Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 05:39 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,729,600 times

Advertisements

Strange, why is there no active Brexit thread? It is the most important topic for the UK for years or decades to come, far more important than any terrorist attack...

Anyway, yesterday the Brexit negotiations started and I was wondering why Britain doesn't completely reject talks on the fate of EU citizens in Britain? Why am I wondering? Because in my view the term 'EU citizens' does not exit in legal terms, it is only short for citizens of EU member countries. But countries outside the EU - which will include Britain - do not accept the term EU citizens. When someone from a EU country goes or emigrates for instance to the US, China, Brazil or anywhere else outside the EU, they have to fill in forms, they have to apply for visas etc. And when they are asked for their citizenship, they can't say EU, they have to say that they are from France, Germany etc. Simply, because there is no EU citizenship. Naturally one can't apply for EU citizenship, either, only for French, German, etc. citizenship.

In other words, if I were Britain, I would not even talk about that topic with the EU, but only on a bilateral basis with each EU country separately.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:33 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,424,173 times
It's going to be a long hard slog. In the end, I believe we will become so exasperated trying to get 27 countries to come to an agreement, we will be forced to walk away from the EU, and let the cards fall where they may. The French especially want to punish us, and will be particularly awkward. I feel we are wasting our time, and this will soon become evident.

Old 06-20-2017, 06:46 AM

27,130 posts, read 13,424,152 times
It's impossible to offer any real analysis until we see the results of the negotiations, is it going to be about keeping the UK as an important partner in Europe or is it going to be about punishing the UK and annoying the people of Britain. If it's the latter then many EU Countries will end up punishing and hurting their own economies, however I suspect the EU still wants Britain to be part of Europe even if it is from the sidelines.

It's not just the UK that will benefit from Brexit . The EU will too - Guardian

Old 06-20-2017, 07:15 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,920,053 times
Does anyone else think 'Brexit' sounds like a breakfast cereal?

Old 06-20-2017, 07:21 AM

27,130 posts, read 13,424,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post

Old 06-20-2017, 07:21 AM

699 posts, read 368,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Strange, why is there no active Brexit thread? It is the most important topic for the UK for years or decades to come, far more important than any terrorist attack...

Anyway, yesterday the Brexit negotiations started and I was wondering why Britain doesn't completely reject talks on the fate of EU citizens in Britain? Why am I wondering? Because in my view the term 'EU citizens' does not exit in legal terms, it is only short for citizens of EU member countries. But countries outside the EU - which will include Britain - do not accept the term EU citizens. When someone from a EU country goes or emigrates for instance to the US, China, Brazil or anywhere else outside the EU, they have to fill in forms, they have to apply for visas etc. And when they are asked for their citizenship, they can't say EU, they have to say that they are from France, Germany etc. Simply, because there is no EU citizenship. Naturally one can't apply for EU citizenship, either, only for French, German, etc. citizenship.

In other words, if I were Britain, I would not even talk about that topic with the EU, but only on a bilateral basis with each EU country separately.
So people dying is less important than pointless bureaucracy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razza94 View Post
Yep I thought the same thing, haha!

Old 06-20-2017, 07:40 AM

Regarding the bigger picture, yes, the Brexit is more important. I know it sounds a bit harsh, but still...

Old 06-20-2017, 07:40 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,920,053 times
There's a whole bunch of Brexit-related threads on here.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:05 AM

699 posts, read 368,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Regarding the bigger picture, yes, the Brexit is more important. I know it sounds a bit harsh, but still...
Sorry but I'm more concerned about being burnt alive in a tower block or being mowed down by a crazy terrorist than Brexit (cereal) talks.

Call me ignorant but I doubt Brexit (with milk ) will affect my standard of living very much. If anything they might stop my housing benefit or lower my wages. boo wooo..

Old 06-20-2017, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever96 View Post
Sorry but I'm more concerned about being burnt alive in a tower block or being mowed down by a crazy terrorist than Brexit (cereal) talks.

Call me ignorant but I doubt Brexit (with milk ) will affect my standard of living very much. If anything they might stop my housing benefit or lower my wages. boo wooo..
I hope you are right, but, but, depending on your job/industry, you might feel a considerable impact on your life, especially in the long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.