Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 03:09 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,233,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannybannany View Post
Aw, c'mon, get off it! With the dollar being so w-e-a-k, why should you rich Brits care?
Even if I was a millionaire I'd still be interested in the difference between the two different cultures where things like tipping are concerned, I think you're missing the point.

And rich???!?!?!?!?! I ****ing wish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 07:26 AM

493 posts, read 1,762,487 times
The dollar may be weak but Brits still live in a very expensive country. I was at the gas station last week and it cost about $55 to fill up my car. When I left the UK six months ago it cost £65 to fill up my car there which was about the same size etc to my vehicle here.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:10 AM
RH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotx View Post
The dollar may be weak but Brits still live in a very expensive country. I was at the gas station last week and it cost about $55 to fill up my car. When I left the UK six months ago it cost £65 to fill up my car there which was about the same size etc to my vehicle here.
Yeah petrol prices have gone bonkers in the last year or so. It's gone well over the £1 mark per litre right across the country now - quite depressing to see the volume going up more slowly than the price.

Good thing we don't have to tip the cashier.

Note: out of curiosity I just worked out how much petrol is here now in $ per gallon.
Unless I've got something horribly wrong, I reckon the cheapest is about $9.50.

Last edited by RH1; 03-26-2008 at 09:25 AM.. Reason: Added in stat about petrol in $$

Old 03-30-2008, 12:22 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,748,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
Yeah petrol prices have gone bonkers in the last year or so. It's gone well over the £1 mark per litre right across the country now - quite depressing to see the volume going up more slowly than the price.

Good thing we don't have to tip the cashier.

Note: out of curiosity I just worked out how much petrol is here now in $ per gallon.
Unless I've got something horribly wrong, I reckon the cheapest is about $9.50.
Are you kidding--$9.50 a gallon? Holy moley! We're flying to London at the end of June and driving all over England, Scotland, and then to the continent (France, Belgium, and Italy) and back to England until the beginning of August. I hope those little Brit cars get really good gas mileage!

Old 03-30-2008, 08:48 PM

732 posts, read 4,157,380 times
Tip your fellow UPS driver thats makes $28 an hour.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:24 AM
RH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnix View Post
Tip your fellow UPS driver thats makes $28 an hour.
More than me mate!

Old 03-31-2008, 02:07 PM

521 posts, read 1,473,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Are you kidding--$9.50 a gallon? Holy moley! We're flying to London at the end of June and driving all over England, Scotland, and then to the continent (France, Belgium, and Italy) and back to England until the beginning of August. I hope those little Brit cars get really good gas mileage!
It's bad but not quite that bad. UK gallon & US gallon are slightly different -

UK gallon = 4.546 litres
US gallon = 3.785 litres

So, petrol by me is £1.05 per litre which would equate to about £4 per US gallon - use your own dollar/pound conversion but about $8. Drive slowly!

p.s. petrol in France is cheaper (much less tax) so be sure to fill up on your way back

Last edited by Yorkie Bar; 03-31-2008 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 04-01-2008, 03:38 AM
RH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie Bar View Post
It's bad but not quite that bad. UK gallon & US gallon are slightly different -

UK gallon = 4.546 litres
US gallon = 3.785 litres
Really? Well I didn't know that, thanks for clearing it up! It's still pretty pricey here though isn't it?

Old 04-01-2008, 07:30 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
I have no problem tipping someone who has given me good / great service.

As for tipping a bartender? YOU BET! I get my libation the way I want it - and not watered down - and usually the bartender will use the best booze - not the cheap stuff!

In Las Vegas - we tip a lot. Food servers, to bellmen, to the kid who parks my car. If I want a better seat at a show - tip the person at the door -

Old 04-01-2008, 07:46 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,058,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
Really? Well I didn't know that, thanks for clearing it up! It's still pretty pricey here though isn't it?
Petrol isn't that expensive in the UK - but the tax is!!!

About 70% of the price at the pump is fuel tax and VAT (VAT is charged on the fuel tax = tax on tax).

The Tories brought in a 'fuel escalator' tax in 1993, partly to discourage car use, partly just to raise taxes without putting it on income. It all goes into the general revenue pot (health, schools, defence etc.) but a lot of it gets spent on roads, apparently.

Fuel Tax - PetrolPrices.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom