election campaigner and the Tories have done an awful job.

The old saying, 'snatching defeat from the jaws of victory' comes to mind.
She should win this election easily. If she doesn't, and we end up with a worse situation than before the election for the Tories, the EU will be delighted. May thought she would stride into the arena with a massive mandate from the British public. If she doesn't, then she will look weak, and a loser.

She needs to find some guts for the last week of the campaign. Right now she looks like she's on the run, and Corbyn is laughing at her fear of facing him in debate. Her cautious bureaucratic nature is harming her now, and she has to find something different to show us. Can she do it? I'm not sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2017, 03:24 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,495,279 times
Smart move by May to give tonight's debate a swerve.
All the viewing public saw were second rate politicians bickering amongst themselves - not one of them looked and behaved like a Prime Minister.
FWIW, the BBC in-house bias unit excelled itself tonight with that audience.
Shockingly one-sided and eventually embarrassing that anything Corbyn said was applauded.
He could have read the Cambridge telephone directory and it would have met with a round of applause.
Fortunately I don't think the British electorate is as stupid as the BBC would have you believe.
Still a minimum 80-seat majority in the bag.

Old 05-31-2017, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
All the viewing public saw were second rate politicians bickering amongst themselves - not one of them looked and behaved like a Prime Minister.
Shockingly one-sided and eventually embarrassing that anything Corbyn said was applauded.
He could have read the Cambridge telephone directory and it would have met with a round of applause.
Fortunately I don't think the British electorate is as stupid as the BBC would have you believe.
You're whistling in the dark Roscoe......... The Tories are s******g themselves........ I love the smell of napalm in the morning. I'm enjoying the show.

Old 05-31-2017, 03:40 PM

14,249 posts, read 17,885,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
I am hearing the same thing from friends in the UK.

Why bother attending when you are going to get shouted down and constantly interrupted?

Old 05-31-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
I am hearing the same thing from friends in the UK.

Why bother attending when you are going to get shouted down and constantly interrupted?
Come on Jaggy........ you know Theresa's running scared don't ya? Let's be honest here! I'm just enjoying the squirming. The fact I despise them all is coming to the fore, even though I feel the Tories are the best of a bad bunch.

Old 05-31-2017, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Come on Jaggy........ you know Theresa's running scared don't ya? Let's be honest here! I'm just enjoying the squirming. The fact I despise them all is coming to the fore, even though I feel the Tories are the best of a bad bunch.
I think she is a very bad debater and a very bad campaigner and I think she knows it. That, in my opinion, is why she didn't take part. From what I have heard, however, is that her decision not to turn up was a good one given her lack of debating skills, given that the audience appeared to be hostile to anything Tory and given that it was a generalised attack by all the other parties on them.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:15 PM

703 posts, read 445,546 times
Quote:
I think she is a very bad debater and a very bad campaigner and I think she knows it. That, in my opinion, is why she didn't take part. From what I have heard, however, is that her decision not to turn up was a good one given her lack of debating skills, given that the audience appeared to be hostile to anything Tory and given that it was a generalised attack by all the other parties on them.
So, she's a very bad debater and a very bad campaigner. Not the best qualities for a prospective negotiator I would suggest.
The reason she didn't take part is obvious - a cynical decision that she has more to lose by taking part than staying away. An insult to the electorate, the fallout from which I fervently hope reflects in the ballot box on polling day.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff956 View Post
So, she's a very bad debater and a very bad campaigner. Not the best qualities for a prospective negotiator I would suggest.
The reason she didn't take part is obvious - a cynical decision that she has more to lose by taking part than staying away. An insult to the electorate, the fallout from which I fervently hope reflects in the ballot box on polling day.
Which, of course, is the very same reason that Jeremy Corbyn made a last minute decision to take part.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:24 PM

5,606 posts, read 3,495,279 times
Quote:
I don't think people really care if a politician is a bad debater or runs a poor election.They want someone who can run the country competently,deliver jobs and provide security.
Under the Tories employment is high and anyone who wants a job can find one.Corbyn has never held office and is despised by the vast majority of his MPs.
The Tories also delivered on the outcome of the Brexit vote.
This is why I think Theresa May will stroll home with an 80+ seat majority.Whether a blatantly pro-Labour audience bays at a Tory speaker like a pitchfork-waving mob is immaterial which is why I think she was wise to give the debates a swerve.
Corbyn merely succeeded in making himself look like all the other candidates rather than a potential Prime Minister.
By the way YouGov is basing its polls on a turnout of 18-25 year old voters of 80%.This is madness.Ignore them.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:48 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,255,705 times
Quote:
You say cynical decision, I say smart move.

Picking your battles wisely is an important skill for a politician.

BREXIT negotiations won't involve any countries premiers, but specific staff selected to negotiate. She'll probably only speak to reporters and sign the finished document if it ever finishes in time, exactly the same as Juncker will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom