U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 11:04 PM

3,368 posts, read 7,363,964 times

Advertisements

Try and go to the Houses of Parliament, the tours are fab and the public galleries well worth a visit. Not sure what is open/closed to non-UK residents tho....

UK Parliament - Summer Opening

It is an amazing slice of living history. I love Simon Hoggart's description, in The Guardian;
"...the Royal Gallery in the Lords.....is bling on a mega scale. The gold, scarlet leather, stained glass and gilt statuary - it is a mad Victorian's idea of what a medieval castle looked like, and it makes parts of Versailles resemble something knocked up by Mies van der Rohe." !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2008, 02:40 AM

119 posts, read 364,122 times
Default Kew Gardens

Take a cab or the South West train to Kew Gardens. Also known as The Royal Botanical Gardens, this paradise is not to be missed. I do believe Britons are some of the most brilliant gardeners in the world. Kew Gardens promises to amaze, dazzel and leave you with permanent "jaw drop"!! London is an incredible city!

Old 03-27-2008, 03:07 AM

1,117 posts, read 1,743,963 times
Madame Tussaud's wax museum, worthy the admission price and the long lines!

Old 03-27-2008, 05:10 AM
RH1

1,161 posts, read 2,849,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warptman View Post
My bad, we're staying in Kengsinton area.
Ooh which hotel? I virtually lived in the Copthorne tara for quite a while - it's lovely.
Agree with what Southdown said. I used to wander up to the V&A a lot.

Kensington gardens to Hyde Park is nice for a walk too. I went for a run in there one evening, got lost and came out on Bayswater Road/ Notting Hill Gate. There are some fantastic record shops along there.

Also for eating, if you like Thai food the Churchill arms near the top of Kensington Church street has a brilliant and reasonably priced Thai restaurant out the back - it's like a traditional English pub with a random Thai place stuck on the back! But there are an amazing variety of restaurants around there so you'll be spoilt for choice.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:52 AM

648 posts, read 1,897,582 times
Don't forget the Tower of London.

Old 03-27-2008, 08:38 AM

19 posts, read 65,502 times
Quote:
I'm going to Europe for three weeks for a cross cultural class and we're going to be in London for three days. Any suggestions if we wanted to wander out on our own? Where to avoid and so on. Thanks.
Anywhere in central London should be fine - As in any big city be careful late at night. Go for the west end and theatre land and for a stroll try Green Park near victoria station which can be great when the sun is out. Most cabbies are very helpful. An open top bus tour on your first day can also be a very good way a seeing London at no risk. Have a good time!

Old 03-27-2008, 09:18 AM

21,040 posts, read 22,816,488 times
That is one of the first things we're doing, a Hop On/Hop Off tour. I'm thinking three days isn't going to be long enough for what the city has to offer. I'm looking forward to it after all the replies, thank you very much!

Old 03-27-2008, 10:15 AM

21,040 posts, read 22,816,488 times
Is the London Eye worth the price and the half hour it takes to go on?

Old 03-27-2008, 10:21 AM
RH1

1,161 posts, read 2,849,498 times
Quote:
Is the London Eye worth the price and the half hour it takes to go on?
If you've only got 3 days I reckon there are better things to do with your time really. It's OK, but like you say there is a lot of waiting around to get on, and you might be thinking about the number of other things you could be doing instead of getting a nice view of a bit of river and lots of people's coats.

Old 03-27-2008, 10:48 AM

3,368 posts, read 7,363,964 times
Quote:
That is one of the first things we're doing, a Hop On/Hop Off tour. I'm thinking three days isn't going to be long enough for what the city has to offer. I'm looking forward to it after all the replies, thank you very much!
Ride the regular buses!!!

If you get an all-day pass for the whole of London you can hop on and off the regular buses too, as well as the tube, plus it's much cheaper. 1 and 3 Day tickets | Transport for London (http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/1055.aspx - broken link) or What is Oyster? | Transport for London

Two of the routes (No's 9 & 15) have the beautiful old Routemaster buses, my grandfather was a London bus driver (and inspector) so I am very fond of them!

They travel the sightseeing and shopping routes, so are really useful (and a bit less touristy), see...

London Buses route 9 (Heritage) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

London Buses route 15 (Heritage) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom