Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2018, 07:03 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Gentlearts hasn't actually been to the UK.
I beg your pardon? I just got back from there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 08:52 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Hmmmmm, I'm not sure on that one. I know when we went in our local Aldi recently,they had a full aisle of Mexican type foods. I had never seen anything like that before. Everything from food to tequila. They wouldn't do that unless there was a demand.

Yet, we have very little in Mexican take outs in England. Lots of Chinese, Indian, pizza, McDonald's, Pizza Hut, Burger King, KFC........ but hardly any things like Taco Bell. I have never seen a Taco Bell in England, or anything like that sort of thing. Yet, Aldi is pushing Mexican type foods in a special week.

Maybe they're trying to create a demand - who knows? The big stores like ASDA and Tesco have been pushing Halloween for many years now. This very American celebration did not exist here at all. Then, about 20 years ago, the big stores started pushing pumpkins, and outfits for kids. This worked, and eventually we had kids celebrating Halloween, and the stores make a bundle selling all the stuff that goes with it. It's not in the same scale as America yet though.

Same with 'Black Friday.' Didn't exist at all here until a couple of years ago. ASDA had a couple of near riots, which has cut it back a little. Folks in England had never seen anything like it before! Low grade folks scrambling over cheap telly's. It's just not British to behave in such a way. We can do without this sort of thing.
I had a bit of time this afternoon to google about the Mexican line of products that you saw. I found a newspaper article that said that they are introducing a Mexican line that duplicates Old El Paso, in the UK. My guess is that they're getting it from Old El Paso. They do that sort of thing in the US. They get products from a lot of big name manufacturers & sell them with the Aldi names. They'll see how the stuff sells & what sells best where. If it goes over well enough, they'll either rotate the products into "Mexican weeks" or they'll make a little Mexican section in an aisle, probably the canned goods aisle.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:20 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Well, Aldi & Lidl rotate items in constantly, so what they carry, during the course of a year, far exceeds the size of the stores. They frequently will get something in on a weekly special that wouldn't be affordable at a regular supermarket. English Dave mentioned seeing Mexican week at Aldi. He said he'd never seen anything like it.

Aldi & Lidl can afford to take a chance to bring things in, for a week. If it sells well, you know if will be back.
Maybe they do, but nonetheless Tesco's, Sainsbury's or Asda have FAR more variety of foods than Aldi or Lidl, there are world food sections in Tesco's or Sainsbury's or Asda (always has been). We try and do as much of our shopping at Aldi as possible (its cheaper) but invariably need to stop off at one of the large superstores for certain items (usually herbs or spices or ingredients) that are simply not available at Aldi.

Old 06-05-2018, 02:21 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,024,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I beg your pardon? I just got back from there.
But everything you say about the place simply isn't true!

Old 06-05-2018, 03:01 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Maybe they do, but nonetheless Tesco's, Sainsbury's or Asda have FAR more variety of foods than Aldi or Lidl, there are world food sections in Tesco's or Sainsbury's or Asda (always has been). We try and do as much of our shopping at Aldi as possible (its cheaper) but invariably need to stop off at one of the large superstores for certain items (usually herbs or spices or ingredients) that are simply not available at Aldi.
I live between 2 towns that got some of the first Lidls in the US. I go to Aldi & Lidl first, That takes care of about 75% of my grocery shopping. I go to a regional supermarket for most of the rest & fill in with a Walmart Neighborhood Market (a smaller, grocery-only Walmart )

For your entertainment, as the Lidls opened, they & the corresponding Aldi were having what I called "egg wars". They were selling eggs for about 30 cents a dozen, give or take.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:27 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,601,746 times
you do realise Aldi and Lidl are not British companies and most of their food is imported from Europe?

Old 06-05-2018, 07:39 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times
Random food question:

Can anyone tell me if a stargazer pie is worth eating, or is it just one of those "when in Cornwall" things?

I'll be in Cornwall/Devon for two weeks starting next Tuesday - namely Penzance, Polperro, and Dartmoor. Very excited to try new dishes, though still unsure about a pie with fish heads poking up out of the crust. Lol.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:48 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
But everything you say about the place simply isn't true!
Like what? I made up the description of the mashed peas I had? I’m pretty sure it was on the ferry between Scotland and Ireland.

Old 06-05-2018, 07:57 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,601,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
Random food question:

Can anyone tell me if a stargazer pie is worth eating, or is it just one of those "when in Cornwall" things?

I'll be in Cornwall/Devon for two weeks starting next Tuesday - namely Penzance, Polperro, and Dartmoor. Very excited to try new dishes, though still unsure about a pie with fish heads poking up out of the crust. Lol.
just think of it as a fish pie, if you like fish then yes its worth eating.
i'm close to Dartmoor, where were you thinking of going?

Old 06-05-2018, 08:03 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,506,057 times
Fish pie isn't an American standard; I've never had it before. I have no idea what it's like.

We'll be spending a few days at the Two Bridges Hotel in Princetown. Very excited for this part of our itinerary!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom