Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 01:02 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Yip, oppressed, repressed and suppressed is their main words. But it works..the crying child gets lifted...the squeaky wheel gets the oil. They very seldom (if at all) admit to any wrongdoing. It is always the fault of somebody else...usually the English.
Even though we're always having to bail them out of trouble.
For generations it has been jobs in Britain which have helped keep their country afloat and this one is no exception.
And are they grateful ? Not a bit of it.
Still,at least they're paying their debts to us this time.Every six months the Irish government writes a cheque for €480 million and posts it off to HM Treasury - repaying the £3billion plus interest we loaned them when their ATM machines ran out of cash and Ryanair flights to the UK were full of the Irish unemployed beating a well-worn path to the comforting bosom of Britannia.
Well,someone has to Tarmac our roads I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2017, 03:00 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,664 times
This is turning divisive; most Irish and native Britons get on really well, from my experience. Religion, as always, divides people. We both share these beautiful islands and should stick together, especially as the World is going bonkers

Old 10-06-2017, 04:24 AM

308 posts, read 237,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Pakistan is in Asia not the Middle-East.
Pakistani immigrants have successfully integrated into the UK for many decades and have always been subject to rules and regulations regarding entry qualifications.
I'd suggest one of the reasons behind Brexit was immigration from newer East European members of the EU entitled to travel to the UK freely and without restriction.
But you are right on one thing - the article concerning the Irish is indeed garbage.
Going off topic slightly but Pakistani immigrants generally do NOT intergrate well.Go to any of the old mill towns in northern England and you will see complete ghettos of them. Saville Town in Dewsbury is 98% Asian Pakistani and if you go there as a stranger dont expect a nice response..

The people who DO intergrate are the Indians, you rarely here of problems with them.Even Southall with its huge Indian Asian population feels very safe to walk around.

Personally i like the East Europeans.Hard working and mainly quite nice people.

The article on the Irish i will agree is complete rubbish.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:24 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
Yip, oppressed, repressed and suppressed is their main words. But it works..the crying child gets lifted...the squeaky wheel gets the oil. They very seldom (if at all) admit to any wrongdoing. It is always the fault of somebody else...usually the English.
its funny ( if not ironic ) you say that ulsterman , from your many contributions to the " irish reunification " thread , you often detail the cause of the troubles and invariably always conclude that fault is 100% to blame with the irish yet here you are now accusing others of always wishing to blame another party

Old 10-06-2017, 05:26 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,290,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpshooterTom View Post
You see a comment like that implies that any criticism about British rule in Ireland, or any other aspect of British-Irish history is invalid and you're just a whiny git/MOPE otherwise.

Now I provided you with quote's earlier in this thread about a previous NI prime minister who openly encouraged discrimination against Catholics, and for early years in NI that's largely what was being practised. So don't accuse Catholics of 'inventing' it, it was real at the time. Is it relevant today? No not really but elements of unionism rarely acknowledges this part of history.

Now, your point regarding to admitting any "wrongdoing" I can assure you most reasonable Irish people living in the UK during the 70s-90s bore the brunt of guilt and shame each and every time one of those horrific bombs went off and the people they killed. There was that infamous scene involving Bono where he let rip at one of his concerts after the enniskillen bomb and i think he echoed what a lot rational Irish people were thinking after some of those attacks. Colin Parry IIRC had flowers thrown at his feet when he came to Ireland.
the uk is a great country and i like it more than most countries but folk like ulsterman wear only rose tinted glasses when it comes to his nations history , that goes for its dealings with ireland , india or anywhere else

tad myopic

Old 10-07-2017, 12:24 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,579,752 times
The Irish are the least of anyone's worries given the recent crop of migrants and refugees. I'm American but Brits often ask if I'm Irish. I actually am part Irish so I guess we all look alike!

Old 10-08-2017, 11:05 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,165,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
the uk is a great country and i like it more than most countries but folk like ulsterman wear only rose tinted glasses when it comes to his nations history , that goes for its dealings with ireland , india or anywhere else

tad myopic
Yes, thanks for confirming what I have been saying. It is people like me and the Brits who are to blame and us who wear the rose-tinted glasses and never ever the Irish.

Old 10-09-2017, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post

tad myopic
Surely if a person was myopic the last thing they would be wearing is rose-tinted glasses ?
Think about it.

Old 10-18-2017, 07:07 AM

Well these are the thoughts of an Irish snowflake about her time living in the UK.
Published in today's notoriously anti-English Irish Times it's possibly the worst piece of drivel I think I've ever read about this country.
If you do read it just imagine if it was an English person writing about their time in Ireland and the howls of outrage it would provoke.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-...11000002670848

Old 10-18-2017, 08:38 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,165,060 times
Don't think that would ever happen. Its a brave man or woman who would say bad things about the Irish. On the other hand some Irishmen and at least one Irish woman have broken the mould and said things as they saw it.

May have mentioned it before but in the 1950's the Irish could go to England and receive benefits straight away. Those going from Ulster had to wait 6 weeks like the rest in the UK. So the Irish have been looked after on the mainland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom