Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 10:36 AM

18,528 posts, read 18,752,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
He's been a handful to deal with, but he also sacrificed himself greatly for Meghan, according to Meghan's own account. She praised him constantly.

She once publicly paid tribute to him on Father's Day with this quote:

"If I had all the water in the world, I'd give all the water to you... (You won't get that quote, but he will... and that's all that matters.)"
aw thats lovely............as a parent of four grown up children myself I expect nothing from them whether they are better off or not.. and thats the way it should be...I dont think any parent should expect financial help from a child unless really pushed to desperate levels.. surely we dont have children to benefit from them..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 02:45 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,417 times
Markel once had a goodly job and got himself into the state he is now in. Anyway Prince Harry as i have always reckoned is a fortunate man and if she had wanted to marry me I would have left the centre of the Universe (Glasgow for you who did not know) as long as it wasn't Edinburgh we went to.......

Old 10-27-2018, 03:00 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post

aw thats lovely............as a parent of four grown up children myself I expect nothing from them whether they are better off or not.. and thats the way it should be...I dont think any parent should expect financial help from a child unless really pushed to desperate levels.. surely we dont have children to benefit from them..
Should middle class parents expect their middle class grown children to send them money? Not unless the situation is dire, because middle class children don't have much to spare.

It depends on the level of one's resources and the parent's situation.

I can't imagine having my own wealth, and then marrying into a family of staggering wealth - one of the richest families on the PLANET . . . and allowing my father to drive a beater.

I really don't understand that. I never will. Even if I wasn't speaking to him, I'd still make him more comfortable. A new car and a more private place to live would be a mere drop in the bucket to Meghan.

There was a book I read when I was young. I can't remember the title, but it was classic literature and the setting was in historical France. The book was about a married lady with one son. She and her husband had a very nice life, and then her husband died unexpectedly even though he wasn't old. The book described the stages of poverty the French had euphemisms for. "First poverty" was when the person still made a good appearance because both their poverty and clothing were still fairly new. Then there were further stages where the person became progressively more ragged until the person's poverty was obvious to any observer.

In the book, the lady's son grows rich and famous. There is a scene where her son is positioned in a place on honor in a procession going through the street. He looks down and sees his mother standing in the street as he goes by, and waves to her. He expects her to feel pride in his high position, even as she is beyond destitute at this point. It's portrayed as a metaphorical slap in the face, and meant to show how oblivious her son is.

Granted, Mr. Markle isn't at this level of poverty, but I can't help but think of this book when I look at the contrast of him driving some beat up old car, while Meghan is splashed all over the media traveling and living in extreme luxury.

Enough about what she should do. I would have thought she would take DELIGHT in the ability to help.

Now that she actually has "all the water in the world", she's forgotten the quote!

Old 10-27-2018, 05:00 PM

280 posts, read 307,728 times
I love this lol. When the pregnancy news first broke I lapped up a full serving of tears from all the racist, sexist roaches that hate that this marriage even happened in the first place.Meghan being a half-black,divorced woman, who dared to have a healthy sex life, was to much for them to handle from jump,but now she has officially had the last laugh lmao. I cant wait for round two when she actually gives birth though. The tears of the Toxic Trio and the British tabloids will have me filled for years to come

Last edited by fantasy09; 10-27-2018 at 05:54 PM..

Old 10-27-2018, 06:50 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
As the child of dysfunctional parents, who I loved and who loved me, but who had very strange ways of showing it - and as the child of a seriously mentally ill mother - all I can say is that I don't judge people too harshly regarding how close or how distant they are to their parents. Just because someone is a parent doesn't mean they are a saint - and frankly, some parents are simply awful.

I have a feeling there's a whole lot that we don't know about the relationship between Thomas Markle and his daughter. And frankly, she doesn't owe anyone other than perhaps Harry an explanation.

Old 10-27-2018, 09:00 PM

165 posts, read 115,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
And?

That would hurt Meghan and Harry how exactly? People might think they have hearts?
I was responding to the person who implied that they could help Mr. Markle on the downlow without anyone knowing. My response was that Mr. Markle would make a public spectacle of it as he’s done with everything since his daughter married into the royal family. For both Meghan and the Royal family’s sake, it’s best not to feed the troll. In the long run it will only cause more headaches and heartaches. Speaking of which, i.e., the heart and “people” believing they have one. I suspect there are only a few squeaky wheels that are outraged by Meghan’s response or lack there of to her father. Others love her no matter what, while the rest just don’t give a dam.

Like someone previously stated we have no idea what Meghan’s relationship with her father has been and is truly like. And it’s not our business to know. Furthermore, though Meghan married a rich Prince that doesn’t mean the royal funds are her funds i.e., that she has access to them to do as she pleases, meaning she can just set up an allowance for her father, buy him a new car etc., I’m sure there are protocols of red tape and approvals for such things that neither Meghan (and maybe even Harry either) can just snap their fingers and make happen.

But really, she doesn’t owe him a darn thing, whether he’d been father of the year or the train wreck that he is. He did his job as a parent and took part in her upbringing, perhaps paid for some schooling and provided some support. That’s what a parent should do without any expectation of being repaid for what was their duty as a parent.

Btw, how did this topic veer into a debate about Meghan and Mr. Markle? Isn’t there already a thread/topic for this? Can we get back to celebrating her pregnancy? Thus far she’s wearing it well! And I’ve loved every outfit she’s worn on the tour! Even the Pom Pom dress that many didn’t like. Lol. I think all of the looks have enhanced her beauty and complimented her baby bump well.

Last edited by Ocean Flames; 10-27-2018 at 09:14 PM..

Old 10-28-2018, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
As the child of dysfunctional parents, who I loved and who loved me, but who had very strange ways of showing it - and as the child of a seriously mentally ill mother - all I can say is that I don't judge people too harshly regarding how close or how distant they are to their parents. Just because someone is a parent doesn't mean they are a saint - and frankly, some parents are simply awful.

I have a feeling there's a whole lot that we don't know about the relationship between Thomas Markle and his daughter. And frankly, she doesn't owe anyone other than perhaps Harry an explanation.
tried to rep you there....

Old 10-28-2018, 02:52 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,511,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Mr. Markle seems like a loose cannon to me - unpredictable and probably not all that smart. He also has breached confidentiality several times, as well as sold his story to tabloids. Personally, I think his behavior is pretty appalling and I don't think that either Meghan or Harry "owe" him a cent. He'd be a hard father to deal with even as just a "commoner."
For an organization that leaves little to chance the Royal Family really mishandled the Markles. Even if she wanted to distances herself from her father and half-siblings the Royal Family should have explained that its better to somewhat include them, coach them and make them feel part of the process for her success. Instead they were held at arms length (or longer) because they don't fit the image desired and required. That's a recipe for them to talk to the press and act out. Again, the Royal Family is usually on top of everything and to see them be so sloppy with Meghan's family is surprising.

Old 10-28-2018, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
For an organization that leaves little to chance the Royal Family really mishandled the Markles. Even if she wanted to distances herself from her father and half-siblings the Royal Family should have explained that its better to somewhat include them, coach them and make them feel part of the process for her success. Instead they were held at arms length (or longer) because they don't fit the image desired and required. That's a recipe for them to talk to the press and act out. Again, the Royal Family is usually on top of everything and to see them be so sloppy with Meghan's family is surprising.
Maybe her family werent all that much in her life. as they had different mothers... I dont know though.. but I dont think we all need our relatives to tag along..I know many of my own family I dont see or keep in touch with .. only my own children and their families..

Old 10-28-2018, 06:11 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,417 times
Are you real fantasy09 coming up with that guff about using the racist and other stuff as if it was some big thing against the marriage. Cloud cuckoo-land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom