Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 01:39 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
she agrees we go next year , accommodation is expensive in the south west of england , even with the weak pound , expensive
Yes. We were fortunate enough to be there in the off season both times. First time was early September but it was very crowded. Sometimes I had to take pictures from the car because it was too crowded to even get out. Last time was early March and I was surprised, with raging blizzards over here, that it was quite warm and balmy--with flowers too! And not many tourists, mostly locals. Prices were more affordable in March, so much so that we actually stayed in real hotels, not Days Inn, lol.

I think the cost of lodging is cheaper if you stay more inland. When we were there in Sept we couldn't find places to stay at all unless we ventured inland.

(I have just finished watched the last of Season 2 online. I think it was season 2 but I'm lost in a haze of fighting men, galloping steeds, and a final scene of nearly violent passion. As of the moment, I do not like this man, Poldark, very much!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 02:12 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,061,419 times
^ I think I know which bit of Poldark you mean.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
^ I think I know which bit of Poldark you mean.
You do. How DARE he! I wish he'd take his poor little family that he's hurt so much and just take them away somewhere and start over. Of course he had to do something about his bruised ego but that was too much.

After the last episode of season 2, it somehow fast forwarded into forbidden (to us, over here) somewhere in the middle of season 3 by mistake. They'd better throw in a few palm trees or something because it's getting rotten.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
You do. How DARE he! I wish he'd take his poor little family that he's hurt so much and just take them away somewhere and start over. Of course he had to do something about his bruised ego but that was too much.

After the last episode of season 2, it somehow fast forwarded into forbidden (to us, over here) somewhere in the middle of season 3 by mistake. They'd better throw in a few palm trees or something because it's getting rotten.
Yes, you will find that he's not quite the man you were praising a few posts ago. I think people were stuck with their lives in those days, because they were so poor.

As you have probably seen, it was even difficult to find food to feed everyone back then. Probably relying a lot on fishing. They would have also had to stay where the mines were, for some meagre income.

Old 08-02-2017, 06:09 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
https://www.visitscotland.com/info/t...-beach-p727391

Plockton in Scotland.. beautiful with these trees. I have one in my garden.. in the middle of Glasgow. http://www.motorhomeadventurescotlan...ri_304522c.jpg
Very nice!

Old 08-02-2017, 06:19 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I don't understand why any of you go to those other countries when you can have it all right there in Britain. Or so it seems.

I liked the Lake District too, it's always raining there but it doesn't matter-- however for exotic scenery, the likes of which I've never seen before, it has to be Cornwall. Went for the second time this past March and flowers were already in bloom! Everywhere! Primroses, daffodils (I said on this forum that all I wanted was to see ONE daffodil in winter--I saw MILLIONS!) Grass was bright green, weather was beautiful, places weren't packed with summer crowds, air was fresh, food was gorgeous. Cannot say enough about it--oh, and it was cheap due to the value of the pound.
Going abroad is always viewed as being a bit more 'exotic'. Also although the weather is no where near as bad as its made out to be in the UK it is sometimes a bit un-predictable, in the UK (and most of Northern Europe) the rainfall can come at any time of year - it is just as likely to rain in June as it is in December whereas if you go south to the Med for example you are practically guaranteed hot sunshine in the Summer (they get a vast majority of their rain in the winter months). Personally I have spent a lot of time surfing the beaches of Cornwall and used to spend 2-3 weeks every August there and most of the time the weather would be rather lovely (I seem to remember the odd showery day here and there). I did go for 4 days in March once though and it was grey/drizzly for all 4 days! This August I am spending 2 weeks the other side of the country in my home county of Kent, its going to be the last 2 weeks of August......I'll let you know if it rains! :-)

Old 08-02-2017, 06:59 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
OK y'all have gone and done it now - now I have to watch Poldark!

And I also have to post some photos of Yorkshire. I loved visiting there!
Attached Thumbnails
Most beautiful part of the UK?-whitby-abbey.jpg   Most beautiful part of the UK?-bolton-abbey-ruins.jpg   Most beautiful part of the UK?-yorkshire-sheep-moor.jpg   Most beautiful part of the UK?-whitby-harbor-little-boats.jpg   Most beautiful part of the UK?-whitby-graveyard.jpg  

Old 08-03-2017, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Going abroad is always viewed as being a bit more 'exotic'. Also although the weather is no where near as bad as its made out to be in the UK it is sometimes a bit un-predictable, in the UK (and most of Northern Europe) the rainfall can come at any time of year - it is just as likely to rain in June as it is in December whereas if you go south to the Med for example you are practically guaranteed hot sunshine in the Summer (they get a vast majority of their rain in the winter months). Personally I have spent a lot of time surfing the beaches of Cornwall and used to spend 2-3 weeks every August there and most of the time the weather would be rather lovely (I seem to remember the odd showery day here and there). I did go for 4 days in March once though and it was grey/drizzly for all 4 days! This August I am spending 2 weeks the other side of the country in my home county of Kent, its going to be the last 2 weeks of August......I'll let you know if it rains! :-)
Did you used to go surfing at Fistral Beach, in Newquay? There were always lots of surfers there.

Old 08-03-2017, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK y'all have gone and done it now - now I have to watch Poldark!

And I also have to post some photos of Yorkshire. I loved visiting there!
Yes, watch Poldark, then we can have our own little Poldark fan club on here.

Nice photos of Yorkshire - I like the one of the sheep!

Old 08-03-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
Yes, watch Poldark, then we can have our own little Poldark fan club on here.

Nice photos of Yorkshire - I like the one of the sheep!
If you like rogue type men--and who doesn't? You may start to dislike him though, as I have. Too much "principle" not enough concern for his family. Looks out for everyone else, what about his own???

But it's a great means of escape. Thanks, Star, I needed me some Poldark that day.

Kathryn, it's available on PBS Masterpiece but not being rich and being extremely frugal, I googled it and found it for free. The BBC is blocked here but it was on some site. Season two was easier to find--some site called watch tv, I think. I just kept googling Poldark and the season and episode and then scrolled down until I found watch tv. Most reliable and no viruses was that watch tv or was it watch tv online? But it's all on there, bare chest and all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom