Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2018, 07:22 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
It would appear the U.K has an arrogant and stupid Donald to deal with in the form of that tool Donald Tusk who resorted to the internet to insult the U.K.'s PM May.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...qWK?li=AAggNb9

Believe me when I say Canadians will full understand the UK's shock and chagrin at the total lack of diplomatic decorum.

Canada is undergoing the same exact conundrum with another Donald of what it would appear, the same Genetic strain.

Standing firm in the face of such ignorant and childish churlishness is something neither of the two Donalds will be capable of understanding.

NO deal is better than a very bad deal forced upon you by an arrogant bully that thinks they're the only game in town.

Hang in there Teresa, we understand completely.

The only place Donald Tusk is more unpopulat than in Britain is in his native Poland.

Jucker is to drunk to care and is just looking forward to claiming more exoenses and then a big pension.

Merkel wants a deal as Germany Industry will suffer as a result.

Macron and the French just want to punish us, which is typical of the French.

I am sure we will fo a good deal with Canada and many other goiod allies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2018, 07:30 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I agree the EU leadership truly don't understand the British psyche. You would think they would have learned from efforts to push us around before the vote. We don't take kindly to attempts to frighten, and intimidate.

The French gobbing off was expected, and no surprise. We have our backs to the wall, and know what to expect from now on.

They never intended to give us any sort of real trade deal. It all has to be on their terms, and as Theresa May said yesterday, that is not acceptable, and a no deal would be more acceptable, than what they are offering.

Some like the people you named, and others, refuse to accept the result of the vote. They come out with crap like needing 'a people's vote.' We had a people's vote, and the people voted to leave. Any attempts to force a second vote will bring anger out on to the streets.

We all saw what anger, and bad feeling can look like with the Scottish Independence vote. Once anger starts to show, it could get real messy. The politicians realise this. At least the ones not blinded by a desire to overthrow the vote result.
There are only three options now, a Norway style deal which is out of the question due to the fact it would still mean free movement of people and observing the four pillars including staying in the customs union and sngle market, so that's dead in the water already.

A Canada Style Free Trade Agreement, which would mean the EU stil get their £40 Billion and we still get some trading acceess, however this dies not cover financial services.

Thirdly just walk away and don't give them the £40 Billion.

Given the fact that there is not going to be that much advantage between a free trade deal which doesn't include financial services and just walking away other than allowing the EU to keep their massive trade deficits and EU agriculture and fishery policies , whilst stopping our financial services trade with them, I suggest we just walk away. This would also save us £40 Billion.

Brexit: What is a Canada-style trade deal? - Sky News

Post-Brexit trade deals: the Norway and Canada options explained - Full Facts

It's good to know who your allies are, and on our leaving I also suggest we review our defence and security arrangements with these countries and tear up a lot of agreements starting with the French Lancaster House Treaties.

There's no point in discussing it any further, as a Canada deal would be pointless unless finacial services were fully included. It also took Canada seven years to even get to this stage and the deal still may be blocked by some EU countries.

So it's all fairly pointless, we can try for a Canada Deal including financial services but that's it, and if that doesn't work we just have to walk away, whilst bringing troops back from the Baltics and reviewing our defence commitments in relation to Europe, as they can't cherry pick either when it comes to being closer allies only when it suits them.

Last edited by Brave New World; 09-22-2018 at 07:44 AM..

Old 09-22-2018, 07:49 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,424,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
There are only three options now, a Norway style deal which is out of the question due to the fact it would still mean free movement of people and staying in the customs union, so that's dead in the water already.

A Canada Style Free Trade Agreement, which would mean the EU stil get their £40 Billion and we still get some trading acceess, however this dies not cover financial services.

Thirdly just walk away and don't give them the £40 Billion.

Given the fact that there is not going to be that much advantage between a free trade deal which doesn't include financial services and just walking away other than allowing the EU to keep their massive trade deficits and bloated agriculture protectionism and fisheries, whilst stopping our financial services trade with them, I suggest we just walk away. This would also save us £40 Billion.

It's good to know who your allies are, and on our leaving I also suggest we review our defence and security arrangements with these countries and tear up a lot of agreements starting with the French Lancaster House Treaties.
It's looking like walking away is going to be our only option. Some in the EU think by putting pressure on, they will get another vote, or a different government to deal with. I can't see this happening in the next six months, but who knows?

The French attitude doesn't surprise me in the least, and I expected it sooner or later. We now need to take a deep breath, and walk away. Nothing we say or do will be enough for the EU, except complete surrender to their will. If they think that's what is going to happen, they are wrong.

A few countries within the EU are nervous. They are being held in line by the French and Germans for now. The nearer we get to exit day, the more unrest there will be within the EU ranks. Tusk and Juncker are holding the line, no doubt with threats behind the scenes.

They have had quite enough of our money this last 45 years, we should give them no more. The EU needs to be told they can whistle for the 40 billion they want off us. What have we got to lose now? They are going to try and damage us whatever we do or say.

I know business here is nervous,and uneasy. It is going to be difficult for us going forward, but what else can we do? An example was always going to be made of us, and nothing was going to prevent that. They can take their four pillars, and shove them up their *****.

We have never really been enthusiastic members of their little club. Thatcher should have made a stand 30 years ago, and give us a vote for leaving way back then. It would have saved us a lot of pain now.

We need to take a lesson out of the French textbook, and start with the bloody mindedness. It doesn't matter anymore, the French will ensure we have trucks backing up the roads of Kent. They will ensure we have goods rotting in wagons. Well, the same can be done the other way. German goods, French goods, make them suffer in the same way. At the same time, ensure the navy protects our waterways, and take back our fishing grounds for just our use.

Withdraw our armed forces from the outskirts of the EU, and pull up the drawbridge on any more immigration without visas. It's going to be bad, but we need to dish out the pain, as well as take it. It's going to be hard on all of us. We have been fools long enough.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:23 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,992,877 times
There is a special work visa (associated with the AUSFTA trade deal) for Australians-the E3 visa. This is intended for people who have lined up work in the USA in a specialized occupation. This visa permits employment of one's spouse.

Last edited by Tim Randal Walker; 09-22-2018 at 10:39 AM..

Old 09-22-2018, 10:42 AM

1,129 posts, read 469,810 times
If offered a job and the employer will sponsor you then you can go and work in the USA today from the uk or anywhere I would imagine.

The US and Uk would benefit equally from free movement of citizens but due to the amount of immigrants entering the uk over the last 50 years this is probably a none starter now.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:09 PM

7,676 posts, read 5,521,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
If offered a job and the employer will sponsor you then you can go and work in the USA today from the uk or anywhere I would imagine.

The US and Uk would benefit equally from free movement of citizens but due to the amount of immigrants entering the uk over the last 50 years this is probably a none starter now.
Are you sure? The U.S. does not have universal health care and Obamacare is collapsing. The U.K. would be a very attractive destination for anyone in the U.S. with a serious illness such as cancer and no (or little) health insurance.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Are you sure? The U.S. does not have universal health care and Obamacare is collapsing. The U.K. would be a very attractive destination for anyone in the U.S. with a serious illness such as cancer and no (or little) health insurance.
Very true, there are many people both sides of the Atlantic that would like to try the other for their own reasons.

I know plenty of Brits who have no money worries and own homes in the US but can't just retire there even though they would take nothing and give plenty.

Immigration needs a lot of tweaking all round.

Old 09-22-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
We can't afford a few million Americans climbing off a plane, and throwing themselves on the floor, demanding to be taken to a hospital. I kid you not, I was told by an airport worker this does happen with passengers from certain parts of the world.

Sorry Americans, we have enough sucking on the tax payer teat already in the UK.

Old 09-22-2018, 04:35 PM

Back on brexit

Tonight there’s talk of the conservatives calling a snap election in the hope of gaining support for whatever’s next whilst over in the labour camp Corbyn Is now saying he will support a second vote if called to by his supporters.

A poll today also shows 90% of labour voters support staying in the EU.

I’d hate to see Corbyn as prime minister but it’s starting to look like a real possibility, scary times.

Old 09-22-2018, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by britinspain View Post
Back on brexit

Tonight there’s talk of the conservatives calling a snap election in the hope of gaining support for whatever’s next whilst over in the labour camp Corbyn Is now saying he will support a second vote if called to by his supporters.

A poll today also shows 90% of labour voters support staying in the EU.

I’d hate to see Corbyn as prime minister but it’s starting to look like a real possibility, scary times.
Can you provide links to your claims? 'Talk of the Conservatives calling a snap election.' 'A poll today shows 90% of Labour voters support staying in the EU.'

Do you mean 90% of the snot nosed kiddies?

If the British public are stupid enough to vote in Corbyn, then they deserve all they get.

The Tories won't call any snap elections as long as they continue to get support from the DUP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom