Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 12:15 PM

1,529 posts, read 916,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
I seem to have touched a nerve with these drinking comments. There's nothing wrong with drinking, but moderation is key
Leave well alone, thank you.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:31 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,739,641 times
The Swiss are also fed up with the excessive numbers of foreigners in their country, which they can't do anything against. So, I don't think a Swiss-style arrangement is ideal. Switzerland is a very different country, just 8m people, surrounded by EU countries, much more dependent on the EU.

I don't believe in bad compromises. When you have clear principles and goals, stick with them, no matter what...

Old 06-22-2017, 08:55 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,922,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The Swiss are also fed up with the excessive numbers of foreigners in their country, which they can't do anything against. So, I don't think a Swiss-style arrangement is ideal. Switzerland is a very different country, just 8m people, surrounded by EU countries, much more dependent on the EU.

I don't believe in bad compromises. When you have clear principles and goals, stick with them, no matter what...
The thing with Switzerland is that it's the kind of place where the population can increase significantly during weekdays because so many foreign workers from neighbouring countries work there during the week. Open borders to a landlocked country like Switzerland are more important than it is to an island nation such as the UK.

They have a form of direct democracy where they regularly hold referendums on certain issues. Yet 3 years ago they narrowly voted against a motion to restrict immigration. So even they are getting a bit sick with it, as you said.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swis..._February_2014

Old 06-22-2017, 10:03 AM

What do the Queen and the royals in general think about the Brexit?

Old 06-22-2017, 10:26 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 22 hours ago)

27,163 posts, read 13,449,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
What do the Queen and the royals in general think about the Brexit?
I have no idea, the Queen is Head of State, she is not a politician, so her view doesn't really matter.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post
I certainly do not drink neither before, during or after CD. Period.

Citizens of EU countries don't really care how despised the EU may or may not be in the UK. Also, I don't think
very few are terrified of losing this particular member state. The EU will do just fine without the UK. I wish you all well.
I think you could do with a drink red.

Nice Ice Cold German Beer.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:28 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,427,959 times
The repulsive Tusk is trying it on. We have had bad cop....... now it's time for good cop. They are terrified of us leaving, and them having to fill in the hole in the finances. Now, it's an attempt to undermine the vote.

Brexit: 'Dreamer' Tusk says UK may yet stay in the EU - BBC News

Old 06-22-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
The repulsive Tusk is trying it on. We have had bad cop....... now it's time for good cop. They are terrified of us leaving, and them having to fill in the hole in the finances. Now, it's an attempt to undermine the vote.

Brexit: 'Dreamer' Tusk says UK may yet stay in the EU - BBC News
He certainly is a dreamer.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:47 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
This all sounds peachy.

So why does the economy suck? Good luck with Jaguar. Maybe it will help the flagging housing and retail market and drop in wages, but if Trump has his way they will be much too expensive in the US due to tariffs.

And will UK residents pick crops after they kick out all those migrants? Guess farmers will have to pay more, but won't the cost of food go way up?

"...The UK economy was the worst performer in the European Union in the opening months of 2017 as the Brexit vote took its toll, according to official statistics that underscore the challenge facing the next British government..."

The confirmation that the UK was the worst performer in the EU growth league in the first quarter follows news last week that it was also trailing behind the world’s advanced economies, with Canada registering stellar growth in the first three months of the year.."

“It is not easy to find British people to do it,” he says. “The eastern Europeans are brilliant workers. If we were not able to employ them because the rules were tightened, or because we left the EU, it is difficult to see how we could operate.”

That is just part of the worry. The other fear that farmers such as Long have is the loss of their subsidies if the UK was no longer part of the CAP..."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...tandards-costs

https://www.theguardian.com/business...-growth-league

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...-eu-referendum

Old 06-22-2017, 10:58 AM

If necessary, I would assign those farmhand jobs per random generator to unemployed males between 20 and 40. If they reject the offer without a doctor's certificate, their entitlement to unemployment benefits end.

Last edited by Neuling; 06-22-2017 at 11:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom