Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2018, 10:00 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,430,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post

Whipped cream comes in a canister and you squirt it out. Not only is it used as a dessert topping, but also during a rowdy food fight and also used during certain "bedroom" activities (wink, wink, nudge, nudge, know what I mean as they say in Monty Python).

Personally, I loathe coffee. I am an avid tea drinker. I keep Taylors tea, Yorkshire Gold and so forth, as well as a variety of other loose teas, Asian style or English. I don't "do" tea bags. I use either my cast iron dutch tea pot or a brown betty. Fortunately for me, tea has become very popular with the millenials and there are tea salons popping up everywhere. It used to be hard to find loose tea, but not any more. There are many stores that sell loose tea now.

The US doesn't have "pudding." And we don't have desserts where you pour cream over it.
Whipped cream is used in certain bedroom activities? You eat cream cakes in bed? Watch for those crumbs.......

My wife Judy only drinks Earl Grey tea. Vile stuff. Most tea drunk here in England nowadays is in the bag. I suppose the ritual of the tea pot has died out for the most part. My grandmother used to just use a cup for her loose tea. When she had finished, I remember the tea leaves up the side of her cup. She drank it black, without even sugar. It was a habit she had picked up during the war, when milk and sugar was rationed.

No puddings in the US huh? You can't beat Spotted Dick, covered in custard.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOon0iAJlpM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2018, 10:01 PM

11,637 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
What? South Jersey is not now & never has been in the NYC metro. It is related to Philadelphia. The foods & the terms are different. You won't find scrapple, easily in the NYC metro. It's everywhere in Philadelphia & South Jersey. The long sandwiches called subs in the NYC metro are hoagies in Philadelphia and South Jersey, etc etc.

People say please in South Jersey & Philadelphia as well as excuse me, & converse with total strangers in public.
Some do and some don't. There are lots of "snookie" types and Soprano types in south Jersey too. Got lots of family in south Jersey and on the PA border so I have a pretty good idea of the area. There is some overlap with the food, but they still eat bagels with a schmear in South Jersey. Depends on the culture. Plenty of people from Cherry Hill work in NYC.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Whipped cream is used in certain bedroom activities? You eat cream cakes in bed? Watch for those crumbs.......

My wife Judy only drinks Earl Grey tea. Vile stuff. Most tea drunk here in England nowadays is in the bag. I suppose the ritual of the tea pot has died out for the most part. My grandmother used to just use a cup for her loose tea. When she had finished, I remember the tea leaves up the side of her cup. She drank it black, without even sugar. It was a habit she had picked up during the war, when milk and sugar was rationed.

No puddings in the US huh? You can't beat Spotted Dick, covered in custard.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOon0iAJlpM
The whipped cream is not put on a cake Dave, lol.

Yeah, Earl Grey is the one type of tea that I don't like. Sorry, Jean Luc Picard.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Ever talk to someone who was alive during the Depression?
Of Course! I'm no young'un.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:12 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
Some do and some don't. There are lots of "snookie" types and Soprano types in south Jersey too. Got lots of family in south Jersey and on the PA border so I have a pretty good idea of the area. There is some overlap with the food, but they still eat bagels with a schmear in South Jersey. Depends on the culture. Plenty of people from Cherry Hill work in NYC.
Hon, I lived in Cherry Hill for over 40 years & knew 2 people who commuted to NYC. One was an executive & had an apartment in Manhattan. He made the commute for years. The other person did it for 6 months. A lot of NYers moved to South Jersey during the real estate bubble & hated it. They freaked out in the stores when the locals tried to talk to them. Peddle your story to someone who doesn't know better.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Hon, I lived in Cherry Hill for over 40 years & knew 2 people who commuted to NYC. One was an executive & had an apartment in Manhattan. He made the commute for years. The other person did it for 6 months. A lot of NYers moved to South Jersey during the real estate bubble & hated it. They freaked out in the stores when the locals tried to talk to them. Peddle your story to someone who doesn't know better.
How far do commuters into NYC travel from each day to work? When I lived in the south of England back in the 70s, commuting into London was very common. I lived in Chatham, Kent, which was only 33 miles from London, but took an hour on the train.

I used to be taking a girlfriend to see a movie at about 7pm, and I would see commuters coming out of the railway station, on their way home. I swore to myself then, as a teenager, I would never live a life like that, and I didn't.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:50 PM

Quote:
How far do commuters into NYC travel from each day to work? When I lived in the south of England back in the 70s, commuting into London was very common. I lived in Chatham, Kent, which was only 33 miles from London, but took an hour on the train.

I used to be taking a girlfriend to see a movie at about 7pm, and I would see commuters coming out of the railway station, on their way home. I swore to myself then, as a teenager, I would never live a life like that, and I didn't.
Well, I can tell you that people in Philadelphia & South Jersey rarely make the commute to Manhattan long term. My parents had a neighbor who was a high up executive at Columbia Records. The man had an apartment in Manhattan because he couldn't stand the commute. It's 100 miles, for Pete's sake, 100 miles each way. At one point, I had a couple from the NY metro buy the house next to me. They seemed nice enough, but they hated Philadelphia & they hated South Jersey. They sold out & moved home after 2 years. It infuriated them that the sports on the news of the Philadelphia stations was for the Philadelphia teams, not the NYC teams. Imagine that. They shared that with me because I was a technician at a Philadelphia TV station. I told some coworkers who laughed & took bets of how long my neighbors would last.

There's no love between Philadelphia and South Jersey & NYC and North Jersey. In my opinion, that poster wouldn't have posted that load on the Philadelphia or South Jersey boards but did it here assuming that no one would know the difference. InNewEngland called him out first. I didn't call him out on everything that I could have.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:07 PM

A few times when my sons were young kids, I took them to London for the weekend. We caught a train about 6.30am, from Manchester, so we would arrive in London about 9am. The train was full of business types. They ate breakfast in the dining car, and sat at their seats working on paperwork for most of the journey. I was astonished seeing this. Whether this was something they did regularly I don't know. I can't see them doing this daily, but who knows? Nowadays, they will have their laptops and phones to use on the journey, which will keep them busy.

Old 11-13-2018, 11:29 PM

Quote:
A few times when my sons were young kids, I took them to London for the weekend. We caught a train about 6.30am, from Manchester, so we would arrive in London about 9am. The train was full of business types. They ate breakfast in the dining car, and sat at their seats working on paperwork for most of the journey. I was astonished seeing this. Whether this was something they did regularly I don't know. I can't see them doing this daily, but who knows? Nowadays, they will have their laptops and phones to use on the journey, which will keep them busy.
There are trains going into NYC. A Philadelphia news anchor was hired by a network to work in NYC. He was making big bucks. He quit the network in less than 2 years & was back working at a local Philadelphia station. He was a nice man with a family. I worked with him a few years later, so I know he was a nice person. He didn't want to move his family to NYC & he hated the commute, even by Amtrak.

Old 11-14-2018, 07:46 AM

Quote:

Dave, the other poster's information is dated. I live in NJ, Now. Real estate has become so pricey over the past few years. There are people that commute all the way from PA, including Allentown. Mentioning Columbia Records shows how dated that information is because I worked for a spell at CBS Records. There is a moderator on CD, MIghtyqueen who lived in South Jersey for years and commuted to the World Trade Center. I have family just west of Princeton, NJ. as well as Toms River and they work in Manhattan. It is a killer commute, but people do it because your money goes much further in that area. You get more property and a bigger house for the same amount of money than it costs to buy closer to NYC. There are even people who do commute from Philadelphia, which takes about 2 1/2 hours each way by train, but the cost of living is lower. I also have a friend that lives in northern NJ, Randolph, close to the NY border who also works in Manhattan. It takes her about 2-21/2 hours each way. The thing is that many people these days can telecommute, at least part time. That makes it more bearable. In general, New Yorkers have longer commutes than many others in other parts of the country, but we tend to use public transportation, unlike many other areas in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom