Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 08:07 PM

754 posts, read 485,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
So how many have labelled themselves 'KAI'?
I'm speaking generally across the net, i.e. people on any forums/twitter who are from Northern Ireland who have KAI or KAT in their usernames I think most people would assume there is a sectarian motive behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001
I was at the Ibrox disaster game by the way.
I've read about, wasn't born at the time. Hillsborough has sucked up a lot of the oxygen with regards to column inches (understandably) related to football tragedies and I think a lot of younger people actually know very little about the Ibrox or Bradford disasters therefore.

Sounds absolutely awful for somebody like you to have witnessed that, Alex Ferguson, his brother and Kenny Dalglish were also at the game. Incredibly dangerous those standing grounds back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 12:47 PM

1,820 posts, read 1,164,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Just asked my hubby what KAI meant,,, hes a Rangers supporter and he agreed with you.. nothing at all said about hating Irish..

My memory of it was the flute band was named after him but some Catholics youths in Ulster latched on to it and said it meant 'kill all Catholics'

The song about King Kai was to the tune of the Skye Boat Song.

Old 08-13-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
That would be Kai Johansen ...... played for Rangers in the late 1960s. His nickname was 'King Kai'.

Aye, yer right Jaggy. I couldn't remember his surname. Think he was from Norway.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
My memory of it was the flute band was named after him but some Catholics youths in Ulster latched on to it and said it meant 'kill all Catholics'

The song about King Kai was to the tune of the Skye Boat Song.
Oh come on, you're being a little naive you think that every time someone writes KAT or KAI in a loyalist estate that none of them are doing it for sectarian reasons and it's always because of that Kai Johansen who played for Rangers in the late 60s.

Although you make a valid point in that equally it be wrong to assume that anyone who writes KAI is automatically sectarian bigot as well, which would be unfair, that I wholeheartedly agree with.

Old 08-14-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxD View Post
You seem to place too much trust in what you've heard on internet forums.
Why? Are those posters bots? They're real people at the end of the day too. One could argue internet forums are more representative than real life as people are posting their actual thoughts which they couldn't get away with saying in real life.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:48 PM

2,661 posts, read 5,469,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpshooterTom View Post
Why? Are those posters bots? They're real people at the end of the day too. One could argue internet forums are more representative than real life as people are posting their actual thoughts which they couldn't get away with saying in real life.
Internet forums are not representative of the great majority by any stretch. They are usually for niche appeal and depending on what type of forum you frequent you will get certain biased opinions. Rangers have an image of being anti Irish Catholic so if you frequent boards with Rangers they will attract that type of poster. The vast majority of people don't even post on internet forums so of course you're not going to get an accurate opinion.

The Irish these days don't really register much opinion in the UK. I think of all Europeans British would think of the Irish as been most like themselves and this is vice versa as well. They are two countries that have a very interconnected history and have been intermarrying for as long as those two islands have had inhabitants.

There are always going to be bigots though and they will usually find a target somewhere for their irrational spiel.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:54 AM

37 posts, read 18,951 times
Quote:
Oh come on, you're being a little naive you think that every time someone writes KAT or KAI in a loyalist estate that none of them are doing it for sectarian reasons and it's always because of that Kai Johansen who played for Rangers in the late 60s.
I'm sure the 'FTP' graffiti is referring to the File Transfer Protocol way of transferring computer files between a client and server on a computer network as well.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:

Although you make a valid point in that equally it be wrong to assume that anyone who writes KAI is automatically sectarian bigot as well, which would be unfair, that I wholeheartedly agree with.
I was talking about when it first appeared away back. Think it was in the 1960s or early 70's. The band was from the Rathcoole estate in Belfast and it was named after Kai the Rangers player. It was much later as the violence increased that kill all irish was said to be the meaning.

I was wrong when I said 'Catholics' in an earlier post.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:08 PM

The Irish in England? Well like most people there were good and bad among them

Clerkenwell London. A barrel of gunpowder was brought in and placed close to the wall and exploded. The explosion in such surroundings resulted in six persons instantly killed, six more dying subsequently from injuries received, and one hundred wounded.

The wave of indignation and anger that swept over England rose to a great height of fury. Even the respectable Irish, who were not associated by ties of brotherhood with the criminals, became uneasy over the affair and hastened to disclaim all sympathy with those who carried out the bombing.

To express still more emphatically their sense of shame and horror, they presented to her Majesty, Queen Victoria, an address of loyalty and affection signed by no less than 22,603 Irish residents in the capital.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:11 PM

308 posts, read 237,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
I was talking about when it first appeared away back. Think it was in the 1960s or early 70's. The band was from the Rathcoole estate in Belfast and it was named after Kai the Rangers player. It was much later as the violence increased that kill all irish was said to be the meaning.

I was wrong when I said 'Catholics' in an earlier post.
That particular band are still going,and ive never heard complaints about the name,and surely if it was for Kill All Irish there would be plenty.

Im always amazed at these bands shouting out "the Billy Boys song".Billy Fullerton was a strike breaker in the 1926 General Strike.Him and his thug friends actually went to the shipyards in Govan and splattered the strikers everywhere.Odd that most of those workers were Protestant Loyalists.It was nigh on impossible to get work there if you were a Catholic,so these twits are celebrating a man who battered their Grandads and Great Grandads senseless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom