Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2018, 11:15 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Speaking of being reserved (something we are not speaking of, lol) the Brit I married is NOT reserved at all. The man is LOUD. The man says BLOODY 'ELL many times a day. Now take me, a normal American woman. Quiet, polite, reserved (except that in England people tell me I am too excitable.)

I have to tell this Brit I married to shaddup. Talks non stop and is anything but reserved. Still trying to teach him to say "please" and "thank you." Slow learner. But a real sweetie of a man--they make good men over there.

However, if being passive aggressive = reserved, maybe there's something to it. Because they will often be very polite but they will get even with you later. You don't even know they're angry. I get the BLOODY 'ELL and the passive aggressive, both, but that's probably unusual.

I find that the British will talk instead of screeching or screaming "eeeeek." (That's being excitable=American.) The Brits will verbalize and they have that gift of banter. Something I have never been able to grasp or emulate. They will cleverly banter back and forth, leaving an American somewhat clueless.

Time to save up for another trip to Blighty to follow up on this absorbing topic. Waiting for the pound/dollar rate to be favorable for us. I'll do the Sherlock Holmes thing over there and most definitely come back with The Answer to this pressing question. (Now back to bagels and NY/NJ/Philly.)
Oh, we can go on to something else, please. I do thank gerania for jumping in, though. I was horrified by the misinformation.

I have to tell you, the British men who I've met in real life were very well mannered, but did do the bloody 'ell thing. They seem much better at verbalizing than American men, for the most part. That could be a misconception on my part.

I still think that someone should start a Christmas thread. That could be extremely entertaining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2018, 01:32 AM

2,587 posts, read 1,594,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
Shaddup works well on British men. Or shut yer face......... Passive aggressive is our speciality. Your husband would have spent many years honing his craft. We like to play verbal ping pong, or banter as you put it. When in the mood, we're great company.......

Waiting for the pound/dollar rate to be favourable........ it doesn't get much better for you than it is right now!! With your British husband in tow, you can't go wrong here for opening up the reserved British. He has the key on him.......
I'm unsure about banter Dave, it's too often used as a defence when guys push the envelope a tad too far, and get taken to task about it. e.g., "It was a joke, lighten up, it's only banter."
It's been used as a catch-all defence in sexual innuendo in the work place cases, and people hide behind it when all else fails.
When I was driving a taxi in London, the computerised dispatch radio circuit that I subscribed to, had many multi national corporate clients in the Financial District, banks, law firms, etc.
We lost a client who spent a million pounds annually on taxis, over one guy's alleged "banter."
He'd been given a trip from The City to Covent Garden, and had walked to the reception desk, in a company the size of Merrill-Lynch, and said to the young woman there, "Good morning, taxi for Mr. Blank, please."
She called Mr. Blank's office, and told his secretary that the taxi was here for Mr. Blank.
The usual procedure then, was that the driver returned to his cab, and put a name board in the window, Mr. Blank, but this guy leaned over the desk, looked down the woman's blouse, and said, "New shoes?'
The inference being that he could see all the way to her feet, by looking down her neckline.
Unsurprisingly, the woman wasn't too pleased, and reported the incident, which had been witnessed by another receptionist.
When asked for his side of the story, the guy said, "Wassamatter, can't she take a joke, it's only banter."
He was expelled from the circuit, and the circuit lost the client.

You're right about the exchange rate right now, with this Brexit fiasco, the pound is dropping like a drunk at last call!

Old 11-16-2018, 01:57 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,427,959 times
I meant witty banter Jean!!....... I was used to working in close contact every day with men and women for a few decades. We used to have a lot of laughs with friendly banter. We treated each other as equals both men and women. We worked together, and laughed together. I don't miss work, but I do miss that sense of comradeship.

As for the pound..........gawd help us.......

Old 11-16-2018, 03:40 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,021,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You've surely got some Grey Poupon in that briefcase.
Briefcase! I'm more of a 'backpack' kind of man. Wouldn't mind a 'bowler' hat, I don't think they're as easy to find as one might think though!

Old 11-16-2018, 09:45 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Briefcase! I'm more of a 'backpack' kind of man. Wouldn't mind a 'bowler' hat, I don't think they're as easy to find as one might think though!
I'm more of a backpack sort of woman, but not not on High Street at my age.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:11 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
I meant witty banter Jean!!....... I was used to working in close contact every day with men and women for a few decades. We used to have a lot of laughs with friendly banter. We treated each other as equals both men and women. We worked together, and laughed together. I don't miss work, but I do miss that sense of comradeship.

As for the pound..........gawd help us.......
The witty banter is what I was talking about. It baffles me when I hear it in the movies. They are so fast on the uptake, so clever to shoot the other person down, oh so gently. Quick comebacks. Very good.

If I could get to England NOW, my dollar would stretch quite a way, wouldn't it. But I can't go there right now and the downside is that I was going to send money to the two oldest grandchildren. Postage has gone crazy high and we end up spending more on postage than on the actual gifts. How does that work. I think the youngest will get a present but it's American money for the other two. If I send actual American money, they can each go out and buy a brand new phone for $20 American, lol. Works well. But only from the American side. This might be a good year to send American cash. Kids can learn about exchange rates and foreign money too. (Christmas present dilemma solved.)

Old 11-17-2018, 12:53 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,700,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
In over 40 years I knew one person who did it long term. The man has been dead for years.

Mighty Queen lived in North Jersey then moved a few years ago to the shore. She told me herself. You started it off that all of NJ is in the NYC metro. I wasn't about to be bothered with everything that you said that was not true. You can't prove that all of NJ is in the NYC metro because proof doesn't exist.

You made a big mistake when you cited the very town that I lived in for over 40 years, & my nephew still lives there. 10 miles from Center City Philadelphia. Exits 33, & 34 A & B of I 295. 33 miles north of Delaware. I doubt that you've lived in Cherry Hill for one month. The population is considerably less Jewish & Italian than it used to be & is more Asian. That's a trend that been going on for 30 years.
With all due respect, I didn't make any mistakes. I don't think you are reading all of the posts accurately. I never ever said that I lived in Cherry Hill, nor have I ever mentioned Jewish Delis or bagels. Never. I think I was in Cherry Hill one time, many years ago at the mall. I have no idea what the demographics of Cherry Hill are currently or in the past. I just used Cherry Hill as a random example as I know some people who have been working in Manhattan for 10 years who live there. They still work in Manhattan. I have a residence in NJ, but not near Cherry Hill. I am familiar with many towns in South NJ. You also challenged me about not knowing anyone from the Depression after I had already written posts about my Uncle who served in the RAF during WWI, as well as my parents being around during WWI. Presumably, they lived long enough to live through the Depression.

I didn't mean to touch a nerve as I guess you are very territorial about Philadelphia and the NJ border. I can only make comments from my own experiences and perspectives, which are different from yours. We don't travel in the same circles and cultures. From my experience, it is not unusual for people to work in Manhattan or Brooklyn and live in South New Jersey. I think we can agree that the commute is awful. Again, this MY experience. Let's just stop the "challenges." This has been such a congenial thread so far, which is not often the case on CD. You aren't going to change my mind and I have zero interest in changing yours so let's just drop the subject and get on with talking about the UK and all things British before someone closes the thread down.

Last edited by Coney; 11-17-2018 at 01:04 AM..

Old 11-17-2018, 01:05 AM

Since we have twisted and turned around the original topic, I wanted to bring up a documentary that I saw last night on television. The topic probably is more appropriate in the London subforum. The documentary was about the flooding in London and how the Thames Barrier is being made to do more work than what the builders originally intended. I knew about the rivers that are underground because buildings and streets were built over it, without regard for their function in handling water overflow, apparently. With sea levels rising, I was wondering if other parts of the UK are facing similar challenges.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:19 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
With all due respect, I didn't make any mistakes. I don't think you are reading all of the posts accurately. I never ever said that I lived in Cherry Hill, nor have I ever mentioned Jewish Delis or bagels. Never. I think I was in Cherry Hill one time, many years ago at the mall. I have no idea what the demographics of Cherry Hill are currently or in the past. I just used Cherry Hill as a random example as I know some people who have been working in Manhattan for 10 years who live there. They still work in Manhattan. I have a residence in NJ, but not near Cherry Hill. I am familiar with many towns in South NJ. You also challenged me about not knowing anyone from the Depression after I had already written posts about my Uncle who served in the RAF during WWI, as well as my parents being around during WWI. Presumably, they lived long enough to live through the Depression.

I didn't mean to touch a nerve as I guess you are very territorial about Philadelphia and the NJ border. I can only make comments from my own experiences and perspectives, which are different from yours. We don't travel in the same circles and cultures. From my experience, it is not unusual for people to work in Manhattan or Brooklyn and live in South New Jersey. I think we can agree that the commute is awful. Again, this MY experience. Let's just stop the "challenges." This has been such a congenial thread so far, which is not often the case on CD. You aren't going to change my mind and I have zero interest in changing yours so let's just drop the subject and get on with talking about the UK and all things British before someone closes the thread down.
You made a false statement that all of NJ is in the NYC metro. When I challenged that, all you had to do was admit that it is not or say nothing. You made a comment about people in Cherry Hill liking a schmear, an obvious reference to Jewish people.

A lot of people made moves 10 or 15 years ago &, due to the real estate collapse, then, have been stuck in places. None of this is stuff that the average person on this board would know without having to research. They shouldn't have to.

If you don't post something false, you will not hear a peep out of me.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You made a false statement that all of NJ is in the NYC metro. When I challenged that, all you had to do was admit that it is not or say nothing. You made a comment about people in Cherry Hill liking a schmear, an obvious reference to Jewish people.

A lot of people made moves 10 or 15 years ago &, due to the real estate collapse, then, have been stuck in places. None of this is stuff that the average person on this board would know without having to research. They shouldn't have to.

If you don't post something false, you will not hear a peep out of me.
Oh geez. This has absolutely nothing to do with the United Kingdom. The NYC metro boundaries seem to be expanding and more people are commuting from further areas. Since London is so expensive, I wonder if the same principle applies.

There are more than a handful of people who commute from the most western areas of NJ. You are right and I am wrong. Does that give you satisfaction? Do you feel better? I looked up the "official boundary lines." Looks like Camden County is not part of it, but Ocean County (South Jersey) is. I always considered the "tristate" area to include NJ, NY, and CT. We'll have to qualify that to mean only part of NJ is in the "tristate" region, as if that makes any sense. A "schmear" is just a slang reference like "kosher" has come to mean a fallacy and the term has come into the common language used by Jews and non-Jews, generalizing the meaning to something unrelated to the original term. S----K is another. "Schmear" has come into general usage in my region to mean a small portion of a spreadable food. Its not even a real "Yiddish" word, my Jewish friends tell me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Yo...ropolitan_area

Peep all that you like. Do the happy dance. I won't know since I placed you on ignore. You fit the stereotyped NJ guy and give all of us the bad reputation of rudeness, boorish, ill-mannered folks, bringing that type of attitude to wherever you move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom