Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2019, 03:40 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,094 times

Advertisements

The tram ticket machine was the standard one before later the buses for example got a long one with several differnet flows of tickets. Mine prints"Glasgow Corporation Tramways."The wee handle on the side and the ticket roll out the front and at the top a dial like the old phones where you stuck the finger in and turned. There is also a wee metal sliding clip for things like child fare ad other things. Got it decades ago at the annual model rail show (now I the SECC) and back ages ago it was in the McLellan Galleries on Sauchiehall Street. Was a tramway society that had think it was around five or so for sale and had also the seperate conductor money bag! Anyway it was £5 then and today you would be paying around 15 times that. Will send you my tram website address. The buildings won't be the same as was as they are ones built by the TRAINZ simulator website members. Every single line I on my site and those trams and often shake my head wondering how I ever managed to do over a hundred miles of where lines and walk them all as well. It is a giant build and amongst the largest tram routes on an actual one that used to exist. Will send it on Wednesday and even I am surprised I even managed to build what was GB's 2nd biggest system when closed (boo-hoo) in 1962.

I did note an earlier general comment about crime but there are cities across Britain with that problem but we are not some free for all. Decades ago there was a famous Scots journalist who was a staunch Glaswegian and wrote about the city and his name was Jack House. Jack would get humorous digs at posh and snooty Edinburgh and in an article in one of Glasgow's then 2 evening papers said that he had to say there was one very good road in Edinburgh and that was the one that led to Glasgow!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 03:24 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,729,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
The tram ticket machine was the standard one before later the buses for example got a long one with several differnet flows of tickets. Mine prints"Glasgow Corporation Tramways."The wee handle on the side and the ticket roll out the front and at the top a dial like the old phones where you stuck the finger in and turned. There is also a wee metal sliding clip for things like child fare ad other things. Got it decades ago at the annual model rail show (now I the SECC) and back ages ago it was in the McLellan Galleries on Sauchiehall Street. Was a tramway society that had think it was around five or so for sale and had also the seperate conductor money bag! Anyway it was £5 then and today you would be paying around 15 times that. Will send you my tram website address. The buildings won't be the same as was as they are ones built by the TRAINZ simulator website members. Every single line I on my site and those trams and often shake my head wondering how I ever managed to do over a hundred miles of where lines and walk them all as well. It is a giant build and amongst the largest tram routes on an actual one that used to exist. Will send it on Wednesday and even I am surprised I even managed to build what was GB's 2nd biggest system when closed (boo-hoo) in 1962.

I did note an earlier general comment about crime but there are cities across Britain with that problem but we are not some free for all. Decades ago there was a famous Scots journalist who was a staunch Glaswegian and wrote about the city and his name was Jack House. Jack would get humorous digs at posh and snooty Edinburgh and in an article in one of Glasgow's then 2 evening papers said that he had to say there was one very good road in Edinburgh and that was the one that led to Glasgow!
Oh aye Jack House remember him well.... and the other wee man Tom Weir.. brother of Molly Weir he was good as well in another way...........oh Id love to see photos of the ticket machine I remembere vividly the last tram parade in Glasgow.. never realizing at the time what we d be missing forever and how it would change Glasgow... ..loved reading this rj... thanks..

Old 02-27-2019, 05:32 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,094 times
A quarter of a million folk turned out dizzybint for that last day procession. At that time Glasgow's population was over a million people so says what folk thought about trams.Just prior to that the last operating line was the No 9 from Auchenshuggle to Dalmuir West. For two days I used the lovely Coronation trams and they had special long pink tickets and on the edge of them they had names of places. Take it that must have been a reproduction of some early day time in the history. That No 9 wasI think about a 12 mile run and well used. A lot of folk don't know that after the closure about a few days later the old Corporation ran a tram down to Dalmuir West for the benefit of Clydebank people. As a wee boy my family lived in Whiteinch and we had 5 tram routes passed our window. As I recall we had 2 bus routes into the city but my mum would never take me in on a bus always a tram. The continent kept trams but here in GB we got carried away and instead of modernising instead thought we were all very modern and stuff trams.

A man down in England built my Glasgow tram "caurs" and made a brilliant job of each style. The buildings I have are not exactly like the then reality and I just depended on the hundreds made to bud my giant sight. One can drive a tram zoom out mov to another and so on. Great fun and means I am showing what was Britain's then outstanding system and before WW2 transport executives came here to see the greatness of it. Still find it hard to believe that I followed every dashed former route and over that 100 miles! Sorry for delay but will be in touch very soon. Meantime -www.glasgowtramsim.moonfruit.com

To those who have not been to this great city poor you. The former second city and famous in Empire days for shipbuilding, massive train building works for railways across the world and so on - indeed once regarded as the second city of Empire. That reminds me that when at Whiteinch Primary school we celebrated Empire Day by everyone wearing youth organisation confirms. Although there were cubs the junior organisation of The Boys' Brigade back then was called The Life Boys and wore sailor hats and jumpers, etc. Because we vastly outnumbered the Cubs they kept quiet!

Old 02-28-2019, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjhowie View Post
A quarter of a million folk turned out dizzybint for that last day procession. At that time Glasgow's population was over a million people so says what folk thought about trams.Just prior to that the last operating line was the No 9 from Auchenshuggle to Dalmuir West. For two days I used the lovely Coronation trams and they had special long pink tickets and on the edge of them they had names of places. Take it that must have been a reproduction of some early day time in the history. That No 9 wasI think about a 12 mile run and well used. A lot of folk don't know that after the closure about a few days later the old Corporation ran a tram down to Dalmuir West for the benefit of Clydebank people. As a wee boy my family lived in Whiteinch and we had 5 tram routes passed our window. As I recall we had 2 bus routes into the city but my mum would never take me in on a bus always a tram. The continent kept trams but here in GB we got carried away and instead of modernising instead thought we were all very modern and stuff trams. Ca

A man down in England built my Glasgow tram "caurs" and made a brilliant job of each style. The buildings I have are not exactly like the then reality and I just depended on the hundreds made to bud my giant sight. One can drive a tram zoom out mov to another and so on. Great fun and means I am showing what was Britain's then outstanding system and before WW2 transport executives came here to see the greatness of it. Still find it hard to believe that I followed every dashed former route and over that 100 miles! Sorry for delay but will be in touch very soon. Meantime -www.glasgowtramsim.moonfruit.com

To those who have not been to this great city poor you. The former second city and famous in Empire days for shipbuilding, massive train building works for railways across the world and so on - indeed once regarded as the second city of Empire. That reminds me that when at Whiteinch Primary school we celebrated Empire Day by everyone wearing youth organisation confirms. Although there were cubs the junior organisation of The Boys' Brigade back then was called The Life Boys and wore sailor hats and jumpers, etc. Because we vastly outnumbered the Cubs they kept quiet!
Oh the no 9 ... it passed Bridgeton , remember it well.. your bringing back so many memories rj... [/url] the first female clippies.. probably WW1 [/url]

Last edited by dizzybint; 02-28-2019 at 02:20 AM..

Old 02-28-2019, 06:26 AM

To turn back time.. London road Bridgeton Glasgow no 9.[/url] [/url]
[/url]
][/url]

Last edited by dizzybint; 02-28-2019 at 07:09 AM..

Old 02-28-2019, 08:04 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,654,152 times
In those pictures, are the streets cobblestone or brick or a combination?

Old 02-28-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
In those pictures, are the streets cobblestone or brick or a combination?
people still refer to them as cobbles southbound but their actually setts...not cobbles which are generally round and not uniform as setts.....I also read that some towns had wooden setts on roads in the 19th century... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...ntral-15113475

A sett, usually referred to in the plural and known in some places as a Belgian block[1] or sampietrino, is a broadly rectangular quarried stone used for paving roads.[2] Formerly in widespread use, particularly on steeper streets because setts provided horses' hooves with better grip than a smooth surface, they are now encountered rather as decorative stone paving in landscape architecture.[3][4] Setts are often referred to as "cobbles", although a sett is distinct from a cobblestone in that it is quarried or worked to a regular shape, whereas the latter is generally a small, naturally-rounded rock. Setts are usually made of granite.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
people still refer to them as cobbles southbound but their actually setts...not cobbles at all.. as cobbles are round in shape...
Thanks dizzy. I appreciate that. I couldn't tell. Philadelphia still has a handful of cobblestone streets and they're rounded squares, for the most part. I've also seen brick used for sidewalks and streets. I tried to enlarge the pictures and lost detail definition.

Old 02-28-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
people still refer to them as cobbles southbound but their actually setts...not cobbles which are generally round and not uniform as setts.....I also read that some towns had wooden setts on roads in the 19th century... https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...ntral-15113475

A sett, usually referred to in the plural and known in some places as a Belgian block[1] or sampietrino, is a broadly rectangular quarried stone used for paving roads.[2] Formerly in widespread use, particularly on steeper streets because setts provided horses' hooves with better grip than a smooth surface, they are now encountered rather as decorative stone paving in landscape architecture.[3][4] Setts are often referred to as "cobbles", although a sett is distinct from a cobblestone in that it is quarried or worked to a regular shape, whereas the latter is generally a small, naturally-rounded rock. Setts are usually made of granite.
Oh. . .our cobblestones are also called Belgian blocks, but they're like a cube with rounded corners. They were used as ship ballast.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Oh. . .our cobblestones are also called Belgian blocks, but they're like a cube with rounded corners. They were used as ship ballast.
Oh really... didnt know that southbound... something else Ive learned thanks..... Ive seen small square ones around England more in some smaller town and think Edinburgh has them too.. Ill try and find some photos...Seems after the Romans left who built wonderful roads Britain fell back into the past it seems.. After the Romans departed, systematic construction of paved highways in the United Kingdom did not resume until the early 18th century. The Roman road network remained the only nationally-managed highway system within Britain until the establishment of the Ministry of Transport in the early 20th century. Following the withdrawal of the Roman Legions in 410 AD, the road system soon fell into disrepair. Parts of the network were retained by the Anglo-Saxons, eventually becoming integral routes in Anglo-Saxon Britain; however large sections were abandoned and lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom