Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 11:07 PM

6,044 posts, read 5,952,208 times

Advertisements

David Davis, has done the not entirely unexpected, and pulled the rug on his position as chief negotiator , overseeing the UK's exit from Brexit.

The ridiculous façade has been in play since 2016, and Britain clearly is unprepared for the road ahead.
It will be interesting if May can maintain, a resemblance of Conservative Party unity or if this will finally be the beginning of her end personally as leader, and the Conservatives hold on power in general.

All brought about for no good reason of course, and sold by lies and deceit as a populist cause.

Interesting to view from afar , the direction the country will take.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 12:45 AM

5,406 posts, read 3,601,746 times
the deal the British government want to do is not what the majority of the population voted for.
the EU will dismiss it out of hand anyway because that is what they do.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:20 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 1 day ago)

27,166 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
David Davis, has done the not entirely unexpected, and pulled the rug on his position as chief negotiator , overseeing the UK's exit from Brexit.

The ridiculous façade has been in play since 2016, and Britain clearly is unprepared for the road ahead.
It will be interesting if May can maintain, a resemblance of Conservative Party unity or if this will finally be the beginning of her end personally as leader, and the Conservatives hold on power in general.

All brought about for no good reason of course, and sold by lies and deceit as a populist cause.

Interesting to view from afar , the direction the country will take.
May was offerng a soft Brexit and concessions, the alternative is a possible leadership battle and a Conservative Government led by someone like Jacob Rees-Mogg.

In terms of Labour they are offering an even softer Bexit than Theresa May and would even stay in the EU Customs Union.

In terms of Davis, he will most likely be replaced by Michael Gove.

Who could replace David Davis as Brexit secretary? - Sky News

Old 07-09-2018, 02:38 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
I'm not surprised David Davis has resigned. He is fed up of the cowardice, and fear being shown to the EU. If they want our money, they have better start making some real concessions. If they don't, we should walk. I have been saying this for a long time, in threads here about Brexit.

They must understand we will walk, and let the cards fall where they may. There would be more than just us hurt if that comes to pass. Look them in the eye, and don't blink.

Gawd, I hated Thatcher, but I wish we had her at the helm right now.

Last edited by English Dave; 07-09-2018 at 03:24 AM..

Old 07-09-2018, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I'm not surprised David Davis has resigned. He is fed up of the cowardice, and fear being shown to the EU. If they want our money, they have better start making some real concessions. If they don't, we should walk. I have been saying this for a long time, in threads here about Brexit.

They must understand we will walk, and let the cards fall where they may. There would be more than just us hurt if that comes to pass. Look then in the eye, and don't blink.

How are we supposed to maintain Defence and Security Agreements with countries we can't get a trade agreeement with.

Best thing to do would be to take a leaf out of Trump's book and put all defence and security agreements on hold until a trade agreement can be reached, and withdraw British troops from Eastern Europe.

If an agreement can not be reached regarding finance and services, then we need to join Trump and look at tariffs on German cars and manufactured goods.

In the meantime we need to be looking at extending relations with other countries through five eyes and other such security arrangements.

If you can't get a decent trade agreement then you can't be expected to extend the hand of friendship in relation to other areas, as the EU needs to understand that cherry picking also applies equally to there side of the negotiations.

Last edited by Brave New World; 07-09-2018 at 03:05 AM..

Old 07-09-2018, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
the deal the British government want to do is not what the majority of the population voted for.
the EU will dismiss it out of hand anyway because that is what they do.
But surely all too many folk were peddled a string of lies by self serving politicians? The names Boris Johnson and Nigel Forage come to mind. Neither of course expected their side to win but more a case of 'political advancement'.

I must say I am somewhat surprised business didn't make a stronger argument to the voters to remain.

My take is that the EU is over Britain's antics now and moved onto other concerns. Obviously they will not likely make an exit in Britain's favour very likely. quite the contrary. May of course was pro EU in an earlier life.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
May was offerng a soft Brexit and concessions, the alternative is a possible leadership battle and a Conservative Government led by someone like Jacob Rees-Mogg.

In terms of Labour they are offering an even softer Bexit than Theresa May and would even stay in the EU Customs Union.

In terms of Davis, he will most likely be replaced by Michael Gove.

Who could replace David Davis as Brexit secretary? - Sky News
I wonder will Briton's really fall that arch Conservative fellow Rees-Mogg? The Wooster like charade he sometimes appears to enjoy playing, and no doubt endearing as it is, is of course a guise for some rather regressive politics.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour View Post
But surely all too many folk were peddled a string of lies by self serving politicians? The names Boris Johnson and Nigel Forage come to mind. Neither of course expected their side to win but more a case of 'political advancement'.

I must say I am somewhat surprised business didn't make a stronger argument to the voters to remain.
A lot of business supported leave, you had people like Jim Ratcliffe who is worth £21 Billion arguing the case for Brexit, along with James Dyson who is worth a further £4 Billion, nd there were numerous other influential supporters.

On the otherside the Remainers Project Fear made equally outlandish claims

Quote:
Originally Posted by the troubadour
My take is that the EU is over Britain's antics now and moved onto other concerns. Obviously they will not likely make an exit in Britain's favour very likely. quite the contrary. May of course was pro EU in an earlier life.
May has offered a soft Brexit, and it's now up to Europe to respond in kind.

Failure to do so, could see a leadership challenge in the Conservative Party and the EU having to deal with Jacob Rees-Mogg and his ilk.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post

They must understand we will walk, and let the cards fall where they may. There would be more than just us hurt if that comes to pass. Look then in the eye, and don't blink.

Not sure Thatcher would have done any better than the present lot. Of course, so may well have had more sense than call a referendum on continued membership. Not only did the fool, Cameron, take Britain out of Europe, he almost led to the break up of the Kingdom as well. Not a bad days work all set and done.

I suspect Davis wasn't really up to the job. May be his terms of reference, but I have read, his state of preparedness prior to early months of talks was seriously lacking. (as per European press)

I think you under estimate the damage to the UK from exit, Europe will be impacted but has prepared increasingly for eventualities. Britain on the other hand appears floundering and clueless as how to proceed. There are matters of more gravity than Britain withdrawing, I'm afraid, although the true impact on UK has yet to reveal itself.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
A lot of business supported leave, you had people like Jim Ratcliffe who is worth £21 Billion arguing the case for Brexit, along with James Dyson who is worth a further £4 Billion, nd there were numerous other influential supporters.

On the otherside the Remainers Project Fear made equally outlandish claims

May has offered a soft Brexit, and it's now up to Europe to respond in kind.

Failure to do so, could see a leadership challenge in the Conservative Party and the EU having to deal with Jacob Rees-Mogg and his ilk.
A sad day for Britain if Moggs gets a look in. I am aware of aspects of business supporting withdrawal for self serving perceived reasons. What I don't get is the financial industry and Aerospace and so on now giving out indications that it is extremely bad policy and relocations will eventuate as things stand.

The thought that Britain, can somehow divorce itself from what is by far its major trading source, strikes me as ludicrous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom