Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2017, 02:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,410 times

Advertisements

I've recently changed a bed in a house I'm renting and I can't throw away an old mattress because it belongs to my landlord and there's no space to store it anywhere either. My housemates came up with an idea to put it in a living room and cover with blankets and pillow so it's just an extra seating space. But then we were told it's illegal cos it looks like someone sleeps there and our agency can get fine.
Is it actually true or just another agency's fuss?
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2017, 03:08 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,232,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnk View Post
I've recently changed a bed in a house I'm renting and I can't throw away an old mattress because it belongs to my landlord and there's no space to store it anywhere either. My housemates came up with an idea to put it in a living room and cover with blankets and pillow so it's just an extra seating space. But then we were told it's illegal cos it looks like someone sleeps there and our agency can get fine.
Is it actually true or just another agency's fuss?
Possibly true, plausible certainly. If there's a housing inspection, there may appear to be one additional sleeping room and no living room. If there's a discrepancy in the properties stated description and occupancy and it's inspected it can cause issues, and possibly costs incurred to the agency/LL.

If your agency knows about it tell 'em to shift it or get the owner to shift it, or get written approval to dispose of it. If you trash it (LOL good luck with that if it's anything like my experience of laughingly described furnished) or appear to trash it, then you could be on the hook for replacement of it anyway.

Old 11-29-2017, 10:59 AM

308 posts, read 235,090 times
Ring the landlord ask him what he wants done with it.If you dont know how to get hold of him get the agency to do it.These letting agencies get stacks of money for very little.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:15 PM

4,092 posts, read 3,668,823 times
Oh please, as long as you advise the agency that is what you're going to do just do it. A fine for having a mattress in the living room!?! What has this country come to. Alternatively just have it upright or on the side and pop it behind the sofa.

Old 12-05-2017, 12:33 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,232,174 times
I'm sure the agent/LL couldn't care less whether the tenant gets fined. Their concern is receiving a fine under HHSRS or regulated tenancy violations.

If you own your home you can have a fully functional built in bondage dungeon in your living room with wall racks for toys, and a mattress and be just fine. But I suspect that's not going to fly too well in a rental.

Old 12-14-2017, 11:06 PM

1,288 posts, read 3,311,573 times
Is it just a mattress or a whole bed including in the base? If it's on the inventory it will need to be there when you leave, unless you leave it behind by arrangement with the landlord. Do you plan to take it with you to your next rented property? At which point you will encounter the same issue.

Old 12-17-2017, 11:20 AM

5,238 posts, read 4,020,164 times
I saw a mattress dumped on the corner of a street, the other day. Typical of Valley life.

But on the other hand, I think the Council charge about £15 to pick them up! So, no wonder people go dumping them anywhere.

Everyone pays enough in Council Tax already. Then the Council moan about fly-tipping, when they try to charge you again for taking larger items.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom