Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2018, 04:00 AM

27,047 posts, read 13,317,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Creeping you? If you posted it, anyone on earth with an internet connection can read it. If you don't want anyone to see your underpants, don't hang them up on the line in the yard to dry.

I sometimes check people's bio or post history before responding to them. It may help me to give a better response.

Don't roll your eyes too hard as it might cause a problem with the broken vessel.
I am sure Dave has a tumble dryer and never hangs his underpants out to dry and he's not creepy at all, in fact he's a very pleasant chap.

Where is this thread even going, although please don't stop I am ROFL at all of this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2018, 10:37 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,552,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
I am sure Dave has a tumble dryer and never hangs his underpants out to dry and he's not creepy at all, in fact he's a very pleasant chap.

Where is this thread even going, although please don't stop I am ROFL at all of this.
Actually, I'd like to see this thread broken into 3 or 4. It's drifted into several directions, organically, but each time it's a topic that could stand on its own.

Old 11-06-2018, 02:31 PM

69 posts, read 53,725 times
I am an American who loves his country & never purposely sets out to disparage its citizenry intentionally, nor do I like to generalize overmuch & paint with broad strokes as is so very popular these days. I don't care to ride on the wave of popular world opinion concerning my nation because I often find it as ignorant of salient points as it seems to wantonly label my people as being.

That said, I will wretchedly do so here; from my observations in this great nation & abroad, Americans do largely (not entirely, always exceptions) seem to have very quickly/easily formed opinions, including opinions for those subjects wherein we may not be very well-versed, or for which we may not even have any knowledge or experience at all. I have found, in my admittedly limited experience with them, that Brits I have come across seem to have enough humility to at least consider that they may not know everything about everything by fiat or osmosis, & that observation may be helpful prior to forming opinions.

In fact, it may be said that the statements that I just made, with the admittedly light experience forming the basis for them, can be the so-called proof in the pudding for the quickly/easily formed opinions of an American. We just love to blurt & insert ourselves in, regardless of qualification or invitation. Interestingly, depending on one's perceptions, British reservation may be perceived as a bit arrogant just as American insta-opinions may also be seen as arrogant. Seems you can't win for losing on this planet.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:21 PM

11,600 posts, read 12,641,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
You did make me smile there n_newengland on the matter of that US elderly couple and saying that they came from an earlier age so may I remind they were up to date being journalist people all their lives. It would therefore not make any sense to assume with their background and intelligence they should question why a modern country like mine should not be well, modern! Mind you over the years I have watched reports where Americans have been interviewed on very main news items and are often with blank faces or guess. Don't think being a big place is the answer it may be your own media and way things go over the pond that causes such oddities. That time on my second trip to the ex-colonies (!) on the way down to Philadelphia I kept golk on the train interested on tales from here and teaching the children Scots songs, etc. When I got off at Philly I got waved at from right long the coach on the way off!
I wonder if your journalism friends got the idea that the UK still did not have colour TV because of watching British programs on American TV in black and white. Our public stations used to air black and white episodes of The Pallisers, early episodes of Monty Python, older sitcoms, and black and white episodes of The Avengers, The Saint aired and continue to air on American commercial stations.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:44 PM

26,650 posts, read 28,573,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
I wonder if your journalism friends got the idea that the UK still did not have colour TV because of watching British programs on American TV in black and white. Our public stations used to air black and white episodes of The Pallisers, early episodes of Monty Python, older sitcoms, and black and white episodes of The Avengers, The Saint aired and continue to air on American commercial stations.
That's a thought. There are a lot of misconceptions because of gaps in our knowledge or false assumptions made. Maybe we don't get their humor either and maybe they don't get ours.

For instance, I hadn't been to England in many years and so I emailed a friend over there to ask what the clothing styles were. I think she took it the wrong way because she acted insulted and came back with a snide reply, like they're still back in the dark ages or still dress like cavemen or something.

Or else that was her humor. But, knowing her, I think she was being critical of me for asking and assuming that I thought they would be way behind, when, in reality, I thought they would be way ahead of us.

And I still am not sure that the British are more reserved. I think the British are more reserved in some ways and Americans are more reserved in other ways.

Old 11-06-2018, 05:55 PM

11,600 posts, read 12,641,225 times
^ Well, British comedians don't seem very reserved. James Corden, Marty Feldman, Craig Ferguson, Graham Norton??

Old 11-07-2018, 12:41 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,408,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Actually, I'd like to see this thread broken into 3 or 4. It's drifted into several directions, organically, but each time it's a topic that could stand on its own.
We do that in UK threads. Drift all over the place......I am as much to blame for that as anyone else......

As long as we keep it friendly, the mods don't seem to mind.

Old 11-07-2018, 07:41 AM

67,652 posts, read 60,621,435 times
I am getting a kick out of this thread, so let's please keep it going! In every direction!

Old 11-07-2018, 11:44 AM

18,506 posts, read 18,660,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
We do that in UK threads. Drift all over the place......I am as much to blame for that as anyone else......

As long as we keep it friendly, the mods don't seem to mind.
were old Dave...oldies always drift, haha.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:58 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,408,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
were old Dave...oldies always drift, haha.
Yeah, I think the c-d powers that be know that, and make allowance for it here in the UK thread.......

Very few threads stay strictly on subject. Well, the one's I gab in don't.......

We're a friendly bunch, and don't have a go at anybody.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom