Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2018, 09:17 AM

7,974 posts, read 7,349,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
Besides, Diana said it was Charles' remark about being disappointed Harry was born a ginger that really was the final straw in showing her how bad her marriage was. She was crushed by that remark.

Prior to Harry's birth, she was still clinging to hope.

So, I don't think she was looking elsewhere at the time.
Also, Charles was disappointed that Harry wasn't a girl, as he had hoped. I believe Charles is his father, no question.

I haven't yet watched the Royal Wedding...I was helping my daughter with a yard sale all weekend and had no time to look at TV. From what I've heard from co-workers today, they were shocked and disappointed (and some were already disgusted that a divorced television actress would be accepted into the Royal family). Did they REALLY sing "Stand By Me"???. I don't know what most of them were talking about...again, I haven't yet seen it. I just got the hint that it wasn't exactly what they expected after seeing Charles and Diana's and William and Kate's weddings. And, to be honest, many of them don't approve of bi-racial marriages. Definitely not in the Royal family. Another thing they were hashing about at work...there was a black minister talking about MLK in his sermon??? And guests making faces in the pews?

I'll have to watch it for myself this afternoon on YouTube.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 05-21-2018 at 09:31 AM..

Old 05-21-2018, 09:29 AM

5,444 posts, read 6,990,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
. And, to be honest, many of them don't approve of bi-racial marriages. Definitely not in the Royal family.
Truly sad that there are still people like this in the world.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:31 AM

1,320 posts, read 1,534,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
And the Archbishop suggested that they ask him to speak at the wedding. They knew what they were getting. The more interesting thing to me is that his style is in no way traditional Episcopalian. Yet he has risen to lead that denomination in the US. I'm still pondering that one.

Old 05-21-2018, 09:35 AM

1,267 posts, read 1,247,189 times
Quote:
Also, Charles was disappointed that Harry wasn't a girl, as he had hoped. I believe Charles is his father, no question.

I haven't yet watched the Royal Wedding...I was helping my daughter with a yard sale all weekend and had no time to look at TV. From what I've heard from co-workers today, they were shocked and disappointed (and some were already disgusted that a divorced television actress would be accepted into the Royal family). Did they REALLY sing "Stand By Me"???. I don't know what most of them were talking about...again, I haven't yet seen it. I just got the hint that it wasn't exactly what they expected after seeing Charles and Diana's and William and Kate's weddings. And, to be honest, many of them don't approve of bi-racial marriages. Definitely not in the Royal family. Another thing they were hashing about at work...there was a black minister talking about MLK in his sermon??? And guests making faces in the pews?

Remind your co-workers what century this is.

Old 05-21-2018, 10:09 AM

18,065 posts, read 15,658,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
Truly sad that there are still people like this in the world.
It is sad and still very common. My parents and other elderly relatives of that generation were/are terribly racist. I heard that an 82 yr old aunt (aunt by marriage) wouldn't even allow a black housekeeper into her home in FL to clean it recently. The appointment had apparently been set up by one of her kids, and when the housekeeper arrived on the appointed day, I heard my aunt sent her away. (very troubling, but true).

I am sickened and ashamed to be related to such awful and racist people. At least that generation is dying out now, but I'm still exposed to it from time to time.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:39 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Quote:

Yes - it was a gorgeous a capella rendition of "Stand by Me", the lyrics of which were most appropriate for the occasion and our times. It was sung at a slow to moderate pace, with great feeling and tenderness, by a Black British gospel choir.

Most of the other music was classical - orchestral, solo instrumental (cello, fabulous) and vocal (solo soprano sang for the processional - quite ethereal) - but as the newlyweds emerged from St. George's, the choir burst into "This Little Light of Mine", joined by the onlookers outside the church.

Harry and Meghan's wedding certainly was traditional in many ways - beautiful music, spectacular flowers, and bridal gown, darling child attendants, military uniforms on the groom and best man, Meghan wearing a loaned Royal tiara not seen since the early 1950s (originally made for Queen Mary in the early 1930s), the Royal family in almost full-turnout, an open carriage ride leading a parade through the crowded streets of Windsor afterwards, just as in other royal weddings - but it had their own touches as well.

The "black minister" is a bishop and the head of the Episcopal Church in the United States. He spoke about the power of love - since God is love, and we are made in God's image, than we are also made of love and should show that in how we live our lives, was the gist of it.

He also compared the power of love to the power of fire, which led some who weren't listening carefully to conclude that he was talking about fire and brimstone - nope, anything but. The Bishop was very informal in his manner, probably something many there had not expected or experienced in church previously, and he did go on too long - I think he was speaking spontaneously for the last five minutes or so. Other than going on too long, his message was spot-on - his delivery was probably a barrier for some who heard him, unfortunately.

Harry's Cousin Zara Phillips was photographed with a look of great surprise on her face during the bishop's part in the wedding - but her baby is due in a couple of weeks and she was clearly quite physically uncomfortable during the wedding (husband Mike Tindall was very, very attentive to her throughout), so I expect Junior kicked her or something rather than the bishop causing that reaction. Princess Anne would have raised Zara better than that.

I'm sorry your coworkers are so stodgy, and hope the beautiful wedding helped loosen them up and move them into the 21st century. Might be worth it to remind them that three of the Queen's four children have been divorced (two, Anne and Charles, have remarried), and that way back in the late 1700s, Queen Charlotte of England was said to be of partially African ancestry. So Meghan may well not be the first of that heritage to join the Royal family.

Old 05-21-2018, 11:51 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,407,985 times
Quote:

Your co-workers don't approve of bi-racial marriages, especially not in the royal family. Your friends judge the worthiness of a person marrying into the royal family by the color of their skin rather than their character?

Do your co-workers call themselves "Christians"? Just curious, because I can't find anything about ranking people according to skin color anywhere in the Bible.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:11 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,060,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atgss View Post
Like I said only GOD knows for sure.

I can't upload it because of copyright infringement(s) but if one looks up photos of James Hewitt when he was younger you'll see an almost mirror image to Harry.

Remember that it's possible that this is true and a secret well kept within BP.
I disagree. There was a picture of a young Prince Philip on a magazine cover, going around not so long ago. Harry looks very much like Prince Philip did in his younger days:

Photo of Prince Philip from 1957 bears striking resemblance to Harry

Old 05-21-2018, 12:18 PM

5,238 posts, read 4,060,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
The James Hewitt story has always been nonsense. If you look up pictures of Diana's family (the Spencers), you will see where Harry gets his ginger DNA. Harry is a Windsor and a Spencer.
Yes, Diana’s brother used to have ginger hair.

Old 05-21-2018, 01:11 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,894,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star10101 View Post
I disagree. There was a picture of a young Prince Philip on a magazine cover, going around not so long ago. Harry looks very much like Prince Philip did in his younger days:

Photo of Prince Philip from 1957 bears striking resemblance to Harry
Perhaps that's one reason why Harry is said to be the Queen's favorite grandchild. Looks just like Grandpa and shares his military service background.

I have read a story - no proof that it's so - that the royals secretly had a DNA paternity test done on Harry long ago. Charles is Harry's father, without a doubt, but even if that had been proven otherwise, he would still be a beloved son and family member.

BTW, wasn't Diana's involvement with Jamie Hewitt after Harry was born? I don't think she even knew him prior to that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom