Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 03:21 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,271,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Here's the problem that I see.

It's important to not allow terrorists to change our way of life.

Nice in principle but when it is my 12 year old daughter who wants to go to a concert or some other venue that is a likely target, my defiance is somewhat tempered.

If concerts and sports games become a target of choice, do you allow your children to go?
Why not?

Your children still have a higher risk of dying in the trip to the event by a drunk driver than at the event with a bomb.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon1 View Post
How about putting ankle bracelets on people on the watch list/too bad if they complain/if they dont have anything to hide whats the fuss.
Are you on a watch list? Do you have anything to hide?

If you don't have anything to hide, then why not lead by example and volunteer? Or are you one of the people who thinks only the worthy are on watch lists?

On the release of info in all honesty I think that the information being complained about is more about the UK govt looking incompetent, than it seriously impacting the investigation. Now if you want to see a real foot in mouth event you can wind back to GW Bush announcing ECHELON back in the early 2000's that gave me and a lot of people I know a good belly laugh at the chicken coop noises coming from AUSCANNZUKUS and GCHQ. That however was a serious screw up, this is hardly news, but look at the difference a decade makes.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:25 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,774,686 times
Bad guys made of a huge mistake by going after kids. The gloves are off. Serious retaliations are in the work, no doubt. I think this was the work of some individuals, not some big organization. They can't be this stupid. They are crazy yes, but stupid enough to go after kids, probably not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 04:34 PM

779 posts, read 595,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Why not?

Your children still have a higher risk of dying in the trip to the event by a drunk driver than at the event with a bomb.
Are drunk drivers actively trying to kill people like terrorists do?

If it wasn't for the millions upon millions of money spent on preventing this kind of attacks people like you wouldn't be able to make such nonsensical, useless comments really. I bet people who have lost their friends and family in that way surely take great consolation in knowing that and it helps them make sense of it.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:49 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,424,858 times
I wrote a long reply to a post no longer here. My post refused to go. I have written my reply again, and hopefully, it will go this time, even though the questions asked have now gone with the wind.

I have witnessed my country change from a very much majority white native population, to what we have today. The British government after the war, and especially in the 1950s found they had a lot of jobs to fill, and not enough workers. They invited black people from the Caribbean, and folks from the sub continent of India and Pakistan to come to work and live in Britain.

Many came, and some like the Pakistani's went to the northern English towns, which had plenty of jobs in the cotton mills. With the abundance of jobs at that time, the white British didn't want such jobs as in the cotton mills. The Pakistani's especially filled the gap.

I used to see them over 50 years ago when I was a young schoolboy, going about their business, and on their way to work, in my home town Oldham. There wasn't very many of them, and they were a curious sight to us kids. I remember they had greasy looking dark hair, white shirts, and dark suits. They didn't speak to us, and we didn't speak to them.

As the 60s progressed, they brought over wives and other family members from the old country, and settled down to live their lives. They gathered in large numbers in certain towns and cities, and alarm bells started to go off. The British people were never asked if they wanted this. Governments just let more and more immigrate into my country.

It was at first, a slow change, and they lived in only certain areas of town. They didn't bother anybody, and made little fuss. As their numbers grew, this started to change. The immigrant children of those days were few, and so they went to schools of mainly white children. Those kids learned to mix, and join in games. The Muslim kids of that time, were very different to the young ones of today. Those kids tend to go to schools of almost exclusive Muslim children. Parallel lives became the norm. Both societies had little to do with each other.

They started having ever more children. There weren't enough schools where they lived, and bussing to mainly white schools began. I saw how this worked with my own eyes. The kids shared classes, but when they went outside the school at lunchtime, they separated, and didn't speak to each other. I was amazed seeing this.

The cry went up then of racism, and they became more vocal and demanding. They built mosques from which I assumed they raised the money among themselves. It was only later I learned much of the money came from Saudi Arabia. As they grew in numbers, bad feeling between the two groups started to increase. Problems began to grow with the children of the immigrants, and the native population.

In 1968, an alarmed politician called Enoch Powell spoke out in warning of what we faced if immigration wasn't curbed. The British people applauded this man. His reward was banishment from his political party, and the rest of his life was spent on the edges of political life. After that, all we heard were 'diversity' and 'multiculturalism is good' from politicians. They didn't want to suffer the same fate as Enoch Powell. The betrayal of the British people began to gather pace.

In 2001, in my home town Oldham, there was an outbreak of rioting from young Muslims. I watched in astonishment on television, the events in my home town. I saw large groups of Muslims rioting outside the church my two sons had used as a base for their Boys Brigade activities when they were small children. Suddenly we realised there had been a sea change, and things would never be the same again.

In July 2005, bombs exploded on the London underground, and on a bus driving down a road. 52 were killed, and hundreds injured. Muslim extremists had detonated bombs killing themselves, and other innocent passengers. Videos soon came out from the dead Muslims telling us why they did this. After this, came the murder of Lee Rigby, then the killing of innocent folks on a London bridge, and a few days ago, the slaughter in Manchester.

The government for years now, has brought out more and more draconian laws stopping free speech, in an effort to placate Muslims. The native population have been brow beaten, and called racists if they protested. We have heard constant success stories of multiculturalism, which have just made us laugh bitterly.

At the same time as all the problems posed by Muslims, we have had massive immigration from the EU. It has been like a battering ram constantly hitting us in the guts. In the north of England, ever since the days of Thatcher, entire industries have closed down, and many communities haven't recovered to this day. The south of the country has done well, and has ignored the despair of the north. Then, the arrogant Tory government, under pressure from Nigel Farage's UKIP party, promised a vote on EU membership. I smiled grimly to myself at this news. I knew this was a massive mistake, and we won the vote to leave. The government tried to fix the vote by fear, and even gave the vote to Irish citizens living in my country. Their government recommended they vote remain. We had a hill to climb knowing the selfish south would vote to remain, and Scotland also. We stood up, and we won. The whole world gasped in astonishment that we had done it against the odds.

Those brave men who fought for this country in two world wars, would turn in their graves to see this country betrayed by politicians and their craven cowardice. They have allowed our country to be invaded, and whoever we voted for, we got more of the same. We just felt in despair, and knew nobody was listening to us, as we watched the Muslims get more arrogant and demanding as time passed. Laws were brought out to shut us up, and when any patriot made a stand, like Tommy Robinson, they harassed and jailed him. Anything to keep a lid on things, and keep the Muslims from rioting and killing. We have been betrayed by our leaders, and their names will go down in history as traitors. They, and their predecessors, have pandered to invaders, and have led us to where we are today mourning our murdered children of Manchester. I spit on them all.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:54 PM

2,594 posts, read 1,239,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post
This is a good point. Our entire rule of law is predicated on intention. Its why a premeditated murder gets a much harsher sentence then an accidental one.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post

If it wasn't for the millions upon millions of money spent on preventing this kind of attacks people like you wouldn't be able to make such nonsensical, useless comments really. I bet people who have lost their friends and family in that way surely take great consolation in knowing that and it helps them make sense of it.

Doesn't matter whether the intent is to kill or not. If your child is in a body bag, do you think you'd feel better knowing the person responsible just had a couple of shots more than is legal, or that they were actively trying to do it.

Further I'm discussing statistics and probabilities. Drunk driving is far more likely than terrorism to affect you. Maybe you should think about that for a moment before throwing "nonsensical" at this forums moderator, who is not famed for being caring and understanding. Then consider whether those millions are well spent given your new perspective.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:26 PM

21,461 posts, read 10,562,304 times
Quote:
Are you on a watch list? Do you have anything to hide?

If you don't have anything to hide, then why not lead by example and volunteer? Or are you one of the people who thinks only the worthy are on watch lists?

On the release of info in all honesty I think that the information being complained about is more about the UK govt looking incompetent, than it seriously impacting the investigation. Now if you want to see a real foot in mouth event you can wind back to GW Bush announcing ECHELON back in the early 2000's that gave me and a lot of people I know a good belly laugh at the chicken coop noises coming from AUSCANNZUKUS and GCHQ. That however was a serious screw up, this is hardly news, but look at the difference a decade makes.
Or Obama giving the Russians the serial numbers of all the British nuclear warheads when negotiating the START arms treaty instead of telling the Russians that the Brits were not part of this deal and they will not give them the information (as all former presidents had done since the nuclear age).

Old 05-25-2017, 05:41 PM

779 posts, read 595,670 times
Quote:
Doesn't matter whether the intent is to kill or not. If your child is in a body bag, do you think you'd feel better knowing the person responsible just had a couple of shots more than is legal, or that they were actively trying to do it.
It absolutely matters how someone ends up in a body bag. There's a huge difference if someone acts recklessly and unintentionally kills somebody vs. somebody whose sole intention is to kill. Intent is a deciding factor even in the legal system.
Quote:
Further I'm discussing statistics and probabilities. Drunk driving is far more likely than terrorism to affect you.
So is a heart disease. The topic is about terrorism/bombing not drunk driving. Thus it's nonsensical to point it out.
Quote:
Maybe you should think about that for a moment before throwing "nonsensical" at this forums moderator, who is not famed for being caring and understanding. Then consider whether those millions are well spent given your new perspective.
What is this? Some attempt at intimidation? Are moderators infallible in your mind?

Old 05-25-2017, 06:29 PM

2,639 posts, read 1,992,877 times
I can imagine a period of Crisis, over a huge band of land from Ireland to China.

I recently checked out history DVDs from the public library, regarding the rise and fall of Rome.

The Romans had severe problems with the barbarian invasions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom