Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 05:47 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
hahaha not if you take it home with you Kathryn...
So many unsavory (or "unsavoury") scenarios fill my mind...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2017, 05:54 AM

231 posts, read 236,555 times
jean Francois,YES i was just pulling your chain,you got me.

As for Scotish People,I love the Scots and they have an absolutley Gorgeous country,

Old 07-09-2017, 06:06 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snapdragon1 View Post
jean Francois,YES i was just pulling your chain,you got me.

As for Scotish People,I love the Scots and they have an absolutley Gorgeous country,
thank you.. Im off to St Andrews in Fife on Tue and will get some photos..

Old 07-09-2017, 06:17 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,427,959 times
The native British are great people. I am always happiest among my own. I travel a lot, and meet other races, and I like most of them just fine. But, I genuinely believe my people are among the finest you will find anywhere in the world.

For some reason, there are some countries that just don't like the British. This genuinely puzzles me. How can anyone dislike folks like us? For a small island race, we have had a massive influence on the world, for good and bad.

We like to stand up for what's right, and our history shows that to be true. I am proud to come from these islands, and will be so until the day I die.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
The native British are great people. I am always happiest among my own. I travel a lot, and meet other races, and I like most of them just fine. But, I genuinely believe my people are among the finest you will find anywhere in the world.

For some reason, there are some countries that just don't like the British. This genuinely puzzles me. How can anyone dislike folks like us? For a small island race, we have had a massive influence on the world, for good and bad.

We like to stand up for what's right, and our history shows that to be true. I am proud to come from these islands, and will be so until the day I die.
quite right too EG.... we set the standards.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:45 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,116,314 times
There is a certain level of civility with the British people.

I am fond of the British way with words, even their food packaging has more insight than what we see on counterpart US packaging. I doubt there is any hard data to back this up, but I am pretty sure the average Brit has a wider vocabulary than the average American. More long-winded maybe, but more powerful usage of words, in almost any capacity.

I find the British people embrace creativity, and value efficiency.

Old 07-09-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
quite right too EG.... we set the standards.
sorry got distracted with grandkids should of course be ED haha

Old 07-09-2017, 12:41 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,956 times
Brits are very polite and easy to talk to. Striking up a conversation with a Brit is like having a conversation with a long lost cousin. I actually think Brits are more approachable than many of my fellow Americans. This was really noticeable after living in the former Soviet Union for a few years.

Britain has a good combination of friendliness and orderliness. Germany has the orderliness but struggles sometimes with the friendliness.

Old 07-09-2017, 01:09 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Brits are very polite and easy to talk to. Striking up a conversation with a Brit is like having a conversation with a long lost cousin. I actually think Brits are more approachable than many of my fellow Americans. This was really noticeable after living in the former Soviet Union for a few years.

Britain has a good combination of friendliness and orderliness. Germany has the orderliness but struggles sometimes with the friendliness.
I'll take a Brit over a German anytime. Germans were often rude. Rude driving, rude on the street, just plain rude. Also, although I know it's probably their custom, I didn't appreciate the server in the restaurant asking me if the food wasn't good or something was wrong with it. Just because I didn't eat every scrap on the plate. It was embarrassing.

Opposite in England. But, of course, the food was so good in England, I always cleaned my plate.

Old 07-10-2017, 03:34 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,594,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post

It is with some reluctance that I have to agree with DTL on the friendliness front, even if only ein bisschen.
I have a German daughter-in- law, and even after knowing her for more than 20 odd years, I still detect a certain hesitation on her part toward me when I walk into their house in Germany.
She'll come to me, and offer her cheeks for the standard 2 light kisses that she knows I always greet her with, but she'll rest her hands gently on my arms.
Maybe it's just me, but I, (wearing my psychoanalysis hat) probably misread this as "this is as close as I'm prepared to let you in, thus far and no further."
I can recall at her and my son's wedding in Germany, my ex wife, the bride's mother-in-law, said to my wife, "I don't know how she is with you Nicole, but I find Alina hard work, although she speaks impeccable English, getting words from her is like getting blood from a stone."
Alina's two sons however take after their father, (my son), when I turn up in Der Vaterland, it's "Hey Opa, let's go to the bierstube, your treat!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'll take a Brit over a German anytime. Germans were often rude. Rude driving, rude on the street, just plain rude. Also, although I know it's probably their custom, I didn't appreciate the server in the restaurant asking me if the food wasn't good or something was wrong with it. Just because I didn't eat every scrap on the plate. It was embarrassing.

Opposite in England. But, of course, the food was so good in England, I always cleaned my plate.
I won't disagree with you, but I've not encountered that, and I've been going to Germany once or twice per year for a long time now.
Even before I acquired German relatives, I worked intercontinental trucking, and was often in Berlin, Bonn, Düsseldorf, and Stuttgart.
If I was looking for someplace over there, having just a few words of German was a handicap.
I knew links, (left), recht, (right), and geradaus, (straight on), but that was about it, any other words accompanying the replies that I heard were a jumble.
I always managed to find someone willing to help though, if I had difficulty following instructions, sometimes they'd draw little maps for me, and on one occasion a guy who spoke a little English pointed to his car and said "follow me", we went for 2 or 3 klms, then he pulled over and pointed to some factory gates.
As to the waiter asking if something was wrong with the food, I never once encountered that, but I'm not doubting that it happened to you, maybe the guy thought that if he showed a little feigned interest, he may get a bigger tip!

Last edited by Jean-Francois; 07-10-2017 at 03:36 AM.. Reason: Added 'as'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom