Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2017, 06:28 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

Give your cash directly and unconditionally to homeless people.

Don’t just buy them a sandwich from Pret. They’re not four. They have the right to spend their money as they choose – and it is their money, once given. Don’t just give to people performing, singing, or accompanied by a cute dog. Buskers deserve a wage too, of course.

https://www.newstatesman.com/politic...omeless-people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2017, 05:16 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 2 days ago)

27,176 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

Don’t just buy them a sandwich from Pret. They’re not four. They have the right to spend their money as they choose – and it is their money, once given. Don’t just give to people performing, singing, or accompanied by a cute dog. Buskers deserve a wage too, of course.

Not sure why some one from the US would post such a thread.

As for the article he seems to suggest that grassroots charities do good work, yet claims we should give money to the homeless themselves rather than such charities.

There are plenty of good charities that help homeless people such as Shelter and Centre Point and there funding is just as important, and hostels also need funding.

Centrepoint Homeless Services - Give Them A Future. Donate Now‎

Shelter - Charity

There are also numerous empty properties in London including council property that is left empty and could be put to better use.

Old 11-02-2017, 06:12 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

Nonsense.
There isn't a single reason why anyone in the UK should be homeless unless it is through their own choice.There are adequate official safety nets in place to prevent such a thing happening and have been for decades.
Why give money to a total stranger to often feed what is an addiction to either alcohol or drugs.
As for buskers no-one " deserves " a wage.
But if they're good I might bung them a quid or two.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:34 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
Um I'm not supporting some one's drug or alcohol habit with my hard earned money thank you. I will feed them, but I won't give them money.

Old 11-02-2017, 01:12 PM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe Conkling View Post
Nonsense.
There isn't a single reason why anyone in the UK should be homeless unless it is through their own choice.There are adequate official safety nets in place to prevent such a thing happening and have been for decades.
Why give money to a total stranger to often feed what is an addiction to either alcohol or drugs.
As for buskers no-one " deserves " a wage.
But if they're good I might bung them a quid or two.
Not according to this..... my son had to go round relatives houses for a couch while waiting two years for a council house when his marriage broke up... so dont tell me its out of choice.. Undercover: Britain's Homeless Scandal: Channel 4 Dispatches - Channel 4 - Info - Press

Old 11-03-2017, 02:41 AM

1,889 posts, read 1,324,592 times
Charity is a great thing, but I think it's a bit silly to instruct the public to forego discretion and assume good faith on the part of any homeless person you meet on the streets, and assume that they will always spend it on things that are good for them.

Old 11-03-2017, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Not according to this..... my son had to go round relatives houses for a couch while waiting two years for a council house when his marriage broke up... so dont tell me its out of choice.. Undercover: Britain's Homeless Scandal: Channel 4 Dispatches - Channel 4 - Info - Press
Ah,the old sense of entitlement.I want something so I deserve to have it right now.
Councils have had waiting lists for their properties since council houses were first built.
Lately they've got even longer thanks to open-ended immigration which means planning for them is almost impossible.
But two years on relative's couches ? Pull the other one.

Old 11-03-2017, 06:05 AM

308 posts, read 237,602 times
Possibly a bi off topic but i was in London 3rd week of October and down the Strand almost all the beggars were Romanian.I can understand anyone coming here to work, but why stay where you havent even got a roof over your head ??

Old 11-03-2017, 06:23 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Loves Dogs View Post
Possibly a bi off topic but i was in London 3rd week of October and down the Strand almost all the beggars were Romanian.I can understand anyone coming here to work, but why stay where you havent even got a roof over your head ??
surely you dont believe that one.... they have old grannies out begging and banging on guitars badly for them.. while they sit in their cosy homes..

Old 11-03-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Loves Dogs View Post
Roma beggars have been a nuisance on streets across Europe even before their country was admitted to the EU.
They account for a huge amount of crime compared to their actual numbers.
In Germany the crime rate among migrants in Germany rose by more than 50 per cent last year and today figures were released showing 30,000 failed asylum seekers in that country had simply disappeared.
In London, they camp out at night around London's Marble Arch and use the surrounding area as an open toilet.
Across the country almost a fifth of those believed responsible for the worst crimes last year were born outside the UK.
But in parts of England and Wales with high immigration levels, the proportion rises to 50 per cent or more.
However, in areas largely unaffected by immigration, such as Cumbria and North Wales, no one charged with rape or murder was born overseas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom