Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 09:17 PM

2,672 posts, read 5,437,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golazzzo View Post
So why don't the Irish ever talk about pirate raids against the British mainland where they raped, pillaged, and took slaves back to Ireland? Or how about the massacres against Protestants and British settlers?

If you're going to call for balance, then why not also apply it to yourself rather than only focusing on the parts of your history where you were the victims?
I don't have a problem discussing any aspects of history. During the Plantations (not just Ulster either) the Irish did kill settlers but most people would if they were shoved off their land. It was pretty brutal times and both British and Irish slaughtered each other. The same would have happened if the situation was reversed and the Irish were colonising Britain.

Regarding pirate raids people then were usually clan based and had loyalty to that. They didn't think of themselves as a nation. The Irish didn't occupy or colonise Britain. Even if you look at something like Dalriada that area between Ireland and Scotland was basically a highway and people went back and forth. They weren't nation states like today. This was the same with the Vikings and the Anglo-Saxons. Are we going to accuse the Norwegians, Danes and Frisians of invading Britain?

With the British history in Ireland it is a lot more recent and accessible. The whole point is that colonisation of Ireland resulted in the present day partition of Ireland with all the ensuing problems. If you look at people's comments they appear to think it is Irish fighing over religion. This is why I don't think people know their history too well.

It has nothing to do with victim mentatality or blaming but understanding the past and the reprecussions today.

Last edited by Bernie20; 08-28-2017 at 10:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 10:25 AM

308 posts, read 235,528 times
I think whatever people make of certain politicians in Ireland,both north and south,doesnt make any difference to how they judge the average irishman,and i know most Irish wont judge me as being like Theresa May or Jeremy Corbyn .anymore than i think theyre particularly like Martin McGuinness or Ian Paisley

Old 08-29-2017, 01:30 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,154,872 times
The Irish invaded Britain first

https://vid.me/uzjxo

Old 08-29-2017, 04:43 PM

7,868 posts, read 10,238,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie20 View Post
I don't have a problem discussing any aspects of history. During the Plantations (not just Ulster either) the Irish did kill settlers but most people would if they were shoved off their land. It was pretty brutal times and both British and Irish slaughtered each other. The same would have happened if the situation was reversed and the Irish were colonising Britain.

Regarding pirate raids people then were usually clan based and had loyalty to that. They didn't think of themselves as a nation. The Irish didn't occupy or colonise Britain. Even if you look at something like Dalriada that area between Ireland and Scotland was basically a highway and people went back and forth. They weren't nation states like today. This was the same with the Vikings and the Anglo-Saxons. Are we going to accuse the Norwegians, Danes and Frisians of invading Britain?

With the British history in Ireland it is a lot more recent and accessible. The whole point is that colonisation of Ireland resulted in the present day partition of Ireland with all the ensuing problems. If you look at people's comments they appear to think it is Irish fighing over religion. This is why I don't think people know their history too well.

It has nothing to do with victim mentatality or blaming but understanding the past and the reprecussions today.
away with your nuanced understanding , has no place here

Old 08-29-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
The Irish invaded Britain first

https://vid.me/uzjxo
would you not consider yourself irish in some shape or form ? , albeit british - unionist , the late reverend ian paisely referred to himself as an irish man , personally i could not care less if unionist folk view themselves as irish in some kind of sense , i appreciate their identity is british first and foremost

just curious how prevalent this is amongst unionists ?

Old 08-30-2017, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
would you not consider yourself irish in some shape or form ? , albeit british - unionist , the late reverend ian paisely referred to himself as an irish man , personally i could not care less if unionist folk view themselves as irish in some kind of sense , i appreciate their identity is british first and foremost

Quite a lot use the term Northern Irish

Old 08-30-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Loves Dogs View Post
Quite a lot use the term Northern Irish
i know that but would unionists ever refer to themselves as irish while on the mainland ?

Old 08-30-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
i know that but would unionists ever refer to themselves as irish while on the mainland ?
Ive met a few and been good friends with a couple. All described themselves as Northern Irish.Though the accents were a dead giveaway anyhow.If you talked about the Northern Ireland situation they would say they thought of themselves as British but other than that it was always Northern irish.

Old 08-30-2017, 03:20 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,154,872 times
Quote:

A poll of men taken a good while ago had 70% choosing Ulster/Ullish. There are people now looking back to ancient times and identifying with Setanta and Congel as two heroes of Ulster who fought the Irish. Some even see those who support Irish unity as being traitors to Ulster.

Having said all that I think at the present time most would opt for British and some for Irish.

Paisley also said he was not Irish and then later said he was . All things to all men ?

Old 08-31-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
A poll of men taken a good while ago had 70% choosing Ulster/Ullish. There are people now looking back to ancient times and identifying with Setanta and Congel as two heroes of Ulster who fought the Irish. Some even see those who support Irish unity as being traitors to Ulster.

Having said all that I think at the present time most would opt for British and some for Irish.

Paisley also said he was not Irish and then later said he was . All things to all men ?
he might just have meant it as a geographical reference ( island of ireland )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom