U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 10:33 PM

342 posts, read 1,839,412 times

Advertisements

I am considering applying for some jobs in London and I was wondering what the typical number of weeks of vacation per year is for people in England.

One of the main attractions to me of living in London is being able to travel to other parts of Europe. However if I get a tiny American style vacation allowance of two weeks it may not be worth the trouble.

So if you could give me some idea of how many weeks of vacation the typical working person in the UK gets from their employer I would greatly appreciate it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 11:11 PM

10,439 posts, read 47,493,109 times
Americans take the fewest annual vacation days in the industrialized world.

These are the average annual vacation days for the top countries.

Italy 42 - France 37 - Germany 35 - Brazil 34
Britain 28 - Canada 26 - South Korea 25 - Japan 25
U.S. 13

Americans continue to give back almost $19.5 billion in unused vacation time to their employers. Dopes ! Yet they complain about not being paid enough.

Did you get the immigration thing licked yet? You cant just go to the UK and start working.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:15 AM

38 posts, read 145,714 times
Four weeks holiday is the norm.for many people.Some people get as much as six weeks.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:13 PM

25,107 posts, read 37,296,103 times
Employers are not obligated to provide any vacation in the US. Most do however.

If an employee does not take vacation, that is the employees fault - not the employer.

Old 04-12-2008, 07:24 PM

24,653 posts, read 24,296,636 times
Oh come on, the greatest complaint Americans have about their jobs is that THEY HAVE NO TIME. No TIME to have a life. We work more than an 8 hour day and often are required to work on weekends and then all we get are too stupid weeks vacation. Oh--and we don't get paid anything extra for all those extra hours we have to put in. It's all very competitive and stressful and you're just supposed to be "professional" and not complain.

If the average American ever found out those numbers above with all the weeks off, well, maybe there would be a rebellion over here. and THAT'S why the OP is asking if workers in the UK get more than our silly two weeks.

Old 04-13-2008, 04:30 AM

4,663 posts, read 7,864,728 times
British employers have to legally provide 4 weeks of paid vacation. Most decent employers will offer 5. There are also 8 public holiday days that are honoured by most.

Employers have to give 6 months maternity leave, and 1 week of Paternity. My company gives 2 weeks Paternity and 6 months sick pay should you need it. Career breaks are also now becoming more common with employers offering a 1 year break unpaid.

Even if the OP gets two weeks off only, you can still do many weekend breaks to mainland Europe.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:47 AM

521 posts, read 1,415,297 times
Can't add too much to what's been said above. The legal minimum is 20 days paid holiday/vacation per year but this can include the 8 public holidays (known as Bank Holidays in the UK) already mentioned.

The reality is that most employers will provide at least 20 days + the 8 public holidays and to be honest, that would be considered low by many people (outside of manual/service industry).

Old 04-13-2008, 09:20 AM

13,039 posts, read 23,379,093 times
20 days is the mandatory minimum PLUS the minimum 8 public holidays but most decent employers offer at least 25 days and local government and government jobs even more. My fiance who works for the MOD gets 32 days Plus the national days plus the Queen's birthday ( !!!!!) and two extra days and 2 days off flexileave a month if he has worked over his mandated hours ( 37 hrs a week).

He could have gone to the private sector and earned a lot more but we prefer to enjoy our life and travel. Money is great but if you don't have time to spend it, it's pretty useless...

Old 04-13-2008, 03:23 PM

10,439 posts, read 47,493,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
British employers have to legally provide 4 weeks of paid vacation. Most decent employers will offer 5. There are also 8 public holiday days that are honoured by most.

Employers have to give 6 months maternity leave, and 1 week of Paternity. My company gives 2 weeks Paternity and 6 months sick pay should you need it. Career breaks are also now becoming more common with employers offering a 1 year break unpaid.

Even if the OP gets two weeks off only, you can still do many weekend breaks to mainland Europe.
Awesome !!!!

More proof that America is falling behind.

Career breaks? Now I heard everything.

Old 04-13-2008, 03:31 PM

25,107 posts, read 37,296,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
Awesome !!!!

More proof that America is falling behind.

Career breaks? Now I heard everything.
He was talking about EUROPE!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom