Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2017, 04:04 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times

Advertisements

for another 6 months?

More particularly, I know GB doesn't require a visa from Americans for 6 months or less. In the Schengen countries the maximum stay is 90 days in a 180-day period. Theoretically, could I stay in Britain 6 months, take a ferry to France and stay 90 days and then go back to GB for another 6 months--rinse repeat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2017, 04:45 PM

7,516 posts, read 13,621,554 times
A quick reading of the UK's visa rules at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigrat...-visitor-rules seems to frown on such a plan.

"Genuine intention to visit

V 4.2 The applicant must satisfy the decision maker that they are a genuine visitor. This means that the applicant:
  1. (a) will leave the UK at the end of their visit; and
  2. (b) will not live in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive visits, or make the UK their main home;"

Old 10-18-2017, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
A quick reading of the UK's visa rules at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/immigrat...-visitor-rules seems to frown on such a plan.

"Genuine intention to visit

V 4.2 The applicant must satisfy the decision maker that they are a genuine visitor. This means that the applicant:
  1. (a) will leave the UK at the end of their visit; and
  2. (b) will not live in the UK for extended periods through frequent or successive visits, or make the UK their main home;"
Yeah I saw that. It was under the visa section so I thought possibly it was applicable to people WITH a visa but not for people WITHOUT a visa (same 6 months or less). No go. Silly me. Thanks much for that confirmation.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:11 PM

7,516 posts, read 13,621,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Yeah I saw that. It was under the visa section so I thought possibly it was applicable to people WITH a visa but not for people WITHOUT a visa (same 6 months or less). No go. Silly me. Thanks much for that confirmation.
ISTM that even though a US person does not have to PRE-apply for a visa to enter the UK, when the immigration agent (the decision maker) stamps your passport at Heathrow, that is your "visa" to stay 6 months.

Old 10-18-2017, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
ISTM that even though a US person does not have to PRE-apply for a visa to enter the UK, when the immigration agent (the decision maker) stamps your passport at Heathrow, that is your "visa" to stay 6 months.
Yeah, so depending on his mood that morning a foreigner might or might not get their passport stamped.

Old 10-19-2017, 12:34 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
for another 6 months?

More particularly, I know GB doesn't require a visa from Americans for 6 months or less. In the Schengen countries the maximum stay is 90 days in a 180-day period. Theoretically, could I stay in Britain 6 months, take a ferry to France and stay 90 days and then go back to GB for another 6 months--rinse repeat?
No.

If you want to move to the UK, get a visa. I wouldn't even advise you to seek citizenship in another EU country to attempt to settle in the UK at this point since I'm not sure what your rights would be now that Brexit has happened.

Getting a visa to live in the UK is incredibly difficult if you don't have a close family relationship with a British person or a job lined up there. Even if you do get a job there, the offer can be rescinded if the company loses patience with the work visa process (which can be long). There are a few other categories but most Americans would not qualify. If you have Irish ancestry you could try that route but the circumstances are very specific.

If you were an Asian, African, or Middle Eastern migrant and showed up there illegally hanging off a train you jumped on in Sangatte, you'd have a better chance of staying than you would as an English-speaking American with actual skills.

Old 10-19-2017, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post

If you were an Asian, African, or Middle Eastern migrant and showed up there illegally hanging off a train you jumped on in Sangatte, you'd have a better chance of staying than you would as an English-speaking American with actual skills.
I believe you. I don't even have a skill I'm a retired American. I have Irish and British ancestry but it end at my great great grandparents and I recall inquiring about this once before. The rep said it cuts off at my grandparents who were both born here in America. oh well.

Old 10-20-2017, 09:48 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 932,666 times
UK border control is run by a bunch of dicks....especially if you are young and traveling solo.

I believe the next time I visit the UK, the border control might give me a hard time on why I did not receive an exit stamp when leaving the UK for US by ship (QM2).

@BigDGeek: I beg to differ.

Most are descendants of immigrants who immigrated there years ago in the big cities and thus were able to get UK citizenship or legal status. If anything, I always wondered how they can stand dealing with the constant passive aggressiveness of sour puss ethnic Brits giving them ethnic/racial slurs (been called a Paki, sand rat, and whatnot despite being Latin American)!

Old 10-25-2017, 09:08 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,166 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post

UK border control is run by a bunch of dicks....especially if you are young and traveling solo.
The US has some of the harshest border control in the Western World.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF

I believe the next time I visit the UK, the border control might give me a hard time on why I did not receive an exit stamp when leaving the UK for US by ship (QM2).
They don't stamp passports anymore they just scan your passport, as most passports are now electronic with biometric chips.

Biometric passport - Wikipedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF

@BigDGeek: I beg to differ.

Most are descendants of immigrants who immigrated there years ago in the big cities and thus were able to get UK citizenship or legal status. If anything, I always wondered how they can stand dealing with the constant passive aggressiveness of sour puss ethnic Brits giving them ethnic/racial slurs (been called a Paki, sand rat, and whatnot despite being Latin American)!
If you clearly don't like the British, why come and post your ignorant and inaccurate comments here.

Old 10-25-2017, 11:29 AM

490 posts, read 682,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
So true.

It's exactly the same in the other direction (UK to USA). Hard to explain, other than our politicians are congenitally stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom