Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 02:32 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Cheese melts have to be the Australian default meal! I will try it with baked beans.
Love English breakfast. On our recent US trip I would search for mushrooms, grilled tomatoes and baked beans and avocado on the breakfast buffets, usually without success. Americans seem to be such sweet tooths!
Weird.

Being back in the UK after a 20 year gap in the US, I find the opposite. The amount of sweets, candy, cakes and desserts people eat is just outrageous. Of the two countries I'd say the UK has the sweeter tooth.

Old 07-02-2018, 02:33 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
Cheese melts have to be the Australian default meal! I will try it with baked beans.
Love English breakfast. On our recent US trip I would search for mushrooms, grilled tomatoes and baked beans and avocado on the breakfast buffets, usually without success. Americans seem to be such sweet tooths!
You might find less sweet items on a brunch buffet. I don't care for sweet things in the morning. If I have leftovers from the previous night, that's breakfast. In fact, I sometimes do eggs at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 04:05 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,308,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Weird.

Being back in the UK after a 20 year gap in the US, I find the opposite. The amount of sweets, candy, cakes and desserts people eat is just outrageous. Of the two countries I'd say the UK has the sweeter tooth.
To be honest, when we were the last few times in the UK we mostly stayed with family who were living there. So did not go to breakfast buffets. I think Italy tops them both with sweet food, yet the obesity rate is way lower. But in all our Anglo countries there is too much sweet food.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:22 AM

20 posts, read 15,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeana View Post
1. Is tea and crumpets really as popular in England as the stereotype? If someone were to say they didn't like to tea would people look at them like they were an Alien?

2. I have never been to England, but I had a friend that went there for two weeks, she said that while the tea and crumpets were as good as they say, she said she found the food quite bland and lacking flavor. At least in regards to the meat she ate. Do you think she just didn't go to the right places, or is the meat and flavor much different than in the U.S?

The food is very, very bland. Generally there's not a sophisticated taste for flavour. London is different, but it's not really indicative of the country (same as New York City isn't of the USA). I find nice, tasty food hard to find, so cook at home instead. Strangely it saves money that way!
Having had a couple of dinner gatherings at mine, I've discovered that my workmates were manfully eating dinner and going red, sweating and generally not used to the flavour. All I used for spice was paprkia and white pepper, and those were "too hot".

Old 07-02-2018, 04:45 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,275,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanrenewal View Post
The food is very, very bland. Generally there's not a sophisticated taste for flavour. London is different, but it's not really indicative of the country (same as New York City isn't of the USA). I find nice, tasty food hard to find, so cook at home instead. Strangely it saves money that way!
Having had a couple of dinner gatherings at mine, I've discovered that my workmates were manfully eating dinner and going red, sweating and generally not used to the flavour. All I used for spice was paprkia and white pepper, and those were "too hot".
You saying Brits can't handle heat?

I was in India, and they were concerned about what I ordered (since I was coming from Seattle). Right up until they found out I was a Brit. Of the food we ate, they were the ones who were running more scared of heat than I was.

That isn't just me, but loads of people in the UK I know, not to the point I like hot (but with flavor not just heat) like getting my Carolina Reaper eater certificate (from a chili eating contest). But most can do Phals and Vindaloos, and I've made Chili that made my US neighbor scream in agony the following day (right up until I told him the toilet paper in the freezer trick, and the benefits of natural yogurt as a coolant).

Certainly no one I know (including my 95 year old great aunt) is going to be sweating on straight paprika or white pepper (unless it's purely white pepper and nothing else). I call complete BS.

Indian/Punjabi/Pakistani is almost the primary cuisine in the UK.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:59 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,602,806 times
I think your all talking about what Brits eat when they eat out, its not the same as what they eat at home.
I generally don't eat out and the only take away I like is fish and chips.
at home we eat pork, beef, chicken and when we can get it goat.
roasts, stews and casseroles with cauliflower, broccoli, broad beans and peas and potatoes.

Old 07-02-2018, 05:11 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,623 times
What is the preferred way of eating Lamb / Sheep/ Mutton in UK?

I am not talking about Indian Takeaway Rogan Josh or Kebab.

How will British Families prepare Lamb in their kitchen ??

Old 07-02-2018, 05:47 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,689,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Weird.

Very True. The typical cornershop (Newsagent) or the Cinema Halls are so full of sweets / Candy.

Old 07-02-2018, 06:30 AM

1,150 posts, read 1,107,664 times
I season Welsh-Lamb with salt ( fair amount). pepper and Rosemary from the garden, pan fry and then wrap in foil ( adding sprigs of Rosemary then). Cook for 45 mins, then open up foil and cook for 20mins with a dollop of olive oil.

Went for another great rural pub this Sunday in Burnham, food in the UK is mostly good, but seasoning is key

Old 07-02-2018, 06:33 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
What is the preferred way of eating Lamb / Sheep/ Mutton in UK?

I am not talking about Indian Takeaway Rogan Josh or Kebab.

How will British Families prepare Lamb in their kitchen ??
We like leg of lamb roasted in the oven, and lamb chops grilled. Minced lamb for Moussaka, and neck chops for stews.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom