Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of Harry and Meghan's engagement?
Good choice. I wish them every happiness. 15 55.56%
What is he thinking? She's a shallow Hollywood type. 7 25.93%
I wish them well, but am not holding my breath. 5 18.52%
Diana would have steered him clear of this bounder. 2 7.41%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2017, 07:33 PM

7,363 posts, read 8,394,325 times

Advertisements

Why do people give a **** about these things?

Old 11-27-2017, 07:43 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,264,045 times
Default Who cares?

Who cares, in the end. My unsolicited opinion is in the form of a question... Is that the best he can do? I expected better from the so-called "playboy". I would not call her a Skank, but she probably has a cousin... 'just saying.

Old 11-27-2017, 08:36 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Meghan Markle is shallow?

Meghan Markle: Who is Prince Harry's bride-to-be?

Quote:
"With fame comes opportunity," Markle wrote in a column for Elle UK in November 2016, "but it also includes responsibility -- to advocate and share, to focus less on glass slippers and more on pushing through glass ceilings."

In 2016, she became a global ambassador for World Vision and traveled to Rwanda to see the impact of the charity's clean water initiatives.

Later that year, she wrote about how childhood experiences had helped develop her "social consciousness."
"My parents came from little so they made a choice to give a lot," she wrote. "Buying turkeys for homeless shelters at Thanksgiving, delivering meals to people in hospices, giving spare change to those asking for it. It's what I grew up seeing, so it's what I grew up being: a young adult with a social consciousness to do what I could and speak up when I knew something was wrong."
What’s shallow about that?

Old 11-27-2017, 08:48 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Harry is such a cutie and it’s delightful news. I don’t really follow their relationship but according to what I’ve read Meghan seems real cool. She’s got her own career and does quite a lot of valid charity work, which is way more than what you can say about most people.

Those who keep saying “why do people care about this?” and whatnot need to chill the **** out and realise that people talk about other people, especially celebrities, and those who really don’t care wouldn’t even bother replying to a topic like this.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:21 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
You forgot to mention mixed-race. I'm sure you're thinking it.
You are wrong. I didn't say anything about her race, because it's a non-issue for me. There are a number of mixed-race and interracial relationships among European nobility, and there have been for quite some time. The fact that this woman is divorced and is a celebrity actress are the key problems. The Windsors do not respect their constitutional role in the Commonwealth realms, and the importance of representing an ideal. No one expects them to be perfect, but moves like this are why respect for them has eroded so substantially.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:24 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,435,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
You are wrong. I didn't say anything about her race, because it's a non-issue for me. There are a number of mixed-race and interracial relationships among European nobility, and there have been for quite some time. The fact that this woman is divorced and is a celebrity actress are the key problems. The Windsors do not respect their constitutional role in the Commonwealth realms, and the importance of representing an ideal. No one expects them to be perfect, but moves like this are why respect for them has eroded so substantially.
Yeah because divorcées and celebrities are subhumans. We get it.

Crawl back to your hole and never come out again, please.

Old 11-27-2017, 09:44 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,050,291 times
Quote:
How surprising, since it dovetails so well into the rest of your intolerable narrative.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:09 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Yeah because divorcées and celebrities are subhumans. We get it.

Crawl back to your hole and never come out again, please.
Do you understand that these people are part of a family that leads more than a dozen nations and a church, a church that is well-known for its hardline against divorce? These are not the Joneses from Kettering. These are the Windsors. My comments must not be too intolerable, because they're getting a lot of reputation points. My comments are historically on point. A divorced woman is why Queen Elizabeth II is the monarch today.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:59 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Quote:
Do you understand that these people are part of a family that leads more than a dozen nations and a church, a church that is well-known for its hardline against divorce? These are not the Joneses from Kettering. These are the Windsors. My comments must not be too intolerable, because they're getting a lot of reputation points. My comments are historically on point. A divorced woman is why Queen Elizabeth II is the monarch today.
Another good point!

It's ridiculous that so many come on to a thread to say how apathetic they are about a subject. Obviously they care enough to post. Instead, we've got to have bullies crawl out of their holes to spew hostility because others are having a discussion that makes them uncomfortable.

Personally, I don't care about who marries or divorces. Interesting to many however that the Queen may have changed due to the breakdown of the royal family's behavior the last several decades while genuine values are timeless. It shows hypocrisy and expediency to ditch the values they claimed were so important to them in the past.

Imo the main reason it could be a mistake is Hollywood style ambitions of the bride. For those living their lives awake, it's not difficult to see how someone like Markle may have built a media image to capture the attention she wanted. She may or may not be anything like the person she portrays publicly. She is, after all, an actress. If she is the shallow, fake type at some point Harry will see her for what she really is and may find marrying her could be the worst mistake of his life. If she delivers and is everything she portrays herself as, fine and dandy. They just might make it.

As for children, he's 33 and she's 36. Fertility declines at 35 for everyone, as we all know, especially for women. If Harry badly wants children, he should marry younger, not older, to improve likelihood and the health of any children.

I wonder if he's chosen Meghan because she's probably much different from his usual candidates for marriage. Differences can be fun at first, but wearing later. They're a pretty shallow reason to marry if it's for the novelty factor. Harry lives in an ivory tower. He doesn't know what a marriage will do to his life and probably has no one around who would tell him he's making a mistake, if they can foresee with close knowledge that he is. Good luck to them.

Old 11-27-2017, 11:59 PM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,546 times
Quote:
I agree with you. It’s not just some random couple getting together. It’s a position of honor for their church and country and I do think they are slighting the positions respect and authority. Traditions can be a good thing to have and it’s sad to see them diminishing this. At least that is my perspective. Anyway, the Royal family became a joke well before this. Harry is an absolute embarrassment and if it wasn’t for the wealth and fame, I guarantee he would have left long ago. How the British monarchy has fallen in such a short time is amazing. They should attempt to bring back some prestige to the office and kick Harry out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom