Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2019, 10:49 AM

7,855 posts, read 10,289,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulsterman View Post
I believe a lot of the rigmarole carried out by the RC church and the high COE in their churches was carried over from the pagans. Some people need these displays and perhaps it gives a sense of mystery. But if people need this so be it they are doing no harm
the free Presbyterians could do with a bit of colour on the walls, bit spartan looking if I recall
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 11:32 AM

1,820 posts, read 1,164,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_bob View Post
the free Presbyterians could do with a bit of colour on the walls, bit spartan looking if I recall

Aye, that's one way of looking at it but to each their own. For me all that razz-ma-tazz is a turn-off. When I see them on TV swinging something with smoke coming out of it and sticking out their tongues for the priest. Aggggg but whatever turns them on.

Old 03-10-2019, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Aye, that's one way of looking at it but to each their own. For me all that razz-ma-tazz is a turn-off. When I see them on TV swinging something with smoke coming out of it and sticking out their tongues for the priest. Aggggg but whatever turns them on.
Most receive communion in the hand or used to, don't Anglicans also receive communion?

If you want to see real smoke, check out an Eastern orthodox Church service if you ever get the chance, the Catholics have nothing on it

Last edited by irish_bob; 03-10-2019 at 12:04 PM..

Old 03-10-2019, 11:42 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,477,629 times
Quote:
I believe a lot of the rigmarole carried out by the RC church and the high COE in their churches was carried over from the pagans. Some people need these displays and perhaps it gives a sense of mystery. But if people need this so be it they are doing no harm

why not just go back to reformed paganism?

Old 03-10-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
why not just go back to reformed paganism?

You'd have to ask Rome that. They brought the pagans on board.

Old 03-10-2019, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Most receive communion in the hand or uses to

Wasn't aware of that. Any films I've seen has them sticking out their tongues to receive the wafer. The belief is that they are accepting the body of Christ and the wine is the blood of Christ.

Luther and Zwingle's fall-out was over something similar. Luther believed in Contransubstantiation ie the spirit of Christ is in the bread and wine. Not the body ( as believed by the RC church )

Zwingle, however, believed that the bread and wine only represented the body and blood of Christ

So there you have it three different 'takes' on what constitutes the Last Supper or Mass

Old 03-10-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Wasn't aware of that. Any films I've seen has them sticking out their tongues to receive the wafer. The belief is that they are accepting the body of Christ and the wine is the blood of Christ.

Luther and Zwingle's fall-out was over something similar. Luther believed in Contransubstantiation ie the spirit of Christ is in the bread and wine. Not the body ( as believed by the RC church )

Zwingle, however, believed that the bread and wine only represented the body and blood of Christ

So there you have it three different 'takes' on what constitutes the Last Supper or Mass
I'm no theologian so one of them might be right or all of them wrong

Do Presbyterians take communion - wafer - biscuit at all?, I thought the Anglicans did but perhaps I'm wrong

Old 03-11-2019, 02:50 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Quote:

Do Presbyterians take communion - wafer - biscuit at all?, I thought the Anglicans did but perhaps I'm wrong
Never heard of it in Scotland but think the English church does have communion,Ill take a look https://www.churchofengland.org/abou...ican-communion

Old 03-11-2019, 03:01 PM

Quote:

I honestly don't know but I attended a Methodist church as a youngster and I can remember a wooden tray with a lot of round holes and in them were small glasses containing wine . From what I remember these were to commemorate the Last Supper. Again if memory is correct this took place once a month after the church service was finished and was open to those who wished to remain.

Old 03-13-2019, 02:43 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Think the whole confession thing is the one that annoys me most..does that give free reign to do what someone wants no matter how bad then it all get washed away by talking and confessing to a priest.... amazing stuff...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom