Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2017, 10:15 AM

2,218 posts, read 2,939,331 times

Advertisements

I will be traveling to the Egham/Ottershaw area from the US to attend a wedding and had a few questions.

Is the Great Fosters a nice place to stay? Is airplane noise really bad? We also looked at Foxhills Resort but it just didn't seem as nice as Great Fosters.

Are there enough gluten free options at restaurants in the area? I was just recently diagnosed with Celiac Disease so I must eat gluten free.

How difficult do you think it would be for an American to adapt to driving (on the left with steering wheel on right) plus all the other differences. I really would prefer to have my own car so I can come and go easily.

What is the weather like in the month of April?

I am not really a city person so if I go to London it would only be for a brief visit. Are there nice places to visit around the area I will be in (Egham/Ottershaw)? I love picturesque places, gardens, old buildings, countrysides, etc..

I think that is all the questions I have for now. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 12:35 PM

1,021 posts, read 2,907,920 times
Windsor Castle and Kew Gardens would be at the top of my list followed by a boat trip down the Thames to Greenwich. Just don't attempt to drive into central London. Go to the nearest railway station and take the train! April weather is unpredictable - could be warm or could be snowing - be prepared for either. Can't answer your other questions but I'm sure someone will do so.

If you hire a car and you don't explicitly state you want an automatic you won't get one - you will get a stick-shift!

Last edited by Brontosaurus; 11-25-2017 at 12:44 PM.. Reason: additional note

Old 11-30-2017, 03:56 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
There is an American school and community in Egham, there are also a wide variety of restaurants in the area if you are willing to get the train to Staines, Twickenham, Richmond or Putney (or central London). If you hire a car then there are plenty of options nearby.

Weather in April on average is around 60f, usually dry and partly cloudy but you can expect the occasional rainy day maybe a couple of times per week. Might get a cold and windy day around 50, or a sunny 75.

Old 12-02-2017, 08:45 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,595,401 times
There's also the JFK memorial in Runnymede where you have a good view of London.

Old 12-03-2017, 03:06 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,588,488 times
April is generally a very good time to visit.

I've never stayed at Great Fosters or Foxhills but I've been to both several times for various events. They both have impressive buildings and grounds but I would not choose to stay in either, except as directly related to the wedding. Too isolated (and not country feeling either). Would rather be located where I can more easily walk to pubs/restaurants. These are big old estates turned into wedding and event/meeting venues.

Driving depends on your overall skill. for most, it's not too bad an adjustment but in addition to driving on the other side, you need to contend with driving in much tighter and more congested areas (even in small villages) than most people encounter in the States and be aware of the different driving rules, how to use roundabouts, etc. I suggest an automatic so you won't have that to worry about that as well (shifting with your left hand, etc). Driving can be a pain compared to the US for many reasons but from where you will be, being without a car can be a big disadvantage, particularly as you are not planning to just aim for London.

The surrounding areas are well-off commuter towns/villages for London - Sunningdale, sunninghill, Virginia Water, Ascot, Weybridge, etc.

Windsor Great Park (including Savill Garden) - this place is massive so you need a plan of attack - e.g. Virginia Water, Savill, Long Walk which leads to Windsor Castle, etc)

There are loads of things to do in this area so some ideas of what you like to do would be helpful - there are places to walk, beautiful gardens, historic estates, probably the greatest concentration of amusement parks outside of Florida, a waterskiing complex, golf all over (e.g. Wentworth in Virginia Water), history, horse riding, horse racing, Hampton Court Palace, Wimbledon tennis complex/museum, Thames Path, etc.

UK has got better about awareness of dietary needs but it can be hit or miss with restaurant staff often much less helpful and aware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom