Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 04:27 AM

16 posts, read 19,952 times

Advertisements

Hi, and thanks in advance! My family and I will be in the UK this summer and want to go to or see something other than London. We've been to London and love it! We'd like to see something different this summer though. We will be there about 5-6 days and will be flying into London and are a little flexible where we will fly out (but likely also London).
About us: We're a family with teenagers.
Our priorities are food, enjoying the outdoors, water, interesting location/history, easy going vacation.
Again, thanks for any help or advice you have for us !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2018, 12:18 PM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobolio View Post
Hi, and thanks in advance! My family and I will be in the UK this summer and want to go to or see something other than London. We've been to London and love it! We'd like to see something different this summer though. We will be there about 5-6 days and will be flying into London and are a little flexible where we will fly out (but likely also London).
About us: We're a family with teenagers.
Our priorities are food, enjoying the outdoors, water, interesting location/history, easy going vacation.
Again, thanks for any help or advice you have for us !
Cornwall is lovely and many places to visit..

Old 01-08-2018, 01:57 PM

Thank you for your response. I will look into Cornwall. Is there anything in particular that makes Cornwall a place of interest you'd recommend?

Old 01-08-2018, 02:32 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Watch "Poldark" (on PBS), set and largely filmed in Cornwall, for views of the spectacular coastline and its turquoise waters.

Cornwall is very popular with British holiday-makers, so accommodations may be in high demand during the summer.

For wonderful areas closer to London, try the Cotswolds, or perhaps the prehistoric sites of Wiltshire. Bath is also a great choice and easily accessible by train.

Old 01-08-2018, 02:51 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Have heard good things about Bath

There is a Jane Austen festival there , depending upon your timing and teen's interest. Plus lots of regular neat stuff according to friends who have visited

Old 01-08-2018, 03:18 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Cornwall is lovely and many places to visit..
I second Cornwall--I am in love with it. Anywhere along the coast but it's easier to find a place to stay if you head inland. There are palm trees, turquoise waters, sidewalk cafes, great food like Cornish pasties. We liked Minehead for shopping, hotels, and beach. It's near Exmoor which is very scenic and probably good for hiking. There are said to be wild horses there! We drove along the beautiful coast until we reached Lands End, stopping to get out and look around and take pictures along the way.

We didn't do much except sight seeing and picture taking--the scenery was exquisite. Food was out of this world at the pubs and hotels. We drove east again along the south coast of Cornwall and that was breath taking too.

There are lots of good pubs and quaint inns to stay in although mostly, due to tourist crowds (this was in Sept) we had to head inland quite often. It would be different if you made advance reservations but we like to just go wherever the spirit moves us.

Old 01-10-2018, 05:53 AM

Thank you all so much for your replies and ideas. Cornwall is looking like our place!

Old 01-10-2018, 06:48 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,427,156 times
Much more to Cornwall than beaches and cliffs.

First off there's Lands End, the most southerly point in England, Right around the corner from there is the Marconi Station. While in this area don't forget to grab a pasty from Ann's, Yummy !!

Close by is the Minack Theatre at Porthcurno, built by Rowena Cade it is not only a great location for summer plays but interesting to visit.

St.Ives (pronounced Saint Eye-ves) is home to the Tate gallery.

Around Cornwall you will find ancient standing stones, one of the most famous is Men-An-Tol

The Eden Project is a series of Eco-domes housing rare plants from around this world, founded by Tim Smit, it is quite a spectacle and a very interesting day out.

Add to this various Tin Mines and Cornwall is a great place to visit.

St. Michaels mount near Marizion is a good day trip but watch those tides !

Links:
https://www.landsend-landmark.co.uk
https://www.annspasties.co.uk
https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/fea...-on-the-lizard
https://www.minack.com
Tate St Ives | Tate
https://www.cornwalls.co.uk/history/...men_an_tol.htm
Top eco visitor attraction - rainforest, gardens & educational charity - Eden Project Cornwall UK
https://www.stmichaelsmount.co.uk

You might have guessed I'm just a tad partial to Cornwall, my family hails from Sennen and Penzance so we spent many wonderful summers there. Lots of hiking and biking, beaches are fab ! one of my favourites is Kynance Cove near the Lizard. Ann of the pasty shop is a distant relative and I worked with Tim Smit when the Eden Project was being developed.

Roads in Cornwall can be narrow but with care its very drivable, the train runs from London to Penzance daily and public transport is everywhere.

Enjoy !!!!

Old 01-10-2018, 06:10 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,065,457 times
Just to toss out another suggestion or two...you can base yourself near Canterbury, which is touristy but lovely. From there you can visit Dover Castle and the white cliffs of Dover, and even cross the channel into France. Stonehenge is not too far and neither is Osborne House.

The Cotswalds are picture perfect England. You cannot go wrong with any of the popular towns, but I know there wouldn't be as much for my teens to enjoy (better for couples IMO).

I wasn't super thrilled by Bath, I'm sorry to say. It was really crowded.

Have a lovely trip!

Old 01-12-2018, 01:07 AM

30 posts, read 31,255 times
Until a few years ago I'd have suggested going to see a fox hunt in action, for a real taste of traditional English country life.

Now, though, they're banned –*and on some legitimate grounds, I must admit, as they were rather gruesome.

There are similar alternatives, though –*for example, you could look into dogging, which takes place in some of the countryside areas adjacent to London and other major towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom