Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 03:37 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,595,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
That's funny - I was just thinking the same thing!
After 30 odd years you get to know how to do it right..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 06:03 AM

1 posts, read 2,330 times
This may be helpful to you.... I feel these are the good places in UK which everyone really has to visit...

England
- Cornwall
Devon
Durham
Herefordshire
Isle of Wight
Kent
Lake District
London
New Forest
Norfolk
North York Moors
Northern England
Northumberland
Peak District
Shropshire
Somerset
South Coast of England
South West England
Suffolk
Sussex
Yorkshire Dales

Northern Ireland
-Co. Fermanagh

Scotland
-Aberdeenshire
Cairngorms
East Lothian
Edinburgh
Inner Hebrides
Isle of Mull
Loch Lomond
Loch Ness
Orkney
Perthshire
Scottish Borders
Scottish Highlands
Western Isles

Wales
-Brecon Beacons
Pembrokeshire
Powys
Snowdonia
West coast of Wales

Old 04-30-2008, 04:09 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,470,946 times
My 10 cents/5p worth: it's been proven (scientifically) time and again that there is no correlation between vacation allowance in the US and profitability of the company. In other words, US businesses are NO MORE successful than UK ones because of their vacation policies. Where I currently work I have the 6 major US public holidays and 11 days vacation and if I take a sick day, that counts as vacation. I've worked as an exempt full-time employee, non-exempt full-time employee, part-time hourly employee and I've temped so I've seen just about all aspects of the US work environment. I spent 10 years at one company so by the time I quit I had a whopping 20 days vacation. Sadly, you can't take that with you when you change jobs unless you have really good negotiating skills.

Most companies state you have to be there at least 3 years before you get another week's vacation, sometimes it's 5 years.

I think in the UK everyone has loads of vacation but can't afford to go anywhere because UK/Europe is so freaking expensive! Here in the US people take so little vacation time that businesses fork out a fortune in healthcare costs and have to provide policies that include coverage for "mental health" treatment, addiction counseling, legal aid assistance and so on.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:22 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post

I think in the UK everyone has loads of vacation but can't afford to go anywhere because UK/Europe is so freaking expensive!

Here in the US people take so little vacation time that businesses fork out a fortune in healthcare costs and have to provide policies that include coverage for "mental health" treatment, addiction counseling, legal aid assistance and so on.
Well, it seems expensive from here when you are exchanging US $ for GB £! If the exchange rate were better, it would still be the same price in Europe, if you see what I mean...?

And yes that's true, if people had more vacation time, less stress and a better work/life balance, then they would definitely be healthier.

Old 04-30-2008, 05:04 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,470,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Well, it seems expensive from here when you are exchanging US $ for GB £! If the exchange rate were better, it would still be the same price in Europe, if you see what I mean...?

And yes that's true, if people had more vacation time, less stress and a better work/life balance, then they would definitely be healthier.
Oh, trust me, it's expensive from the UK point of view too. Just because you have to pay £5 for a gallon of petrol and then drive your 10-gallon hatchback to Scotland for 2 weeks doesn't mean your income can actually afford that.

You should check out the Take Back Your Time website.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:16 PM

605 posts, read 2,380,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post

I think in the UK everyone has loads of vacation but can't afford to go anywhere because UK/Europe is so freaking expensive!
*******s! In the UK things cost more but people earn more. This is as daft as a Brit generalizing and saying that the Scandinavians or Japanese must never go on vacation because things cost more there.

Added to this Europe has an excellent network of low-cost airlines that make getting around easy and cheap.

Old 05-01-2008, 03:47 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,234,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
*******s! In the UK things cost more but people earn more. This is as daft as a Brit generalizing and saying that the Scandinavians or Japanese must never go on vacation because things cost more there.

Added to this Europe has an excellent network of low-cost airlines that make getting around easy and cheap.
Oh I dunno... I can't afford to go anywhere, if that's any help. There are cheap flights, yes, but accommodation can still be pricey can't it? (assuming you don't want to go on a package deal to the Costa Chav-magnet...)

The petrol thing really isn't helping. £40 to fill up a tank that isn't even a 1.2, it's just under!! Criminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom