Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 11:56 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I'm now wondering which accent from a former English colony sounds most annoying and unattractive to the English, American, Australian, Canadian, Caribbean or perhaps another? I find it interesting how a few years of being isolated from England changes how people speak the language.
I'm going to take a wild guess here, but I'd say the American accent especially harsh ones like from the Northeast are at the top of the list to be despised by the British. When I used to travel for work to the UK and continental Europe many people thought I was Canadian for whatever reason even though I am from the northeast/mid atlantic. Part of it was because I wasn't acting like an *ss like many Americans they'd encountered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 12:03 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
It's more yu, than ye at least in my vernacular.

And me, is my, so it's me house, or me car, rather than my house, or my car.

Never heard axe for ask, thought that was an Ebonics thing. Or may be I'm just posh.
Obviously posh, and college educated Gungnir. Unlike me who left school at 14.......

It's me birthday you see. Born in August, so started school at 4 years and a few weeks. Some kids in my class were born in the previous September. So, they left school in July, almost 16 years old, with me almost 15 years old.

I don't think I was supposed to leave really, as the official leaving age in those days was 15. I didn't say anything, and I don't think anybody noticed....... My first week at work, I was still 14 years old.

They increased the leaving age to 16, a few years after I left, so all kids took 'O' Level exams in that last year. Nowadays, most kids stay on to a minimum 18 to take further exams, and a huge number go on to university. Back in my day, only posh kids went on to university.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:31 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,600,460 times
we're probably about the same then, I joined school at 5 years old, no nurseries back then, and I left at 15 well just before my 15th birthday actually and started work a couple of weeks after it, nobody I know went to university we all left school and went into paid work.
experience was deemed more useful than a scrap of paper.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:03 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
we're probably about the same then, I joined school at 5 years old, no nurseries back then, and I left at 15 well just before my 15th birthday actually and started work a couple of weeks after it, nobody I know went to university we all left school and went into paid work.
experience was deemed more useful than a scrap of paper.
Yeah, it was a different world when I left school. Out to work you went, and had to pay your way at home for your keep.

I only saw folks who went to university in films...... Still, we got a good education in those years we actually went.

I have told this story before, but maybe not here. I saw a telly show a few years ago, that was real interesting.

They got a group of modern kids to have a 1950s education for a month. At the end of that, they were given an exam to take. These kids had a very high opinion of themselves. Good exam results in whatever they take these days at 16.

So, they had no calculators, or any modern device to hand. All they had was the teachers, and their brains. At the end of the months instruction, they took the exam. I think there were about 35 kids taking it, and only about 7 passed. It turned out these so called educated kids were taking the 11 plus from 1955. The exam that 11 year old kids took in 1955, most of them failed at 16.

It was a sobering experience for them. Not quite as smart as they thought they were.

Old 01-27-2019, 02:09 AM

5,407 posts, read 3,600,460 times
a broad Devon accent can take some time to understand, but is slowly dying due to the number of incomers.

Old 01-27-2019, 02:27 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpaul View Post
a broad Devon accent can take some time to understand, but is slowly dying due to the number of incomers.
Yeah, I've already mentioned, Somerset, but Devon, Cornwall, Zummrrzit, Dorset can all be totally opaque with a heavy accent.

There is a term I'd use to describe it, but it won't actually meet the ToS limitations, due to PG rating.

Old 01-27-2019, 03:36 AM

18,529 posts, read 18,748,986 times
English accents sound much more pronounced in US movies Ive noticed. and do sound over the top... why this is I dont know.

Old 01-27-2019, 03:40 AM

34,230 posts, read 18,575,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
English accents sound much more pronounced in US movies Ive noticed. and do sound over the top... why this is I dont know.
Because Hollywood exaggerates a lot of their content, and many English accents are faked.

Old 01-27-2019, 04:33 AM

18,529 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Because Hollywood exaggerates a lot of their content, and many English accents are faked.
I was meaning real English actors in US movies..

Old 01-27-2019, 04:43 AM

8,278 posts, read 6,274,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Might just be contrast Dizz.

If you have an English accent amongst a group of American accents, it will stand out.

Like English movies with one American, that also sounds forced.

Or maybe not. Just thinking out loud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom